Just started watching...

No spoilers please!

Season 2 does start out with much more of a bang, up and running immediately, despite the disappearance of Sinclair. Not only did DS9 fail to get going until Season 3 but Voyager, TNG and many other shows. Even something like Breaking Bad only really cranked it up later. So, the criticism of Season 1 may be a little harsh.

I enjoyed Bablyon 5 a great deal. The Aliens were very authentic feeling and complex. I feel like a lot of concepts from the show were borrowed (in the politest of terms) in other projects. I won't get into specifics because it will probably be spoiler'y, but it's easily one of the best Scifi shows.

A bit unfortunate here that "5" looks a bit like "S". :D

When the show originally started on Channel 4 I used to call it 'Bolloxon 4' :ninja: My opinion changed later on in the first season, happily! :)

I'm halfway through the second season now and it certainly got a lot better. There are still the odd cheesy things (like Ivanova having Earth sex) but in the main it is becoming gripping and the characters are no longer wooden. The "arc" writing even allows multiple plots within the same episode - more like a soap opera than a serial. I can now see likenesses to elements of DS9, though nothing is exactly the same.

I'm halfway through the second season now and it certainly got a lot better. There are still the odd cheesy things (like Ivanova having Earth sex) but in the main it is becoming gripping and the characters are no longer wooden. The "arc" writing even allows multiple plots within the same episode - more like a soap opera than a serial. I can now see likenesses to elements of DS9, though nothing is exactly the same.

I gather you've been enjoying it, then, and glad you stuck it out? :)

My kids are enjoying the series, even though they say they shouldn't like such an old program! They hate the special effects in Seasons 1-2, though. :)

Even my eldest is enjoying the rewatch:

My eldest has complained about the lack of LGBT characters in modern TV shows - yet back there in 1995, we had Ivanova and Talia Winters...

A friend of mine has just started watching this for the first time.

I have advised him to go to series two and go from there and then come back for the first series once he gets into it.

awesome series "Babylon 5" yet an other well made sci-fi television series amazing now I`ve gotten the dvd box sets happiness is overjoyed.............

What on Earth is LGBT ???????

Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transsexual. I think Star Trek DS9 may have done something similar with the Dax character - IIRC she had lived as different genders in the past, which also would have challenged the norm that leading characters must be heterosexual.

Yes the Dax entity was about 300 years old.
In that time it's hosts body's with which it co-existed were of both sexes.
And it kept the memories of all of them.

Well, I've watched and re-watched B5 many times, always start from the beginning and watch all of S1, not had a problem with it, though definitely have some preferred episodes. Do have to say though that the pilot was a bit weak and we nearly didn't continue with the series having seen the pilot.
In terms of season 5 - they re-wrote it on the fly was my understanding. I thought that part way through the making of season 4, they were told that was it on the money, no season 5, so they crammed in stuff that would have been in season 5 to give the fans some closure - then they got the money for season 5 after all.

For me, B5 is about really intelligent writing. The first time I saw their idea for launching the fighters - wow. Not seen that anywhere else and so much more logical than the whole runway clone.

Babylon 5 in the Age of Streaming
Babylon 5 in the Age of Streaming

As this page points out, the show was produced in the 4:3 aspect ratio, but when it was rebroadcast on Sci-Fi, and then again for its DVD release, it was converted to 16:9. This posed no problems for the live action sequences, but the 4:3 480p effects shots were cropped to 16:9 360p. On a standard definition set this isn’t much of a problem, but when you use an upconverting Blu-Ray player to play that DVD on a big 1080p set, those effects shots are done at one-third the TV’s resolution. The live-action shots without effects still look fine; the effects shots and the composited shots look terrible.