What did you blog about today?

Related to several of the other posts in this thread, I decided to ask an the ChatGPT AI what made the 1990s so special. Here is a screenshot of that conversation:

ai-90s-special.png

@Vince W. It is a beautifully written blog. You are a wonderful member of the Chrons forum. Your contributions always make me smile. I hope we can provide you with a little bit of comfort every now and then. Take care of yourself.

My condolences, Vince. Saddened about what you've been through, and are going through still.

An Ancient Solar System:
This week, in our weekly round up / link-storm / obsessive's scrapbook of news from off world: Seeding life with comets, modified gravity may be back in the running to explain dark matter, and loads more...

#space #industry #exploration

Really interesting. I agree that it's particularly glaring in authors who don't stray too far from a milieu or their established style. The trick us to break it up, take risks, change settings. But that, of course, is commercial suicide, and loses the author lots of fans. I know this from personal experience.

Really interesting. I agree that it's particularly glaring in authors who don't stray too far from a milieu or their established style. The trick us to break it up, take risks, change settings. But that, of course, is commercial suicide, and loses the author lots of fans. I know this from personal experience.

Yeah, there's not a lot of incentive to switch it up.

I'd also add that for a lot of writers, you've got to wonder whether they'd even be happy doing so. I mean, make a few extra people happy, or write exactly what you want? The latter should always be the winner unless there's a really big bag of money attached and even then it's dubious.

Part of me wonders if that's the real problem - authors getting to the stage where they can write exactly what they want without having to take that extra degree of internal effort and consideration - and everything else is symptoms.

I think there's a lot to be said for this. Robert Silverberg stands out as an example of an author who stopped trying once he got big fame. The crunch comes when an author says to themself, do I really want to lose all those fans? Then they feel scared. Then they stop trying. It's extremely difficult to dare.

I think there's a lot to be said for this. Robert Silverberg stands out as an example of an author who stopped trying once he got big fame. The crunch comes when an author says to themself, do I really want to lose all those fans? Then they feel scared. Then they stop trying. It's extremely difficult to dare.

Yup. And given Silverberg spent a period of his life writing erotica to pay the bills, it seems quite conceivable not losing his paying fans meant a hell of a lot for him.

And from the blog