The Man In The High Castle: Not Impressed

Desilu, Dick is one of the most imaginative authors I can think of. I would suggest reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (his most famous probably), Ubik, Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, VALIS... Read them all. And his short fiction is a treat. :)

Thank you for the recommendations,Vince W. That's why I like these forums,lots of helpful advice and information.
I do have Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep,but I've seen Bladerunner and wonder if that will spoil it for me.
I guess I'll have to read it and see.I've made a note of the books you mention.
So now they are on MY LIST.:)

That's good to know,as I do really like the film.
I think you have to tackle books and films as separate entities in their own right.

Hey Desilu! Happy to see you enjoyed this book...I love it! I also love PKD. I'll mention that the tone in The Man in the High Castle seems, to me, to be unique in his oeuvre. Some of his books are really out there, thematically, and in the writing style...kind of surreal, paranoid, political, philosophical wonders. Vince made some great suggestions for follow-up books. Do Androids... seems like a perfect next step of discovery. I hope you enjoy PKD's other works! :) CC

Thanks cat's Cradle,I like PKD's writing in this book.I will certainly try as many of his others as I can get hold of.

. . . And there are a lot of books you can get hold of, Desilu. PKD was a very prolific writer! He is my favorite author and there are a lot of novels and short stories that I would recommend. But to add to what was already mentioned, I would also recommend Martian Timeslip, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Time Out of Joint, The Zap Gun & Dr. Bloodmoney.

I have read Do androids dream of electric sheep and am now reading Flow my tears.
I have a feeling I will read all of PKD's books in the near future.
I really enjoy PKD's original ,creative ideas.
His differing views of the future, dystopian(that word is everywhere at present)society are a bit worrying,but his writing is packed full of style.

Last edited:
To add to this, I'd also strongly recommend picking up some of his non-genre books, Voices from the Street being my current favourite. The views on humanity in the most mundane of settings really complement the SF ideas in his other works, and the style is just beautiful.

To add to this, I'd also strongly recommend picking up some of his non-genre books, Voices from the Street being my current favourite. The views on humanity in the most mundane of settings really complement the SF ideas in his other works, and the style is just beautiful.
I will read that,as I have it here ready.I am having a rest from PKD's sci/fi for a while.

I've read the lot apart from the Exegesis which is still sat on the shelf glaring at me. High Castle was okay, but struck me as efficient rather than anything to inspire jumping up and down prior to shoving the book in the faces of strangers whilst screaming READ THIS! He wrote better. He wrote funnier too. I never quite saw why that one should have won the awards over at least fifteen others he wrote. That's my opinion.

I really enjoyed High Castle,despite feeling that the ending was a bit weak.
It would be a dull world if we all had the same taste.
"Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer pick."
I think The Minority Report is my favourite of PKD's work,(but I do change my mind sometimes.)