"Shannara" series coming to MTV

Dear Readers,

Quite a day today, Tuesday. Headed out for the base camp around 10 am where I was to meet with an MTV stringer crew to film an interview for the networks publicity purposes about my involvement with the TV show. Went up country, into the hills, where it proceeded to pour down buckets. Waited it out, and then I did my hour long Q & A about the show. Had to go to make-up first, of course. Not quite beautiful enough otherwise. But it all went well, and I had lots of good things to say about how I got to this place and how excited I was about the show (I am, of course) and how I have such high hopes for Season One and after.

Returned in time to have lunch and then have Elf Ears slapped on me by make-up so that I could have pictures taken of me looking like a wise old Elf. Okay, an old Elf, anyway. Everyone is going to do this, I believe, for another promotion. I looked stupid, I imagine, but Judine kissed me so that was encouraging.

Trienko (Artaq)

Terry & Poppy Drayton (Amberle)

Make-up trailer.

Terry watching.

Turkeys

Terry and director Jonathan Liebesman
After that, we went down to the shooting site, this time on a beach, and sat with Poppy and Austin and their stunt doubles for a time talking about what they were about to do. Their physical fitness trainer was there, too, and others crowded around to hear what was being said and to take pictures. Afterwards, we moved over to the shooting site and watched a number of shots involving violence and a very cool drone camera. The day was sunny and beautiful, and I keep meeting new crew members and finding out what everyone does. Talked a few minutes with Director Jonathan Liebsman, and stayed until it was nearing 6 and we had to get back.

Still amazed at the scope of this effort and the size of the cast and crew. Whatever I was thinking, it was never this grand. Saw some more clips from the filming, and I do think this is going to be pretty special. Of course, I am severely prejudiced.

Last day tomorrow. Should end things on a high note.

Best to all, Terry

Terry and director Jonathan Liebesman

I have never heard of this until I saw this post but just based on Terry's warmness I might give it a go. It looks like Terry is genuinely happy with the direction the books are shaping up. He seems to be thrilled, working on the set and casting the actors. Which makes me wonder how much pull he's actually got. I would assume he has quite a lot. Based on all those pictures he seems rather comfortable around the talent and the crews. I've read some horror stories about what happens when Hollywood gets a hold of your book rights. However, it seems in this case, just the opposite is happening and Terry himself, seems to driving a type of brand awareness over to the television show. I have a feeling that this is going to be HUGE. Especially since Game of Thrones just jumped the shark in a big way. Fans may bounce on over to this. Since with all those books, they can take their time and pace it out well. So that they won't run into the same problems GOT had.

EDIT: Terry Brook is listed officially as executive producer. He got a good deal and wide range.

Last edited:
Yes, Terry has a big say on what goes on. So many readers are really happy about that. There may be a few small changes, but these have Terry's approval. Everyone is very excited! :)

Yes, Terry has a big say on what goes on. So many readers are really happy about that. There may be a few small changes, but these have Terry's approval. Everyone is very excited! :)

It will be interesting to see how well Shannara will translate to the big screen.

I'm wonder if someday , they will ever do First King of Shannara or the Knight of the Word .

Although the Shannara series is of some questionable quality and originality (at least The Sword of) I have always liked Terry Brooks in terms of his interactions with fans and his works ethics. I think Shannara could be adapted very well but I would prefer the Knight of the Word series to be adapted. Truth be told though, Brooks wove all of these into one big yarn anyway with Shannara being set in our far future.

I started reading the Shannara books 29 years ago and I love them. I am really looking forward to the TV show and really hope MTV don't let us down.

Graham

SHANNARA On MTV: Mallenroh & Morag Cast
BY SHAWN SPEAKMAN
– POSTED ON JUNE 20, 2015

Mallenroh

Morag

The Shannara Chronicles IMDB.com page is featuring two additions to the TV series!

Actors Genevieve Aitken and Kendal Rae will play the roles of the witch sisters, Mallenroh and Morag. Hating one another for centuries and their power matched equally, the two witches discover Wil Ohmsford carries a powerful talisman, the possession of which could give the owner the upper hand in their bitter war.

Mallenroh will be played by Genevieve Aitken. We have seen her work both on screen and on television. She played a Mord Sith in Legend of the Seeker and has been a stunt performer in such movies as Mad Max: Fury Road and Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit movie trilogy.

Morag will be played by Kendal Rae. The actor is also no stranger to television. Like others in The Shannara Chronicles cast, she has a great deal of TV experience, playing roles on such noted shows as Neighbours and 2 Broke Girls.

In the novel, the two witch sisters are identical twins. Rather than use CGI to achieve that with one actor, this is a minor change that allows more acting chemistry to occur between two characters that truly and utterly hate one another.

I have to say, I love this casting. I can’t wait to see Genevieve Aitken and Kendal Rae transform into the most beautiful—and downright evil—witches TV has ever seen!

What do you think of this casting?

I was not a big fan of the first two Shannara books because I found the prose rather ... plodding ... and therefore didn't read any of the rest. But a series might be fun, because I did like the story in the second book (and the visuals could be awesome) so I'm sure I'll watch the first episode to see if I'm going to like it.

The first two books wear their origins far too much on their sleeve, in my opinion. Let's face it, Brooks was writing his own Lord of the Rings saga. However, I did enjoy the Talismans of Shannara series, particularly the Elf Queen, so maybe jump to those if you're keen for a try. Also, try the Magic Kingdom For Sale Sold series, which I feel has a lot more energy and character to it. Later Shannara volumes became exercises in rehashing earlier material: a quest begins, someone from Shannara family called, throw in a badly fleshed-out cast that involves a lot of elven Hunters (most of which have no names) and off we go.

Not sure how I managed to miss this thread before, but better late than never!

Apparently, they've wrapped up filming.

Don't really trust MTV much farther than I can throw them to not screw this up, but (as others have noted), if Brooks has as much reign as it seems, it sounds promising.

Waiting with poorly concealed impatience...;)

For once it might even be better than the books which ramble and repeat. But I'd not take up pay TV just for this. If any good, I'll wait for DVDs.

It's said that the trailer and hopefully air date will be announced at San Diego Comic Con!!!

MTV & Terry Brooks Bring THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES To Comic-Con
BY SHAWN SPEAKMAN
– POSTED ON JUNE 26, 2015
Terry Brooks is attending the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con!

And so is MTV!

Terry is no stranger to Comic-Con. He has attended several in the last decade and always has a great time meeting with fantasy fans from all over the world. That said, this year is particularly special. The Shannara Chronicles will be featured at Comic-Con, MTV having a booth on the convention floor and the forthcoming series featured in a star-studded panel on Friday, July 10th! It will be the first real look at the much-anticipated TV series!

Read below for the panels/signing events at this year’s Comic-Con:

THURSDAY, JULY 9TH

TERRY BROOKS & THE WORLD OF SHANNARA
3:00PM – 4:00PM | Horton Grand Theatre
Del Rey Books published The Sword of Shannara in 1977. Since then, legendary fantasy author Terry Brooks has written more than 25 New York Times bestselling novels. After more than three decades of readers falling in love with Terry Brooks’ world, MTV will bring Shannara to life in a new TV series. Join Terry as he talks about the history of Shannara, his life as a writer, and what’s to come in the future. Moderated by Ali T. Kokmen (B&N, Nook Digital).

BOOK SIGNING, SAILS PAVILION – 5:30-6:00 PM

GENERATIONS IN CONVERSATION: TERRY BROOKS & PIERCE BROWN
7:30PM – 8:30PM | Room 4
Terry Brooks (Shannara) has been writing fantasy for nearly 40 years, and his editor Anne Groell has been editing for more than 20 years. Author Pierce Brown (Red Rising) arrived on the scene only 1 year ago, while his editor Michael Braff began his career 5 years ago. Both authors were instant New York Times bestsellers-Terry in 1977 and Pierce in 2014. Both have sold their stories to Hollywood. And both have very passionate fans. Join these authors and their editors as they discuss the changing landscape of book publishing, genre fiction, and how their experiences compare as the legend versus the rookie.

FRIDAY, JULY 10TH

MTV’S THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES
12:30PM – 1:30PM | Room 6DE
MTV will introduce fans to the world of “Shannara” when author and series Executive Producer Terry Brooks joins stars Poppy Drayton, Austin Butler, Ivana Baquero, John Rhys Davies and Manu Bennett, along with Executive Producers and showrunners Al Gough and Miles Millar. Attendees will bear first witness to a first look trailer of the highly anticipated new series and be able to participate in a Q&A with the panelists. Damian Holbrook, Senior Writer from TV Guide Magazine will moderate.
SATURDAY, JULY 11TH

BOOK SIGNING, SAILS PAVILION – 11:00-1:00 PM
If you are attending Comic-Con, be sure to stop by the MTV Booth (#3729) as well! Not only will they have great swag but they will also be giving out a Comic-Con exclusive edition of The Elfstones of Shannara, the novel the first season of The Shannara Chronicles is based on. Oh, and let’s not forget that some of the cast members will likely be stopping by the MTV booth too!

This looks to be the beginning of publicity and marketing for The Shannara Chronicles! I’ll be at Comic-Con just like Terry, watching it all unfold. Hopefully we will have some cool things to share soon!

Are any of you attending Comic-Con this year?

More news when I can post it!

TAGS: austin butler, comic con, defenders of shannara, jon favreau, manu bennett, mtv, poppy drayton, san diego comic con, the darkling child, the shannara chronicles

About Shawn Speakman
I am the long-time friend and webmaster for Terry Brooks as well as the author of The Dark Thorn, an urban/epic fantasy hybrid novel Terry calls "a fine tale by a talented writer." Join me on Facebook and Twitter (@shawnspeakman)!

It's here! It's here! Go here for trailer. Can't it to come up here.
http://terrybrooks.net/2015/07/sdcc-panel-video-the-shannara-chronicles/

The San Diego Comic-Con panel for The Shannara Chronicles just finished!

Here is the video presentation that was shown to the room! It is the first of several such videos/trailers that will be released in the forthcoming months until the shows release!

The Shannara Chronicles will air January 2016!

Prepare to return to the Four Lands…