BBC's Sherlock - Series 3 and Beyond

sherlock_special_clapperboard_cropped.jpg

If you've been paying attention to the Twitter account of Sherlock Special director Douglas Mackinnon, you'll have seen the following picture accompanied by the words, "the stars were shining coldly in a cloudless sky", a quote from - yes - the Sherlock Holmes Christmas story, The Adventure Of The Blue Carbuncle.

Mackinnon's Tweet was swiftly followed by one from Mark Gatiss, "it was a bitter night so we drew on our ulsters and wrapped cravats around our throats", another quote from The Blue Carbuncle.

Ever since the words Sherlock Christmas Special were announced, goose/jewel romp The Adventure Of The Blue Carbuncle has been a hot tip amongst fans. Are Mackinnon and Gatiss' hints to be trusted though, or are they simply toying with our expectations?
Read More: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/sherloc...-blackadders-darling-tim-mcinnerny-joins-cast

Got to admit, I hope there's more focus on the mysteries and deductions in the next series - I love the characters, but Series 3 focused so much on the interactions between them that the actual mystery element of the series was pushed into the background and suffered as a result. One of the main reasons I enjoy series such as Sherlock and Jonathan Creek (which, coincidentally, also suffered from the same issue in its latest run of episodes) is trying to figure out each mystery and pick up on the clues left in the narrative to piece it all together before all is revealed - although this element was still present in Series 3, it felt pushed further to the background than I'd have liked.

Indeed, that's an astute comparison.

Edited extra bit: now I come to think of it, there's another link. I think Alan Davies was dating the companion that followed Caroline Quentin, and Martin Freeman's seeing his on-screen wife.