What did you blog about today?

So the thing about showing characters do what they do best early.

I was thinking about this and was going to say, as a sort of "Doesn't always follow", that I'm pretty sure that Harry Potter's best skill isn't in fact getting abused a lot patiently.

Then I stopped to think about what actually happens to Harry, particularly how he defeats Voldermort.

And now I feel like I've seen a guy do a Rubiks cube in 12 seconds blindfolded.

Some thoughts on originality and "new ideas".

Words to That Effect: Can I Write It? Yes, You Can!

Even though this blog focuses on originality, I think it would really help someone in this thread. I think your last paragraph in particular would be very helpful to the person asking how much an editor 'should' do, because, as you say, we're aiming to make things 'ours' and I think that member might have a problem with allowing themselves permission to do their own thing. Maybe not, but I thought I'd mention it.

pH

Thanks, Cathbad :)

Just on the particular couriers/troop movement speed: a single man can move massively faster than a large group. In medieval times moving even 6 miles a day (in poor terrain or with bad management) was not especially weird. In better conditions, 8-10 miles a day for foot soldiers, twice that for horsemen, was normal. With staging posts (for fresh horses) a single man could cover, theoretically, over a hundred miles (and, of course, there are carrier pigeons). Obviously if I didn't convey that properly it's a failing on my part, but it is legitimate to say that armies move far, far slower than a single man can.

I'll try to bear in mind the character names for the third book (still in early drafting days).