"Straken" - a new novel out today!

Toby Frost

Supporter
So, whilst not writing more Space Captain Smith or the great unpublished fantasy novel, I wrote a book for Black Library set in the Warhammer 40,000 world. It's out today in ebook format, and will follow in hard copy. There aren't any jokes, but vast amounts of alien monsters, hard-bitten space soldiers, internal politics and, of course, explosions. Can't say fairer than that, can you?

"Plucked from a catastrophic war against the monstrous tyranids, Colonel ‘Iron Hand’ Straken and his Catachan Jungle Fighters are sent to the cavern world of Dulma’lin to clear it of an ork infestation. Ranged against an overwhelming force of greenskins, and with the hostile attentions of Commissar Morrell upon them, the Catachans must overcome internal divisions and hold the line against the alien menace."

The Black Library - Straken ePremiere (eBook)

I'll check it out Toby. I'm quite partial to a little Warhammer 40K

This looks interesting and having read and enjoyed your submission for Malevolence, Toby. I think I will get this.

What is Warhammer?

Forgive my ignorance:)

Deep breath: very briefly, Warhammer 40,000 is a wargame played with models on a tabletop. It is set in its own world, which includes influences from Dune and Tolkien. (It's also the place from which the joke term "grimdark" originated, to describe its relentlessly bleak outlook). The novel focusses on one regiment of Earth's Imperial Guard, the enormous conscript army of mankind, who originate from a hostile jungle planet and hence are noted for their toughness and self-reliance.

It's much more of a rollicking adventure than the submission for Malevolence, which is probably darker. Straken was great fun to write, although it's surprising how difficult it is to write about space adventure without putting in a load of jokes.

Oh come on Toby, there has to be at least one in-joke in it somewhere...?

Sounds like a #SFFChrons sort of topic. Congrats, hope it sells well.