What did you blog about today?

Interesting...
I think one thing most authors find particularly difficult is separating personal character traits from "author traits" if I could put it like that. Even these days I have an occasional twinge of annoyance at what some other lucky author has done. Healthy envy is a nice thing to aspire to, but I wonder how often the other sort takes over!

I bought a kora a couple of years ago. I wasn't expecting it to be easy to play, but what got me was how, like a piano, you have to be able to do that thing where the left hand plays something different to the right hand. Even as a guitarist, I found that difficult. Also, I didn't realise that koras are "handed" i.e. right handed. I'm left handed, and that has made a difference, unfortunately.
IMG_1642.JPG

I'd love to see a fantasy one of those.

It's definitely broad-church and includes a little fantasy but I'd be interested in a full fantasy one, myself - I just don't know enough fantasy books to make a dedicated list of offbeat ones.

Good stuff. Novellas (when not in book form like Tor.com Publishing which is still a pretty exclusive thing) are hard to publish for writers and harder to find for readers. Just to add some stuff, you've got the major markets but, regardless of guidelines, Clarkesworld has published three novellas in the past couple of years while BCS has published two and Lightspeed and Uncanny one each. Not sure if these are people bucking the guidelines and getting through, if the eds made special calls for novellas somewhere along the line, or if these were even solicited from specific authors but the zines did publish novellas. There are also markets that do pay more than nothing but less than pro rates (I recently read novellas from at least Cirsova and Grimdark for Tangent reviews, for instance) but I don't know about those generally.)