What did you blog about today?

Basically, I'm combining my two hats here, management stuff and writing with my new golden rule about working and writing:

Earn as much as you can per hour; work as few hours as you need to.

I think the future for doing more of this is good.

I'm cynical of Patreon working for anyone unless they already have a significant following. I look at YouTubers with big subscription numbers pulling small dollar figures on Patreon. There's also the danger of Patreon changing the rules to grab a bigger percentage, too, which is something I believe they tried before.

Personally I think putting your efforts into your business, Jo, remains the most cost-effective - but I'll be happy to be proved wrong. :)

I'm cynical of Patreon working for anyone unless they already have a significant following. I look at YouTubers with big subscription numbers pulling small dollar figures on Patreon. There's also the danger of Patreon changing the rules to grab a bigger percentage, too, which is something I believe they tried before.

Personally I think putting your efforts into your business, Jo, remains the most cost-effective - but I'll be happy to be proved wrong. :)

Well, that was pretty much what the blog argued....

The context of Patreon is that they do change their terms next month and those already enrolled keep the better terms,hence launching now. My time maintaining it should be low.

Putting my efforts into my business is an ongoing thing and I continue to work away. But I’d like writing income to continue to become more significant so that there is a balance. Hence the blog: hourly rate is one of the focuses within that business. But writing income strands are worth looking at too and Patreon is a significant one for a growing number of writers.

Basically, I'm combining my two hats here, management stuff and writing with my new golden rule about working and writing:

Earn as much as you can per hour; work as few hours as you need to.

I think the future for doing more of this is good.

There be wisdom here. Hell, even if you're not a writer, there be wisdom here.

The trick is now to work out which of industries offer the best go here and get requalifying.

Also... for Americans, staying in work simply to get health care is an even more powerful incentive. I remember reading an article a while back on Americans who spend 10-15 years working like mad in very high-pay environments and living frugally, then retire in their 40s... a lot of them still pick up shifts at Starbucks or where ever, simply to get health insurance.

A review of Peter Frankopan's The Silk Roads. Yes, it's a real book this time. I actually had to read something, rather than making up a fake book to review.

A real book? Stop this silliness!

Good review. I have a copy that I got as a gift somewhere - I should dig it out sometime.

I couldn't finish that one. Read like a list.

It is the nature of a historical survey, I think. Some of topics, however, were new to me (the Ghaznavids come to mind) and kept my interest, while the twin themes of east-west connections and economics, rather than religious/ethnic identity or ideology, as a driving force of history was done well.

For anyone with a decent background on the history of Central Asia, however, this book will definitely lack depth.

Several years out of date, I review the XCOM DLC (which I got on sale). Mostly positive, to be honest: XCOM 2 DLC Review (PS4)

Big Peat, that's the advantage of being a citizen of the PC Master Race rather than a console peasant.

Some daft comedy, mixing the enthusiasm of Jasper/Colin with the self-regard of Sir Edric. First of some videos about The Three-Inch Fool, an Argonian with a fondness for cheese and murder: The Three-Inch Fool part 1

A theatrical version? Maybe Samuel Beckett. Or Lin-Manuel Miranda (wrote Hamilton). I wonder if an AI will have to pay the price
of admission to see a show or if I can sneak it in on my phone.