What did you blog about today?

I concluded my selective read through of 2014 Analog, and made some comments on differences in quality and awards to 1970's and 80's Analog here.
Great reviews, Bick. Some interesting conclusions about the overall quality of Analog's modern output and the dilution of the pool of available talent and stories. I wonder if the advent of self-publishing is part of the problem as well. Authors used to prolifically send stories to magazines in order to be noticed by publishers, now people who self-publish focus on that and only look at the magazines as an afterthought.

Yeah, self publishing may not have helped, I agree. But it the main, I think it’s a shift in the writing/submission habits of the best SF authors. If you think of the best selling names in SF (and they are best selling because they are very good at what they do, in the main) how many submit short stories to the old print magazines anymore? Scalzi, Reynolds, Bujold, Weber, Hamilton, Gaiman, Tchaikovsky, Robinson, Leckie, Corey? Back in the day, authors of this stature published their short fiction in one of only a few magazines, and often in Astounding/Analog. The writers I listed never do now.

Could that not also be a measure of how successful authors in the science fiction field can become. These authors regularly get on bestseller lists, in the 80s that was nearly unheard of. It hardly seems worth it for them to publish short fiction at a few pennies a word.