Discussion about "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"

MacGyver16502

I wanted to start a topic/discussion/debate/argument...

After rereading "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" for the umpteenth time, I found myself wondering "Who did order the Yellow Jacket raid on Stilyagi hall?" in the beginning of the book.

I have formed my own opinion, but would like to see if anyone has a good alternative before I give my thoughts.

I confess I do not ever recall wondering about it. It has been a while since I read the book and could not have told you that name of the hall if my life depended on it but I presume it was the warden.

psik

Since I don't think we are getting any other conversation...
The thought I had on the subject was the raid may have been ordered by Mike.

Just the kind of accidentally lethal joke that Manuel worried about throughout the novel.

I'd disagree. At that point he didn't have the finesse in dealing with people. he could play computer related pranks, printer stutter kind of thing. but not personally ordering out troops to invade.

Just finished reading this, loved it but am left wondering what happened to Mike? I've read around the web and the three schools of thought seem to be that he was 'killed' during the attack, that he was in grieving (over the loss of the prof?) or that he committed suicide because he realised he would be worse than any warden (the orgasm bit). Also understand that there is another book (The Cat Who Walks through Walls) by Heinlein which revisits Mike, is this actually the case and is it worth reading? I couldn't help thinking that the loss of Mike was somehow related to the loss of the prof, did anyone else think this? Or think that the prof killed Mike or persuaded him to stop?

I thought the book was clear that he'd dropped below the level of complexity that meant that he could function as an artificial intelligence. Manny thinks he's still in there, somewhere, but there's no evidence for that.

The Cat Who Walks Through Walls is slightly superior late-Heinlein. Mostly, it's got a decent enough plot, and the political pontificating is only marginally intrusive. It doesn't have Mike as a character, though he is kind of involved.

It only suggests that as one possible cause but then goes on to say that he has subsequently been repaired but isn't suddenly 'back'. Manny thinks it's because of grief but it's only ever suggested. May give 'The Cat' a go once I've got through my Christmas books :)

"Cat" is a good book, and a different style from "Moon". You will get a little more insight into the Mike thing from it. "Moon" will always be one of my favorite books, but it's not quite like any other Heinlein.

In 'The Cat Who Walks Through Walls' there is an organisation called Ouroboros or something like that (long time since I read them, too) that is concerned with time-travel. I'm not certain, but I think Heinlein tried to make it appear that Lazarus Long had used the technology of Ouroboros to go back and remove Mike's 'consciousness' just before the attack that supposedly killed him. It is noted in TMIAHM that no-one had had contact with Mike for a good while before Manny tried and got no reply. Mike had already been spirited away to the future.

I think Heinlein felt bad about offing him and decided to rewrite 'Future History' to assuage his guilt.

I'm just beginning the book, for the first time. I'll let you know my thoughts...

Hoverdasher