What did you blog about today?

I like the review of Sliverberg. I've always struggled a bit with stories that mix science fiction and fantasy, but Silverberg does it very well.
Yes, I agree. At the virtual WorldCon this year, he had some online chats with other authors and one of the things that came up was the difference between SF and fantasy and how he didn't see much ground between them. He referenced his Majipoor books that could be read as either/or, and seemed to hold to George Martin's assertion that the difference is just really the furniture. I think there is some truth to this, but as you intimate, you can perhaps only straddle the fence successfully if the writing is really good. Interestingly, Martin's short story "With Morning Comes Mistfall" is essentially saying, if we only have the rationale (exemplified by hard SF), we lose the magic of the universe and there's value in unexplained mystery too. I think this viewpoint underpins how the likes of Martin and Silverberg approach speculative fiction.

Honestly, I was not that into it at the start. This wasn't as big a turn around for me as The Lies of Locke Lamora, which went from being a bit frustrating to having one of the best middle and ends of anything I've ever read, but I did enjoy it more, and the ending was very engaging.

Gate of Ivrel sounds quite interesting.

Yesterday's post is a deep dive into some of the writing choices Eddings made when writing the Malloreon, particularly in terms of agency and themes

The Malloreon by David Eddings

Honestly, I was not that into it at the start. This wasn't as big a turn around for me as The Lies of Locke Lamora, which went from being a bit frustrating to having one of the best middle and ends of anything I've ever read, but I did enjoy it more, and the ending was very engaging.

Gate of Ivrel sounds quite interesting.

I half considered going back, but I know that if I'm not enjoying the author's voice, I'll nitpick the book to pieces.

I think Gate of Ivrel would be very much you thing from what I've noticed.