What did you blog about today?

More bloggery!

Yes, it's surprising, but I've answered the question you've all been earnestly pondering: what's the difference between the Penguin and Oxford editions of Polybius?

Thad's on a roll!

@Dan Jones press ganged me to do some content while he gallivants around the place with his family

My video review on the new Kobo Elipsa. I perform an in-depth demonstration of it's note-taking capabilities using 6 criteria. And answer why authors, student's and anyone who writes on paper, should 'take note' of it's capabilities.

1. Likelihood to lose the pen
  2. Boot speed to ‘write-ready’ state
  3. Note-Taking experience
  4. Handwriting conversion effectiveness
  5. Ease of transfer to computer
  6. Annotations of documents

Link here -> Kobo Elipsa Note-Taking Review

I'm publishing a novella, called The Gigantomachy Of Antonios Costas, on my blog. It's kind of a Lovecraftian Indiana Jones style adventure story set in Athens. It follows two Greek academics who embark upon an archaeological dig to find ancient Greek treasures and antiquities after a giant sinkhole appears in the centre of the city. Of course, down in the darkness they find a great deal more than they bargained for. I'll publish a chapter a week over the next 13 weeks.

Chapter 1 - The Gigantomachy Of Antonios Costas

I took a brief look at different types of backstory. I may also have had a bit too much fun naming them... ;)

What’s Your Backstory?

Really enjoyed this one! Never really thought of it all this way but it makes a ton of sense.

A pedantic thought - "just like Budapest" comments can be removed without harming the narrative, but I do think their removal harms the story as it removes something of a sense of wonder and connection. It's like how removing a sauce from a meal doesn't harm the ingredients - and you might never feel the need for it if you never knew it existed - but once you have it, you know it makes things better and removing it makes things worse.

A pedantic thought - "just like Budapest" comments can be removed without harming the narrative, but I do think their removal harms the story as it removes something of a sense of wonder and connection. It's like how removing a sauce from a meal doesn't harm the ingredients - and you might never feel the need for it if you never knew it existed - but once you have it, you know it makes things better and removing it makes things worse.
I agree 100%! You don't NEED them in a story, but personally I love these little throwaway bits of the past. :)

(And thanks for the nice comment!)

Just posted Chapter 2 of my novella The Gigantomachy of Antonios Costas.

I agree 100%! You don't NEED them in a story, but personally I love these little throwaway bits of the past. :)

(And thanks for the nice comment!)
I also liked this post very much. The Budapest line reminds me of the backstory between Indy and Marion in Raiders of the Lost Ark - there are a couple of lines like, "I was a child! I was in love!" - "You knew what you were doing." And that's it! That's all we get, yet it adds a very real dimension to their relationship, and their chemistry is all the greater for it (perhaps it's telling that the other "Indy girls" in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade are met "en route" during the adventure and thus didn't have that element of backstory for the writers to play with).