What did you blog about today?

Bit of a change of topic form me today, but I was moved to write it in the wake of England's thrashing of the West Indies in Birmingham. West Indies are without Vision, Leadership, and Purpose. One for cricket fans.

Listening to that Malcolm innings was one of the great experiences of my childhood - it was like a previously dormant volcano had erupted. One thing to consider - I've heard it alleged but not sure if true - but to what extent are great Caribbean fast bowlers now becoming baseball fast pitchers?

Thanks, Vladd. The next part is pretty much written (I actually did that a while ago but I've been busy with other stuff) so there'll be a part 2, beyond that depends on views etc. It does require some work (I can remember the first part off the top of my head, but the rest requires actually playing the game).

Listening to that Malcolm innings was one of the great experiences of my childhood - it was like a previously dormant volcano had erupted.

Yes, great times. And he never did it again. He got around 8% of his international wickets in that innings!

One thing to consider - I've heard it alleged but not sure if true - but to what extent are great Caribbean fast bowlers now becoming baseball fast pitchers?

I've heard this too, that young Caribbean sportsmen and women are being tapped up by US agents and teams, but it's hard to prove a negative. How do you know they are great fast bowlers if they don't get the chance to bowl? In any case I think it's the same problem as I outlined in the blog; if test cricket is no longer viable as a vehicle for social empowerment, they seriously need to rethink their strategy for keeping it a part of their social and sporting tapestry. That's of course if the CWI folks even want to. My suggestion would be to tap into their heritage; in theory it's not that difficult, because the majority of their greats (with a few exceptions, like Malcom Marshall) are still alive and kicking.

And finally... I never you were a cricket fan. We have so much (else) to talk about now!

A very exciting blog about why armies were so damned slow (six miles a day was entirely normal): Thaddeus the Sixth: Marching Speeds

I really enjoyed that! Have been a bit peeved at the way armies seem to move miraculously fast in the Game of Thrones TV series. (I seem to remember that the books did a better job of showing distance/time.)

Thanks, Juliana. There could be exceptions. Alexander, Hannibal and Caesar were all pretty fast (Alexander was almost alone pursuing Darius because almost nobody could keep up with him). But mostly armies were super slow.