What did you blog about today?

Interesting review. I haven't read this one, but I did read his Traitor's Blade books and found them enjoyable, though he also had very long and very descriptive fight scenes in them.

I couldn't get into that. Based on Spellslinger I kinda want to give them another go... but not quite enough to open it up right now.

I didn't enjoy Traitor's Blade and didn't finish reading it. I could forgive the reliance on plot convenience ("I was knocked unconscious and taken to the next setting the author wanted me in"), but when it came to the horse torture scene I had to put it down. It wasn't just the discomfort the scene intentionally invoked, but the sudden reveal that the main character had a deep spiritual connection to horses - something that had gone unmentioned in the first half of the book, and felt wholly contrived.

The Not At All Late Peat's Top 10 Books Read Last Year

I didn't enjoy Traitor's Blade and didn't finish reading it. I could forgive the reliance on plot convenience ("I was knocked unconscious and taken to the next setting the author wanted me in"), but when it came to the horse torture scene I had to put it down. It wasn't just the discomfort the scene intentionally invoked, but the sudden reveal that the main character had a deep spiritual connection to horses - something that had gone unmentioned in the first half of the book, and felt wholly contrived.

Very bad writing indeed. And editing. I can get a writer forgetting to do that, but surely an editor should pick that shizzle up?

Finding a Rhythm - The second draft, or how I continue to learn that there are no copy and past writing styles. Everyone is different and after letting myself discover my own method, writing is less of a chore, and a lot more fun.

A best of blog, from all the samples in Snapshots 2-5 I read (about two dozen). Some are really good, I'm planning on getting the Black Gate Chronicles right after I finish Oathbringer (which may be a while, but it's still a plan).

Anyway, good read for people after new fantasy: Thaddeus the Sixth: Snapshots – pick of the bunch