3.10: The Devil's Share

ctg

weaver of the unseen
As the POI team seeks justice for Carter’s murder, Finch realizes one of his team members may go one step too far in order to end the war with HR.

*** Spoilers ***

First of all, I don't have a lot of time, but let me say this: "Go Fusco. Go!"

Now, as that's over, the series is getting far more interesting as it progresses towards the end. Nobody's safe, and people who die, they remain dead unless the creators wants otherwise. There is no second change. No act of God. Not even if you make deal with the devil - as Simon's did - because at the end of the road, there's always someone you least expected waiting for you to make that mistake. And that's what the number did. A mistake.

Sure you can argue it wasn't a mistake but a deliberate deal that Reese did when he dropped the note. But when you think about it who's better to bring HR's storyline to the end then Fusco even if r00t had her fingers in the play.

Thing about r00t is that she's cunningly reliable, and she'll do whatever is needed. In the same time she only trusts the Analogue even though she's trying to find her way into Finch heart. In a way I see her as a perfect candidate for the mastermind that created the Machine. But then again, knowing that she's also crazy because there's no other way to describe her actions as surely the Machine wasn't talking to her before she picked that receiver in the train-station.

You could of course argue she was perfectly sane and I would accept it. Just like r00t accepts Analogue's words even though the others believe she's about to get them killed. And that makes me think what is the the Machine preparing for? What is the end-game?

Well, that was dark! And the people who want to kill Simmons, stand in line!

As for Groves - does the Machine really speak to her? I had thought that she was wearing an radio earphone before, or else she had previously read reports from the Machine on her laptop. However, today she was getting information real-time and she didn't appear to be wearing any devices. So, what she told the psychiatrist last Season was the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

So then, what is the great thing coming predicted by Groves? HR and the Russians are no longer a threat. Elias's organisation still exists but isn't what it was. The Government can't seem to touch the Machine now that it has distributed its servers. So, that leaves the Decima organisation?

As for Groves - does the Machine really speak to her? I had thought that she was wearing an radio earphone before, or else she had previously read reports from the Machine on her laptop. However, today she was getting information real-time and she didn't appear to be wearing any devices.

I thought I saw her stick in an earpiece before she left the cage, though I couldn't swear to it.

So then, what is the great thing coming predicted by Groves? HR and the Russians are no longer a threat. Elias's organisation still exists but isn't what it was. The Government can't seem to touch the Machine now that it has distributed its servers. So, that leaves the Decima organisation?

Maybe - I mean, I figure the only thing Groves would see as a great thing would involve the Machine itself - HR and the Russians and even Elias were never really direct threats to the machine itself and I think the only thing Groves would care about would be things that were. Groves would be about making the Machine truly omnipotent and invincible. What the Machine really wants, I don't know.

I had a few problems with this episode - I feel like the writers were doing the "if we pull the tablecloth out fast enough it won't upset the dishes". For instance, how did all the feds and other cops and officials just accept that Fusco happened to be there with Quinn (who - as far as I know - is still alive, by the way) - and Quinn had nothing to say about him? And, while I had trouble accepting an earlier Reese/Simmons fight, it showed Simmons somehow going toe-to-toe and living to tell the tale. So if we accept that, how can we accept that Fusco could go all Lethal Weapon on Simmons and win? (Though it was extremely well done and touch-and-go.)

But, stuff like that aside, this was a very exciting and satisfying episode and, again, on a cinematic level of intensity and visuals. The show has so many moving parts that I actually wasn't even thinking about Elias until he popped up and, despite my quibbles with some writing, I thought the "I don't think she liked me. But I liked her." was absolutely perfect. And it worked out - catharsis via Elias while still keeping our heroes' hands clean. ;)

And I was extremely hyped when Groves was finally unleashed. Again, a small quibble - I thought it was fine for her to go back to the cage but I believe Finch locked (or at least latched) the door. I thought it would have been better if he'd just pushed it to. What's the point of shutting her in if she's in voluntarily and - as he himself correctly pointed out - would have killed him long ago (or escaped) if that was her objective.

Anyway - I love this show. I just wonder what it'll be like if we go back to the "case of the week" episodes after this.

I remember Groves sticking an earpiece in too.

I think Simmons' gunshot wound was enough to let Fusco deal with him hand to broken hand. And i think Fusco had just been pushed to far to care about any pain in his hands when it came to fighting Simmons.

Earlier in the show Root was on a payphone to get "instructions?" I guess given the number of payphones in today's world that couldn't last. It seemed as though perhaps the machine laid out her game plan in advance of the group's arrival at the safehouse Quinn was being kept in, and that constant communication would not be required? For example, the arrival timing and direction of the backup team that Root single-handedly took out (okay, she had two pistols and used both hands) would have been fairly predictable. Gotta say, though, one person with two handguns laying down six persons with six automatic weapons; could have done without that part.