What did you blog about today?

Thanks for the great questions, Big Peat :)

Nice review @The Big Peat! It's on my to-read list, and I do love a flawed hero. (I'm moderating a panel she's on in February, and your review has given me a couple of ideas, so thanks!)

I think you'd definitely like it. It's got a YA vibe that seems to fit in with some of the books you've listed as liking - I'm actually reading a Bardugo at the moment, and I see similarities. What's the panel on?

Ooh, which Bardugo? If Six of Crows, I loved it.

I'm not really supposed to say until it's up on the Con website and officially out there, but *whispers* free will and prophecies.

Its Shadow and Bone and I've gotta say, after initially enjoying the writing style and premise a lot, the actions of the characters nearly made me throw the book across the room twice in ten pages. So it'll probably be a DNF.

edit: Also... yes. Yes, there'll be a lot of good questions for her based on that. I don't want to say more for the risk of spoiler territory, but a question about one of those subjects immediately sprang to mind. Go read the book so I can discuss it with you dagnabbit! :p

Shadow and Bone

Her Six of Crows duology is her more recent work, and I liked it a lot more than Shadow and Bone. You don't actually have to read the Grisha books to read Six of Crows, although it takes place parallel to the Grishaverse. My daughter jumped straight in and had no problem following it. So maybe try that one instead? (It's a heist-style story with a band of thieves, and reminded me a little of Scott Lynch's Locke Lamora books.)

Her Six of Crows duology is her more recent work, and I liked it a lot more than Shadow and Bone. You don't actually have to read the Grisha books to read Six of Crows, although it takes place parallel to the Grishaverse. My daughter jumped straight in and had no problem following it. So maybe try that one instead? (It's a heist-style story with a band of thieves, and reminded me a little of Scott Lynch's Locke Lamora books.)

I would have if the library had had it. But they didn't, so I couldn't. I'll either see if they have Six of Crows somewhere else in the borough, or maybe try her Wonder Woman book - I like her style, but the characters in this one are so dense that its a wonder that the earth's crust can hold them.

I'm flogging some stuff off. Books and videogames (mostly PS2/3, though if you want Shadow of Mordor for the PS4 that's up there). Quite like to sell, if possible, to Chronners as there's less chance of Dodgy Man From The Internet stuff happening.

Anyway, some fantasy books up there, so give it a quick look if you're after a second hand (but very good condition) bargain:
Thaddeus the Sixth: Sale of books and videogames