Pompeii (2014)

Watched it tonight - Hollywood by the numbers. Someone has a best friend who is black and dies, and the film reaches a climax as the hero and villain duel it out in single combat. Some elements of Roman socio-politics seemed either confused, else unclear.

However, it wasn't an entirely bad film - the visuals were decent, and the story wasn't too bad - probably because it was heavily derivative of Gladiator. The volcano was well done and blows its top half-way through the film, rather than in the last 10 minutes, providing a decent undercurrent of tension. We managed to sit through it all without heckling the TV too much.

Not a great film, but we've seen worse, and it was nice to get a little Ancient Rome on the screen again.

Spoiler alert!

Mt Vesuvius erupts. :)

Why didn't you put a spoiler around that ? Now you ruined the whole film to those of us who haven't seen it yet by giving awash the . :mad:There are those of us who had no idea there was volcano involved in the story and worse you gave away the name of the mountain in said eruption .:p

This the 4th adaptation of Edward Bulwer Lytton's novel. The last Days of Pompeii?

Hmm! Is anyone else going to wait for the second sequel POMPEIII? :D

Considering the ending , I think it would be very difficult to do a sequel. But then again, Hollywood does find a way to do the impossible .:D

Sorry, my two-year-old joke was obviously not clear enough. In any case, POMPE III would be the third in the series, not the second.

Sequel idea Pompeii II The Return of the Volcano.:whistle:

Errr - the 78 AD eruption was Pompeii II.

There was an even more catastrophic eruption in the Neolithic, but the site has never been excavated because Naples is on top of it.

Of course, to most Italians, Naples being wiped out would be no real hardship - an Italian friend once told me that they thought Jesus was a Neapolitan because, "He lived at home 'til he was 30, thought he was God, and believed his mother was a virgin.":eek: