"Shannara" series coming to MTV

TBH I'm really enjoying this - yes it's lightweight and fluff (and this is coming from someone who really likes Flash and LoT) but it is fun/entertaining so a thumbs up thus far.

To reiterate what was mentioned earlier - had I known it was an MTV series I'd have likely given it a swerve, luckily I didn't realise until I started watching because it seems to be well shot with some stunning visuals and scenery

Since we got Netflix in our country I am not sure if our paid-for-broadcaster will show this since, Orange is the New Black and House of Cards was removed because Netflix owns the rights.

Yeah it was a strange choice to reveal that the Four Lands is actually a future Earth following The Great War. Also they revealed that Trolls and Gnomes are descendants of Baseline Humans.

I would have liked this to form part of a "revelation" not for the characters (as they would never know) but for the viewers. Sort of like the Planet of the Apes reveal with the Statue of Liberty.

Cathbad what bothers you so much about this? Just interested.

Yeah it was a strange choice to reveal that the Four Lands is actually a future Earth following The Great War. Also they revealed that Trolls and Gnomes are descendants of Baseline Humans.

I would have liked this to form part of a "revelation" not for the characters (as they would never know) but for the viewers. Sort of like the Planet of the Apes reveal with the Statue of Liberty.

ok - I'm lost now. I haven't read any Shannara novels in the last 15 years (at least!) so my knowledge of the mythos is (to all intents and purposes) a big fat '0' - however I got it right from the credits on E1 that it was a post apocalyptic Earth (or am I now being a little confused?)

ok - I'm lost now. I haven't read any Shannara novels in the last 15 years (at least!) so my knowledge of the mythos is (to all intents and purposes) a big fat '0' - however I got it right from the credits on E1 that it was a post apocalyptic Earth (or am I now being a little confused?)

Ok I'll spoiler tag it so I don't ruin it for anyone else:

The world of Shannara is our world in the future. Following The Great War (which was basically a war between Demons and Men - covered in the Word and Void Trilogy) a small amount of humans were led to survival in a refuge protected from the Nuclear Fallout - in the location roughly where Shannara takes place. The humans stayed sealed away and those humans trapped outside gradually changed due to Nuclear fallout and radical mutations. Resulting in the Trolls (extremely tough humans with immunity to radiation) and Gnomes and Dwarves (tougher small humans adapted to eking a life in the dark places).

The Elves however were a part of the very old Faerie magic (being originally Fae creatures themselves) and sealed themselves away before the supremacy of Men and before the destruction of The Great War, when they emerged however they were much more like Man and much less like Faerie than they were in the time of Faerie.

The Word and Void Trilogy linked the ancient magic's to our world and showed a considerable part of the Great War via flash forward dream sequences. The Forbidding (the demon realm where the Ellcrys imprisons the demons) was due to actions taken in the Faerie time when the Faerie warred with Demons for supremacy of the World.

If you want to know anything else just ask - I'm a bit of a Worldbuilding/Mythos geek and I have a really good memory (excepting my own childrens birthdays lol)

Anyway the lore is really cool and one of the best things about Shannara overall.

Two things: They've reveled things far too quickly... and, um... well, I've never liked my Fantasy mixed with Sci-Fi, even modern dy science, :/

Huh. Well that's past my bedtime as I work at stupid o'clock in the morning on week days - does anyone know if 5* content is put on demand?

Should be - I'm sure I've got a 5 catch-up app on the PS3, so it must be available on other platforms.

However, if it is, watch out for how long any episodes are available - Agents of Shield on Channel 4 is only available for 1 week after broadcast, which contrasts to the 30 days availability from the BBC.

does anyone know if 5* content is put on demand?
Some programmes don't appear on some platforms: for instance I couldn't catch up on Gotham** on my Samsung*** TV, but could with my laptop.

** - I didn't notice when season two started.

*** - Channel Five claimed that there was some sort of issue with the terms of their contract with the content provider, although my the contract would mention Samsung or Sony (another affected TV maker) is beyond me.

On thread topic, I have only watched ep 1 of Shannara. Aimed predominantly at a younger audience as opposed to GOT, but, it has some lovely sfx, good actors and is easy n the eye and if I ignore my third eye vision of the book, I feel this will be a great addition to ''fantasy'' television.