BBC's Sherlock - Series 3 and Beyond

Watched it and enjoyed it very much. Okay plot may not be as satisfactory as previous episodes, but still it is cleverly written and superbly acted by all the actors especially Martin Freeman. I loved the scenes in the restaurant and on the train and the exchanges between Sherlock and John. There seems to be more character development in this episode. Just one curious question: is Sherlock actually capable of producing tears? ;)

I certainly couldn't remember all the details in books so I didn't realise there were so many references made until I read this - The Empty Hearse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't care how much you hate the changes they've made to this series, but to me Sherlock's back. The second episode was absolutely brilliant even if it had three (word)smith striking the notes. And most of all it was funny from the beginning. Not only that you got three cases in ninety minutes, and that's something. Truly something when you count in Watson's stag night, wedding preparations, the wedding itself and not talking about the longest best man speech ever. And then there's the bridge to the last episode of this season, The Last Vow, which makes me think Sherlock's going to disappear, or Watsons going to die.

Well done Moffat, Gatis, Stephen Thompson and BBC. Well done.

PS. I know people are saying there's things missing, but when you consider that they brought back Sherlock they'd to change it somehow. It just couldn't be about two blokes solving crimes in most extraordinary manner, and to be honest I had doubts before I pressed play but the way how to brought the whole episode in conclusion speaks volumes of how Sherlock is one of the best series BBC has ever produced. There's no doubts about that.

So say what you're going to say but I loved it.

One thing that I don't understand: how one can be stabbed through the belt and make it lethal?

Like others I also found the first episode a little dull and slow. Too many different scenarios playing on our theories when we just wanted to know the real way it was done and then get on with the next story.

However, if that put you off watching any more Sherlock, the second episode was much, much better.

Just watched the second episode last night and although it was funny I'm not happy. The whole thing seems to have descended into a sit com about Watson and his Sheldon-esque socially inept friend. The jokes are mainly about Sherlock's inability to understand other people's feelings, and where as once he was a masterfully clever now he's just a bit shouty and lost. I preferred it when the episode was 1 long detailed and compelling mystery not a hodge-podge of bad recycled big bang jokes and snippets of mysteries that at the end were practically slapping Sherlock in the face with the answer (admittedly I didn't know how the invisible blade was done, but who did it and to whom they were going to do it was more obvious in this episode than in any other IMHO)
I'll still watch next weeks, but I think Sherlock has got a bit carried away with itself, the success went to its head and now instead of being brilliant it is farcical.

SPOILER

As I understood it the blade was a long skewer type thing that went through the belt and into the body, but then was retracted with the belt when it was taken off and so opening the wound and letting the victim bleed out, not sure what internal organs might have been damaged by such a skewer but I'm not a Dr.

I quite enjoyed it. The mash of cases did remind me slightly of the third episode of the first series, and it could have easily felt as disjointed as last week's episode, but they managed to pull it off!

The amount of character development on show was impressive - not only the realisation at how much the character of Sherlock has changed since the very first episode (even though he is still very much the same; it was sad that, at the wedding, he played the same part as Mrs. Hudson's best friend), but also what was implied about his childhood. Sherlock has a head-Mycroft who pushes him when he gets stuck (and a head-Adler who distracts him!), who demands he think in a certain way... as if Mycroft has made the Great Detective Sherlock. There's no wonder Sherlock doesn't particularly get along with Mycroft.

I also liked the look at Mrs. Hudson's past. Who would have thunk it, eh?

I quite liked the first episode, but not the second. In a 3 episode 'series' having 2 largely devoted to characters without a focus on a criminal plot is just unbalanced.

I also rather dislike Watson's wife. Remembering the number that neither Watson (who was very close to the Major) or Sherlock (who remembers everything except when the script requires the flat character to have something to say) recalled was odd, and blatantly getting two men whose jobs are to notice everything to spend some time together without either noticing was just not credible.

However, the two leads remain very good indeed. I think Moonbat's right about the show getting carried away with itself.

For the first 15 minutes I enjoyed it, but the slapstick fish-out-water comedy went on far too long. I got bored. It really was like watching some wishy-washy family comedy.
Considering there's only one more episode in this series I thought this was a huge let down (unless by some miracle the third and final ep of the series turns everything we've seen so far on its head - I'm still hoping for this!).
I watch Sherlock for the shock and awe, the whodunnit and the clever plot twists, the surprises. Won't be buying this series on DVD ;)

For those of you worrying about this being the final series, here's some good news from the Radio Times:
Around 10pm on Sunday night, Sherlock fans may be feeling a combination of elated and melancholic. Elated because the concluding episode of series three is very, very good, melancholic because – just 11 days after it returned – it’s all over again.

So here’s some good news: Sherlock co-creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss have already plotted out two more series of the detective drama – and Moffat reckons it’s their best stuff yet.
This doesn't guarantee that the programme will be made, of course, but I can't really see the BBC cancelling it at the moment.

For those of you worrying about this being the final series, here's some good news from the Radio Times:
This doesn't guarantee that the programme will be made, of course, but I can't really see the BBC cancelling it at the moment.

Great news! Hope they will materialise them in the near future. For Moffat and Gatiss Sherlock is their dear baby and most successful worldwide. It'd be foolish to drop it after just three series. For the two leads, Hobbit movies obviously are huge projects for MF but after which? We still yet have to see BC's success as a leading role on big screen. So far we love him mostly for being Sherlock, don't we? :)

I felt the plot in episode two is still on the thin side. Funny as ever I was bit bored at their drinking binge which lasted too long. As for character development, did Sherlock look more human and sociable? Though he seemed to be trying hard to be, occasionally I felt it's almost like he was trying to be a sociopath. Anyways, looking forward to the next!

Did anyone pick up on the 'Liar' 'Liar' character traits when Sherlock first met Mary? What's that all about? :)

Did anyone pick up on the 'Liar' 'Liar' character traits when Sherlock first met Mary? What's that all about? :)

I had a big question mark about that too, it's like: ah-oh.

Thanks for the link, very interesting speculations. Well, there are definitely - Something About Mary. Can't wait! :)

Just watched the second episode last night and although it was funny I'm not happy. The whole thing seems to have descended into a sit com about Watson and his Sheldon-esque socially inept friend. The jokes are mainly about Sherlock's inability to understand other people's feelings, and where as once he was a masterfully clever now he's just a bit shouty and lost. I preferred it when the episode was 1 long detailed and compelling mystery not a hodge-podge of bad recycled big bang jokes and snippets of mysteries that at the end were practically slapping Sherlock in the face with the answer (admittedly I didn't know how the invisible blade was done, but who did it and to whom they were going to do it was more obvious in this episode than in any other IMHO)
I'll still watch next weeks, but I think Sherlock has got a bit carried away with itself, the success went to its head and now instead of being brilliant it is farcical.

Well put. I only watched it this evening and actually got bored during the drinking spree. If its primary purpose is to be a comedy, fair enough, but that's a different Sherlock (programme, not character) from the first two series.

The murder method didn't make much sense to me either.

*S3E03 Spoilers. Be warned*

Very much enjoyed the first half! It was fun to see more of Sherlock's head cast, and interesting that each of them, like Mycroft, did the jobs we know them for in the real world. Rather than having an inner voice that is himself, Sherlock uses people he knows to tell him what to do. I wonder why that is?

The second half, after the big reveal to John, was... it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't awesome. It was more like Sherlock of old, but not quite the same.

Kind of disappointed that Mary's past appears to have been put to one side, and I was very disappointed that we're not going to see any more of Magnusson (there wasn't even a tiny reference to his letter from last week!).

As for Moriarty, I refuse to be drawn into the: "but how did he survive?!" debate. In true Sherlock fashion, the answer is never going to be revealed, but even so I'm going to split my money across Sherlock not having entirely dismantled Moriarty's empire, leaving some fragments who want to carry on with a digital Moriarty as a scare device, or that some other organisation, or someone Sherlock has royally annoyed, using a digital Moriarty in the knowledge that it will draw Sherlock into their nefarious scheme so they can do away with him.

Lenny, I largely agree. Magnusson was too good (overblown, but very well-acted) to be discarded so simply, and I've never liked the Moriarty of this series.

For me this was the best episode of this season. I enjoyed it all the way up to the end.

Big time spoiler alert!!!!!

I don't like that Sherlock just shot him, he is supposed to be such a brilliant man, but here he was outwitted and beaten by Magnusson so he shoots him in the head, how strange and silly.
Also how come Magnusson 'reads' things in his eye line if they are from the files in his mind palace, how come he doesn't have to go down into the mind palace to retrieve the info, instead it flashes into his vision terminator style - which he then has to read!!

apart from that I really enjoyed it, Mary's reveal was quite a shock and then what she did, it did all get brushed over quite quickly, but that's the case with Sherlock, sort of a 'don't examine things too closely or it will all fall apart' kind of show.

Oh well, just another year long(er) wait for another three episodes

Just two things very quickly as lunch hour is over! Mary: maybe her past isn't going to be forgotten; it could easily come up in another series and have devastating consequences. Moriarty: was this just a device used by Sherlock to save himself?

Just two things very quickly as lunch hour is over! Mary: maybe her past isn't going to be forgotten; it could easily come up in another series and have devastating consequences. Moriarty: was this just a device used by Sherlock to save himself?

I enjoyed the series... Aside from the two loose ends you mention above, has anyone but me worked out that there are quite other few loose ends? ;)