BBC's Sherlock - Series 3 and Beyond

Lenny

Press "X" to admire hat
Due to the ending of the second series, and the inevitable discussion to come, I thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread for series three, and beyond, of BBC's Sherlock, leaving the original thread as spoiler-free as possible for viewers new to the programme.

So, if you're here because you've just started Sherlock, and want to discuss the fantastic first or second series, you'll be better off in the original thread: http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/528285-sherlock-steven-moffat-bbc-series.html

Seriously, new viewer, do not go any further! Thar be spoilers in these here waters.

---

For everyone else, let's start with a mini-episode that leads into series three (found by Allegra and posted in the original thread):

---

I hope everyone has their bingo cards ready, for tonight in the UK (and on 19th January 2014 in the US, on PBS), Sherlock returns from the dead. The question we are all asking: how did he survive?

There are plenty of theories, including the use of mattresses, stunt wires, body-doubles, the homeless network, Adler's paralysing drug, the Baskerville fear agent, and the suspiciously departing rubbish truck, but who, if any of us, got even just a little bit close to the real trick?

But why now? Why to switch when we know there's not going to be another Sherlock series after this.

Why, when I want to just write about, you do this? This is driving me insane.

Nothing has been confirmed regarding future series. Whilst we cannot yet look forward to a fourth series, nor can we mourn Sherlock's passing just yet.

I've made the new thread because I can't think of anything that would piss me off more than to come late to a series like Sherlock, go the end of a thread (which is nearing 250 replies anyway - which is a good enough reason in itself to start splitting into threads for different series) to give my opinions, and see the posts above me marvelling at how Sherlock cheated death.

Forgive me, but I find it difficult to understand why, or how, a new thread is going to cause so much pain and suffering. We do it all the time for shows where we have individual threads for each episode, after all.

---

My thoughts: the case was a bit naff, and things felt a bit disjointed, but I enjoyed it. I particularly liked Moffat's nods to different fan theories, and their subsequent tearing apart. I wonder when, if ever, we'll be told what actually happened that day.

For the first 45 minutes, I just wanted them to get on with it and eventually they did. I don't know if we want to chat specifics yet, but a couple of things didn't make sense. Maybe the next episode will be better, without having to deal with the baggage of last series.

I got thoroughly peed off with it's hiding and ducking and diving. But I got so annoyed at the stupid fake suicide anyway I probably wasn't bought into the magic of it...

hhhrrrmmm ... okay.

It's just there was nothing wrong with the original thread, and I believe people were right on the page with our posts.

The episode was very cleverly done and it was easy for me to follow all three story threads that was going through it. In a way I even felt that this was the beginning to far longer series of episodes that the watchers can consume in one sitting. And then move onto next one.

And the final one.

But knowing that the series is heading towards an episode called The Last Vow, I cannot but think it's going to be a permanent ending to this series as both Cumberbatch and Freeman are extraordinarily busy.

Maybe in the perfect world they could end up doing another series, but I seriously doubt that the BBC has enough of money to hire these stars. And if the series ends up as a trilogy it's a perfect size for the people to buy as a box set.

But that's enough of speculation of that one. And I have to admit that I felt a bit bored to drop in the dream sequence, but seriously relieved when it ended and the real Sherlock walked in. From there on in the episode just build upon itself even if the
case in hand was shorter than the previous one.

Still you cannot wonder who the geezer at the end was. Does anyone have an idea?

They are doing another series. I think I read it in an interview in the Radio Times. I'll search for a link to confirm it but I'm pretty sure.

I'm afraid I found this episode to be a bit boring and naff. I loved the first two series of Sherlock, but this one hasn't started well. It just seemed a bit samey samey, I wasn't at all impressed. I did like the Darren Brown inclusion but more as a comedy effect, and Sherlock has become less amazing, more socially inept and the whole off switch thing was a bit Deus Ex machine for my liking. Basically a crap episode that has seriously reduced the overall brilliance of the show.

I'm afraid I found this episode to be a bit boring and naff. I loved the first two series of Sherlock, but this one hasn't started well. It just seemed a bit samey samey, I wasn't at all impressed. I did like the Darren Brown inclusion but more as a comedy effect, and Sherlock has become less amazing, more socially inept and the whole off switch thing was a bit Deus Ex machine for my liking. Basically a crap episode that has seriously reduced the overall brilliance of the show.

Me too, disappointing

Cumberbatch and Freeman on The Empty Hearse

CM: I believe the only complaint that’s ever made about Sherlock is that there isn’t enough?

MG: I believe the whole of China just said that, to the Prime Minister! I was very tempted to Tweet, as Mycroft, “I am afraid Mr Cameron does not speak for her majesty” [laughter].

BC: Oh, one can but dream.

[Five giggly minutes or so of online fan-fiction being read out and discussed here, before the questions were opened up to the audience].

Audience member 1: What was it like returning to the characters after two years away?

MF: For me, it’s a little bit like slipping into an old coat and feeling very familiar with it. I love the familiarity of the world and the writing and working with Ben and the newcomers on set. It just feels like something that we really enjoy, and saving our own presence, we’re quite good at it now. We love giving it to you [laughter].

BC: It was a lot of fun to do, bike rides and bungee jumps and bonfires and

Sherlock: The Empty Hearse Q&A with Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman & more... | Den of Geek

Here it is ... just at the bottom bit.

Sherlock is set to come face to face with a new arch nemesis in the forthcoming third series of the show.

The character, who has been named as Charles Augustus Magnusson, will be played by Danish actor Lars Mikkelsen – although details of his exact role or which episodes he will appear in have not been confirmed.

Mikkelsen, who previously starred in Scandi-thrillers The Killing and Borgen, is the brother of Mads Mikkelsen – currently scaring up a storm on the small screen in Hannibal.

News of the actor’s casting was revealed on Twitter by the show’s executive producer Sue Vertue – who teased fans by telling them: ‘Warning!! Sherlock’s new adversary will be unveiled in a few hours,’ before making the big announcement.
elib_5297442-e1357598568873.jpg

Details of the next series of Sherlock have been kept a closely guarded secret (Picture: BBC) And the news was welcomed warmly by fans, with one saying: ‘Mikkelsens make the best villains!’ and another praising the ‘amazing casting’.

Magnusson is thought to be based on Charles Augustus Milverton, who appeared in a 1904 short story published in The Return Of Sherlock Holmes.

He is described as ‘the king of blackmailers’ in the story, which sees Holmes investigating his attempts to discredit a society lady.

The new series of Sherlock is currently filming and is expected to be screened on BBC One later this year.
Sherlock's newest adversary Charles Augustus Magnusson is revealed | Metro News

The acting was fantastic and was the only reason I kept watching to the end. Stephen Moffat is great at creating concepts and characters but I really think he should leave the storytelling to other people.

The plot was surprisingly dull for Sherlock but Freeman/Watson was stupendous.

Also - Am I the only one that wondered why on earth we had that random 'let's explain how Sherlock did it' moment/flashback on the train? Eh? Did I blink and miss something?

No you didn't, because acting and going through a dialogue in that would had taken longer for them than doing a flashback. That was my understanding about the episode, and they didn't wanted to bring Sherlock back without deepening the character considerably, as they move on with the story.

The acting was fantastic and was the only reason I kept watching to the end. Stephen Moffat is great at creating concepts and characters but I really think he should leave the storytelling to other people.

I think it was Mark Gatiss that wrote this episode, not Moffat.

Also - Am I the only one that wondered why on earth we had that random 'let's explain how Sherlock did it' moment/flashback on the train? Eh? Did I blink and miss something?

I was confused about why that was there as well, it did seem out of place in the episode.

It's not easy being Sherlock. More precisely, it's not easy being the men behind the BBC1 show, Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, after fans took issue with some "elementary errors" in its eagerly awaited new episode on Wednesday night, reports the Daily Mail. With much of the action set on the London Underground, viewers took to Twitter to point out that various train journeys and station settings did not match the reality of the tube network. "As the pair enter Westminster station, which is served by the District, Circle and Jubilee lines, they are inexplicably show walking past a sign for the Northern line," reports the paper. Whatever next? That the whole thing is in fact, like, make believe and not only is Benedict Cumberbatch not actually Sherlock Holmes, but Sherlock Holmes didn't actually exist? What? And if Una Stubbs is their landlady, why doesn't she ever reminisce about the days she spent with Worzel Gummidge? Plus, I thought Tim from the Office got it together with Jasper Carrot's daughter? So who's that other love interest then? What happened to Dawn the receptionist? If I ever find out they don't actually film it in real time, in a single 90-minute take, I am never going to watch again. (Real fact fans – the tube train they end up in wasn't a real tube train at all, but built entirely from scratch.)
Sherlock fans go off the rails on Twitter over 'elementary errors' | Media Monkey | Media | theguardian.com

It was Mister Gatiss and not Moffat, but we can still blame Moffat if you'd like.

I've had a similar opinion of Mark Gatiss but apologise for besmirching Moffat on this occasion - why given the profile of the show don't they use some good storytellers ?

Last series I felt a lot of opportunities were missed. It seems to be escalating.

Nothing has been confirmed regarding future series. Whilst we cannot yet look forward to a fourth series, nor can we mourn Sherlock's passing just yet.

I've made the new thread because I can't think of anything that would piss me off more than to come late to a series like Sherlock, go the end of a thread (which is nearing 250 replies anyway - which is a good enough reason in itself to start splitting into threads for different series) to give my opinions, and see the posts above me marvelling at how Sherlock cheated death.

Most considerate of you, sir. I think would've eaten my face. I had Lost nearly spoiled for me in a similar manner and feared I would never recover.

On the episode though, I liked it, but like everyone else was a tad bit disappointed. It felt like somethign was missing. Maybe because it was so eagerly anticipated? There were such stupendously high expectations? I expected the fake suicide to be this amazingly intricate complex scheme...but it was never really explained. Just a bag of theories for us to parse through.