1. A new and diverse epic fantasy series for fans of Brandon Sanderson, Robert Jordan, and George R R Martin:

Gathering (Chronicles of Empire 1) by Brian G Turner

"fantastic" "brilliant" "exciting and intriguing"

Only 99p/99c for a limited time only

Available on Amazon:

> Click here for more Amazon stores

Dismiss Notice

"Shannara" series coming to MTV

Discussion in 'Terry Brooks' started by RoninJedi84, Dec 8, 2013.

spartan54

spartan54 New Member

The Elfstones of Shannara is an exceptional book. The beginning is intriguing and introduces a world of concepts and ideas that enthrall and excites, paving the way to high adventure for the lead characters. The battles are plentiful and terrifically well narrated. A great book that would make great TV. If you liked Elfstones of Shannara I found Alan Dean Foster's 'A call To Arms' the modern day high adventure equivalent set among the stars. This too had great concepts and ideas.

Gonk the Insane

Gonk the Insane Gone Rogue

I've seen the first two episodes and I'm enjoying it so far. I think I read somewhere here that the series is starting on the second book (Elfstones of Shannara) in the original (in terms of publication) series, and not Sword of Shannara. I'm not sure I got as far as Elfstones though I remember reading Sword of Shannara a long time ago. How true to the novel does the series seem so far?

Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner Writing and reading Staff Member

Just a quick question - is this suitable for older children? Just wondering whether it's 12 rating or lower, or 15+.

Juliana

Juliana will write for cups of tea

Brian, I can't remember rating but it does have a few (3?) sex scenes, besides so many gratuitous bare-chested Wil shots that I wondered if it was written in his contract. :D

Besides those, rest is pretty tame re violence and swearing.

Brian G Turner likes this.
    Grimward

Grimward Where matter vanishes...

Under 12 might be pushing it a bit, but easily safe for 13+ (at least what I've seen of it).

SilentRoamer

SilentRoamer Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about 13+ Some of the violent scenes are fairly bloody. Maybe 15+ ?

Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner Writing and reading Staff Member

Watched the first episode - a little underwhelmed, but the two younger kids seemed to enjoy it. The eldest found it a bit predictable. However, the second episode on catch up has an 18+ warning for violence, blood, and gore. So now I'm not sure if I want to continue with this - a YA fantasy would be nice for the kids to watch, but if this series is aiming to do a Game of Thrones and focus on blood and sex then I think we'll have to drop out.

Juliana

Juliana will write for cups of tea

Brian, it's really not too bloody/ GoT at all. I think the warning is mostly because of the sex scenes I mentioned.

SilentRoamer

SilentRoamer Well-Known Member

There are some fairly gory scenes as the series progresses but it is mainly fantasy violence - the sex scenes are all PG-13 and nothing too steamy. It never approaches the sort of violence in GoT and the violence/gore that is present is not done in a dark way.

As seems to be the trend nowadays you can show monsters getting their heads lopped off but skin is a big no-no!