January 2014 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- VICTORY TO HEX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: January 2014 -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE -- READ FIRST POST

Demon-'flu

Captain Fantastic led the princess in a headlong flight before the undead demon troll hordes. The rescue from Hell itself had shaken him to his soul with an unfamiliar, unmanning dread, and left him feeling spiritually bereft and physically broken. As they ran he shivered, despite the flames of the damned.

‘You took your time,’ she remarked.

‘A Dark Arts defense. Headache, can’t breath. It feels like the...’

‘Oh it’s just a cold!’

Come See the North Wind's Masonry

From the biplane Doctor Garcia smiled at the magnificent snow covered vista. His new research lab!

His Siberian guide said, "The legendary Field of Monsters, where creatures of Ancient Earth lie sleeping."

"The snow is not as deep."

"But still dangerous."

"I know. You remind me constantly."

A plume of snow rose like a serpent into their flight path. Instantly, the plane was swallowed up. The snow fell gently back into place. The wind moaned.

Whatever it Takes

Godfried's army charged towards Tyral's stronghold, ready to vanquish the demons once and for all. Within, the last of the Unseelies, having nowhere to run, stood their ground.

Some distance away, Wilbur's group looked on.

"Merl, you're a Mage, do magic. Whatever it takes, just stop them."

"Bab ibea," Merl sniffled.

"Do it."

His magic infused sneeze brought down the fortress just as Godfried's men breached its walls, neutralising both sides.

Wilbur blinked. "That works."

Eastern campain​

We cannot fail. Reich mages channeled blood power of a million sacrificed undesirables, our disciplined soldiers march or ride into the Shadowlands, outnumbering enemy rabble.

But steel panzer tracks crystallise, shatter, boots and rubber tyres follow. True contact with your weapon leaves skin burnt on, but no blood flows; only our dying releases power, and that to the enemy.

No despair; we offer our lives to win the victory the future will remember:

Stalingrad

Cold Elves

In his dark, icy cave, my body is sluggish and frozen. Dull, aching pain from my wounds. Phantom pains from his harvest.

They warned about the Elves of Sirsk Tundra. I didn’t listen.

Footsteps echo. I shift my lopsided body over the knife. It’s sharp enough. I know that. Metallic breath caresses. I lurch and thrust the blade blindly into the dark. He falls.

I close my eyes and give in to the peaceful chill.

[FONT=&quot]The Price of Spring[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
All too soon they came.

Alone amidst frost burst trees, showers of ice drifting from the sky, the ice wraiths encircled her.
Their cold sank through her bones until her flesh stiffened.

With her last breath she recited the incantation, and white hot fire fettered them.
But too late for her.

Her tears stiffened into ice enshrouding her.

Winter now trapped within her frozen tomb, she unleashed verdant growth. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Victory.

She icily watched earth renew.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Fatal Attraction

He was cold,
I full of dread.
It was foretold,

I was so old.
He was so dead;
He was cold.

Over I rolled,
I lost a head –
It was foretold.

Death did unfold,
No tears I shed.
He was cold.

I was made bold,
Slipped ‘to his bed.
It was foretold.

All did behold
My love misled –
He was cold.
It was foretold.

That Most Devouring Desire

The world is sparkling snow, the heavens black velvet. I stand atop the ridge, a monster looking down upon the castle I once called home. Figures move across the walls, swarming the tower; meaning to kill me whilst I sleep. They made me what I am but I am beyond what they required. Now they mean to destroy me. Revenge is a cold mistress with a high price but I will pay it without pause.

A Fearful Delivery

Midnight ran icy fingers of dread through the merchant’s mind and down his spine. Worry poured cold directly into his soul. Love demanded that the box be delivered tonight. The Shadow Mage had declared that making this delivery would free his wife. Fearfully, he approached the door and lifted the knocker. The door opened before it dropped. A butler took, then opened the box. His heart stopped as his wife’s head slowly smiled at him.

The Snow Dragon’s Mother

Abdomen swelling, it moves inside me, growing colder each day. I am blessed. Please, sweet Goddess, watch over me.

Each turn, each reptilian slither burns me with bone torturing icy fire, such indescribable, inescapable coldness.

Nothing warms me; my skin mottled blue, frost enrobes my grotesquely distended belly and tears freeze upon my cheeks.

Kind, friendly, welcome numbness seeps into me. Please, blessed Goddess, let the numbness take me before the Snow Dragon hatches.

The Penny Drops

Penny, the newest poltergeist from Hire-A-Geist sat on a box in a pitch dark room. She blew into her hands, forgetting she had no breath to warm them. I’m too frozen to work.

“Honey, it’s only a fuse,” the adulterer shouted from the cellar. The woman scorned smiled at Penny and left the house.

Clock struck midnight. Penny picked up the iron and dropped it on Adulterer’s head.

Last edited:

Cold is my friend

Her chest shudders, her breathing shallow now, in our own private hell.

Not again ...

I caress her perfect face, her porcelain skin, and let my warmth seep out. My hands numb, then the pain ... a thousand needles ... I bury my blackened fingers underneath my arms, as if it will help this time.

But her breaths deepen as her cheeks turn rosy pink. Another day of life, in a way.

Cold hurts. Cold is my friend.

FADING

Breath frozen inside, in time. Cold beats forcing my heart to squeeze against the emptiness,
Before all that's left is grey, unfeeling reality.

Brought to nothingness. All in circles.

Stalled, numb, waiting.

Eyes closed. Dreams open.

Red to blue to black; withdrawing, causing pain.

One thousand eyes, all unseeing as a shadow falls through the bleakness and bleeds its soul.

In shades of ice the fates whisper through an echo,
Quietus from perfection.

Last edited:

THE CORRECTIONS

“There is no greater wilderness than that of the human mouth,” Dr. Hohlraum said.

A wooly patient lay against the gurney with his canines exposed.

“A veritable ecosystem dancing with its own flora and fauna—a bacterial Amazon—which feeds off of the filth we chew and drink. “

“These people suffer from a congenital deformity leaving them cold mostly expressionless—unable to grin or pucker—a unique palate. You three, will correct this,” he said.

Exchange

Mikey shivered. He was freezing, held tight by the crystals growing around him. He wished he'd never entered Trow Cave, never touched the Seal Stone. James had said it was cursed, but he'd scoffed.

"Hold on, we're coming." James had gone for his dad! Tears rolled down Mikey's face. He'd been so scared. Up to his chin now.

Ice closed over his eyes as his dad picked up the changeling. The Troll King was free.

Some LIKE It Cold

After locking the shop-lifter in the walk-in cooler, Delbert called the Sheriff.
"Keep him on ice," the Sheriff said, "I've got a mess at the truck-stop, five dead and something was eating the bodies."
The shop-lifter was ancient, Delbert hoped he'd be ok. He opened the cooler to check, a lean young man leapt out. "Thanks kid you're a life-saver."
After gnawing off Delbert's arm, he fled on all fours.

Fire And Ice.​

‘Our science progresses, while Ice Elves never learn,’ sneered the Flame King. ‘Teach them. With iron bullets!’

And they learned iron killed elves, but they already knew that.

‘Our magic is eternal, while Fire Elves never learn,’ said the Ice Queen. ‘Teach them. Free the ice dragons!’

‘Is that wise, Majesty?’

After freezing her unwise advisor to death, the Ice Queen learned why the ice dragons were imprisoned in the Polar Vortex -- to prevent Fimbulwinter.

The White Queen

For centuries, she inspired love, but a night in her bed was, tragically, fatal.

Now, feeling old and weary, she gazed at the diamond heart pulsing in her hand. Long ago, she had traded her warm red living heart for this chilly immortality.

Inside her chest, something cracked.

Hearing screams, servants ran into her room. On the bed lay the body of her new young husband ... on the floor shards of ice, beginning to melt.

Rebearth

The egg takes up my whole freezer.

It's all over the news -- let the eggs be.

Some people destroyed them, and their houses are encased in ice now,
with eggs visible through every window.

The prophecy is unearthed:

.....When climate change is in perfect balance,
.....the Ice Dragons will come, to save the planet.

I look at my egg, my neighbor's house of ice, the news from around the world, and I wonder:

For whom?

Cold Hearted

The Ice Queen threw back her silver mane in a snowflake shower, arctic beauty transcended by the stare from her ice blue eyes.

"It was only a fling," her voice chimed like breaking icicles, "You are unattractive, stink, too small and are pathetic in bed."

Without another word she turned on her heel. Her undead Dark Evil Overlord followed, "Pyanthu!" he hissed, "You dumped him in front of the horde? Now, that was cold."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back