What did you blog about today?

Thanks for that, night_wtr, was unaware that existed. I think there are also fantasy versions [maybe sci-fi...] of Alexander the Great's exploits. Although it'd be hard to match what history tells us whilst retaining suspension of disbelief.

Thanks for that, night_wtr, was unaware that existed. I think there are also fantasy versions [maybe sci-fi...] of Alexander the Great's exploits. Although it'd be hard to match what history tells us whilst retaining suspension of disbelief.

I remember seeing a few, but I feel any fantasy story of Alexander would fall short of the historical shadow. Its amazing enough already.

Gemmell wrote a fantasy about Troy, but I've never read it.

Mary Renault's Alexander trilogy (Fire From Heaven, The Persian Boy, Funeral Games) is brilliant. (Perhaps less emphasis on the military nuts and bolts than some would want, but that suited me.) The characters in it very much felt to me like real people of those times, rather than modern day people in fancy dress.

I was joined by Amy DuBoff, an indie author who writes really good Space Opera, the kind just up my street. Here she's talking about the importance of having an author brand, something I fail spectacularly at but am now musing on. Dysfunctional families? Norn Irish SF (but then where does Abendau fit in?) Edge of Madness (but then where does Inish fit in?) Character led spec fiction? Can you guys do any better with your own stuff:

Fostering An Author Brand: Amy DuBoff - Jo Zebedee

Very true. I enjoyed it a lot.

It occurs to me that, if anyone ever would like me to interview them on my blog, I'd be up for that.

Last edited: