Choosing a setting

TitaniumTi

I have struggled with the choice of location for my WIP, which has a small-town/ rural setting. Although I initially imagined a US location, I don't feel that I could write convincingly about small town US, so I chose to set it in Australia.

This will introduce some interesting political dynamics later in the story, but I worry that it will be distracting for the reader.

Given that rural Australia is not a traditional science fiction setting, do you think that there needs to be some aspect of the story that 'justifies' the setting (other than my convenience)?

It's not sci-fi but have you ever watched the Doctor Bradley Mysteries? (I honestly don't know if it was ever a book) It's set in a small town outside Brisbane and has been gripping. On the back of that alone I'd be interested in your story.

I don't think you need any justification -- it would be obvious to me that the Australian author chose the Australian setting because it's what he knows. And stories happen everywhere.

Thank you. That's reassuring.

I haven't seen Dr Blake Mysteries, but I see that there is a new series starting soon. I look forward to watching it.

I set a sci fi book in my native Belfast and had the same reservations, but it hasn't proved a barrier. People like reading about unusual places and, cos you know it well, you'll bring a richness to the story. Go for it!

As said above, you don't have to justify it. You live in Australia and you want an Australian setting. That's enough. And, as TDZ points out, stories happen everywhere.

Plus consider the enjoyment for me, the reader, of a setting I'm not that familiar with. I've read plenty of US settings, and British and other European ones. I'd like something slightly different, such as Australian or, for that matter, Indonesian, Nigerian, whatever. Variety is the spice of life. ;)

I'd agree with the consensus. No justification necessary, and the less common setting automatically offers some scope for things to be more interesting.

No, I think that's fine. Write what you can convincingly depict.

It's not a big thing, but it might be worth being aware of what the stereotype of Australian small-town life is like when writing about the reality of it. The details where the reality departs from the stereotype could be very interesting, and have the potential to surprise the reader. The non-British stereotype of life in Britain tends to concentrate on only a few places and aspects of the country, and I'm sure it's the same with Australia.

Another agreement with the others, here. An uncommon setting will get a few extra heads turning, so it's a good thing, if anything! Remember also that your setting doesn't strictly define your story -- that's what your plot is for. So unless the location you pick outright contradicts your story, it really shouldn't matter too much anyways. :)

There have been a number of SF short stories set down under, without even the justification of the author living there. One that immediately springs to mind is Arthur C. Clarke's 'What goes up' (from 'Tales from the White Hart', if my memory's still functioning. This could have been set anywhere reasonably underpopulated on the planet, of which there was a considerably larger supply fifty years back, when he wrote it. Australia was,back then remote enough to be almost considered as another planet, but actually the plot would have worked on Salisbury Plain.

Write what you know (all right, I never do, but do as I say etc.), and your solid background will help imbue your flightiest fantasies with a breath of solidity.

Clearly when I've read I've noticed that the Canadian authors write about Canada.
British about the UK.
And even the Australians write about Australia.

Its not like these things are localized to happening in one place despite what some people might think.

The more you know about the setting the better for you and the reader.

Hi,

I agree with the others. The only justification you need is that stories have to happen somewhere. So why not Australia. I'm a kiwi and have one book set in Wellington.

Cheers, Greg.

Can you write the story without specifying either Australia or America as the setting?

Hi,

Actually yes. One of the genres I read and watch is detective, esp British, and you can't imagine how disappointed I was to discover that none of these damned cutsy British villages actually exist. St Mary Mead (Miss Marple) - No such place. Midsomer as in the murders - no such places. Market Shipborough (Kingdom) - again missing in action.

I'm fast begining to suspect that Britain doesn't have such villages any more and it's all some sort of marketing ploy!

Cheers, Greg.