Discussion thread -- SEVENTY-FIVE WORD WRITING CHALLENGE November 2013

Well, well, well...

I like this, something a bit different, and a challenge too

Good call TJ

And a double post:

I had intended to come back this month and restart the old comments, but after three years of doing them, and despite the immense appreciation I have received for them (including a very precious and appreciated thread) I have decided to stop doing them completely.

The main reason for this is time, as most of you know I don't seem to be able to stop with a simple sentence and waffle on, and this all takes time. When you combine this with other stuff I am meant to be writing, it seems somehow wrong.

I do enjoy doing them and it helps me decide my vote, but for the present I should be concentrating on other things.

On top of that both Victoria and Starbeast do a magnificent job, and I'm more than happy to read their insights.

Perp.

I don't blame you Perp Man, I had a go at writing little summaries and reviews for all the entries last month (which I didn't post) - took ages!

TJ, awesome genre and theme! Where's my deerstalker?

I should keep this under my hat :)rolleyes:), but I can easily imagine one regular challenge contributor having a death by ray gun as part of his entry.

And Perp: you've put an immense amount of effort in, for which we're all extremely grateful. None of us would want you to continue something that has turned into a burden.

Thought I break with recent tradition and get in first (very strange feeling, where's everyone else?)

Very different and a lot of fun.

I initially (somehow) read the theme as surprise, but it works better as a secret after all.

Now wear are my glasses.

I got hit by the inspiration bus this morning, so I have posted early again. :)

Perp, I've loved reading your comments, but they were boons you gifted to us. They were never supposed to be a chore for you. If the time has come for you to stop, that's perfectly fine. Others have picked up the baton and I'm sure, in time, the baton may be passed on again.

Thanks for doing such a sterling job. :)

By the way, I think the early posters have all cleared off to some seaside resort in the South of England.

Your Honour, is this challenge not strictly SFF? Not complaining. It gives scope for flexing the writing muscles, if so. Just enquiring.

No, Aber -- there's never been a requirement for the 75 worders to be SFF, though most of the genres have been related to them in some way. We've had a few Challenges which were wholly open -- ie any genre was acceptable -- and, of course, Chris's notorious "In the style of Rudyard Kipling". I thought it would be good to throw in something a bit different for a change.

The 300 worders are different, of course -- there the genre is always SF, fantasy or speculative fiction.

This is a great theme and I have written three stories already...there in lies the problem of actually choosing one that will be effective.

Does anyone else do this? I try to write a few styles, one dark, one light/funny, and one emotional then choose what I like the best

Ooops, hope I did not give the wrong impression about the comments, I was never bored of doing them, and I still enjoyed it. Just other things are moving in, some quite exciting, some a little mundane, and something had to give.

Ooops, hope I did not give the wrong impression about the comments, I was never bored of doing them, and I still enjoyed it. Just other things are moving in, some quite exciting, some a little mundane, and something had to give.

Perp, Mrs Perp and the Perpettes should always come first :) Although I will miss your comments -- you always made my work sound a ton better than it really was lol

It's time consuming and people are allowed their real life :)

Umm... am I the only one who usually just writes it and posts ?

No, Perp. You didn't give me that impression at all. :)
I probably shouldn't have used the word chore. I meant it in the sense of as something expected of you, not as something that's a drag on you.

It's good that things are changing and new things are moving in. Natural change. Anyway, less reviews might give you more time to write stories. ;)
All the best, mate.

Back