Book about a Martial Artist, a reporter, and space travel

I have been trying to find this book for years now. It's centered around an underground martial arts ring that spans planets. There is a female reporter doing a story on it and she ends up doing it on our protagonist. During the course of the book, he ends up developing a martial art of his own. There's something to do with "steps". He thinks about countering/dodging one move, then about the position that counter/dodge will place him in and then how to mitigate those vulnerabilities as he moves to attack or block. This pattern goes on and on or something. He builds this one day and she's there. However, he doesn't let her record it or share it because he plans to use it in fights.

Any help would be great.

I've not read any of these books (actually, I've never heard of the author) but Google kept coming back with the Matador series by Steve Perry.

I've seen the series in my search. However, I don't think that this is it. I plan to read it, though. There doesn't seem to be any mention of an underground fighting ring or a reporter. It's an interesting Sci-Fi martial arts-based story in its own right, though.

That...is exactly it. I can't believe how quickly this community works...I...I'm honestly flabbergasted. Thank you very much. Steve Perry has definitely put in some work!

Thank you both for finding this for me. This has been bothering me for YEARS!!