3.05: Razgovor

J-Sun

I usually avoid promos for shows I watch as they tend to either spoil things or mislead the viewer but I caught these to an extent (I think always muted, but I saw some) and... they misled this viewer. This week looked like a bad episode but I actually liked this one - it's probably the new "best episode of the year" though there are a couple of problems.

On the (possibly) good side, for folks who had a problem with Shaw's personality (which partly included me), they explicitly addressed it. If you just want an explanation. On the other hand, if you just plain don't like it, it looks like you're stuck with it indefinitely. It is recognized as a real condition (or cluster of them). The curious thing is how it started. They depicted her having no reaction to her father's death which could itself be the cause but I think she said something to the effect of having "realized it" at that time, as though she was maybe born that way. Anyway, it's interesting. Also interesting that the great final scene was her meeting up with her even more psychologically damaged best buddy. It will be interesting to see what Root's up to there (I'm sure the promos indicated something but I've skipped them so far).

A good and a bad was Carter breaking bad on Junior HR Cop, using the same method Reese used on Fusco. While I happily accepted it with Fusco, we've since seen that the PD is *so* corrupt that I don't see it having much hold over the kid - he must know that HR would be able to fix the problem. Unless they'd punish him for letting Carter get the edge on him. Anyway, it was a fun scene for Carter.

A bad was why the hell the older HR cop is still alive and why they were basically sparring when Reese should have killed him with a couple of blows in an instant. But maybe I missed something there.

Some other issues, but I forget.

Who thought of Aliens when the little girl directed Shaw into the ductwork? :) There was another movie reference but I forget what it was.

And how many young people's lives is Finch paying for now?

Anyway - interesting story with interesting character insights and a promise of a bigger role for Root in the next ep (and hopefully more).

(Next week, somebody else needs to hurry and post the thread. ;) I've posted too many of these.)

...probably the new "best episode of the year"
I think I agree!

...folks who had a problem with Shaw's personality (which partly included me), they explicitly addressed it.
Well, I wasn't keen on Shaw, especially if she was to be a replacement for Reece. But now I do like her.
The curious thing is how it started. They depicted her having no reaction to her father's death which could itself be the cause but I think she said something to the effect of having "realized it" at that time, as though she was maybe born that way.
Yes, I agree. That wasn't the cause but rather the exposition.

Anyway, it's interesting. Also interesting that the great final scene was her meeting up with her even more psychologically damaged best buddy. It will be interesting to see what Root's up to there (I'm sure the promos indicated something but I've skipped them so far).
Yes, the final scene seemed disconnected. I also skip promos. Why do I want to see spoilers when speculation is so much more interesting?

A good and a bad was Carter breaking bad on Junior HR Cop, using the same method Reese used on Fusco. While I happily accepted it with Fusco, we've since seen that the PD is *so* corrupt that I don't see it having much hold over the kid - he must know that HR would be able to fix the problem. Unless they'd punish him for letting Carter get the edge on him. Anyway, it was a fun scene for Carter.
I have to agree with you given that he mentioned hundreds of corrupt cops, and even the little girl knew NYPD was more corrupt than Russian cops.

I think it is unbelievable that the head of HR is still secret. "We" have known since the first series. That knowledge itself has value to a criminal facing a rap. HR are just not scary enough; not nearly as scary as the Russians.

Back