Angry Robot open door

I saw that. The competition is fierce, but you'd expect that for a company with a good record, like Angry Robot.

I should say, I won't be in it. Not there yet.

Last edited:
Don't think I'll bother this time around: not ready, not finished, not inclined to rush it just to submit it, because it won't be as I like it...

Well, I should hope it won't be as you like it -- that's already been done!

I like their categories -- SF, F, and WTF. That's what I write!

No, mine's written in the first person...;)

ROTL. The manuscript I have just finished re-editing comes under the WTF genre. Saying that I am not sure if it is Angry Robot's cup of tea. It is tempting. I will talk things over with a couple of mates at WFC and see what they think.

If I am honest I am in a right panic about sending this one out into the world again.

100% out. My WIP's nearly done, but it's 36k words. However, if they do one at this time next year then I could (maybe) have something to enter.

I've always loved the unique approach AR and its brethern have on their subs page. Good Luck to anyone that throws their hat in.

What do you mean - that they're too much? That's me all over, but I really wanted to enter just cos the rules page made me L as they say OL.

I hope Mouse is joking. The word counts are pretty standard for any book publisher - no-one apart from category romance imprints is interested in anything under 75k, and certainly not novella length. Except maybe e-imprints, which AR aren't.

And the upper limits for fantasy are generous compared to the US market, where you're often told 120k max for a debut.

Nope, not joking. I know what word counts are wanted for what, I've done enough research into it! They say they want a min of 95k for fantasy. Mine's 85k. I've not had a problem submitting it to other places with that word count, but then I don't write epic and mine's only vaguely fantasy anyway, it's more ghosty stuff, so AR wouldn't be interested anyway.

I have a ghosty romance that's 55k and that's up for subbing next.

I hope Mouse is joking. The word counts are pretty standard for any book publisher - no-one apart from category romance imprints is interested in anything under 75k, and certainly not novella length. Except maybe e-imprints, which AR aren't.

And the upper limits for fantasy are generous compared to the US market, where you're often told 120k max for a debut.

Hi Anne, if I had something ready it would be pitching to the weird supernatural horror-y end of the spectrum as I don't write/enjoy fantasy - which I always assume has a prerequisite of a squillion words. (although I read Jonathan Strange twice because I loved it so much, so I guess I can't say I don't enjoy fantasy.) I'm not clever enough to do Sci-Fi so I wondered which category my word count would fall (Sour Ground is at 120k at the moment and 3/4s way through but I know that I will cut at least 40k on first edit).

I've mentioned on here a couple times in the past that a lot of what I write occupies an odd length category; http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/foru...lity-of-awkward-length-works.html#post1753124 and since the advice I got there, I've stopped writing shorter stuff and forced myself to work on Sour Ground instead.

Nope, not joking. I know what word counts are wanted for what, I've done enough research into it! They say they want a min of 95k for fantasy. Mine's 85k. I've not had a problem submitting it to other places with that word count, but then I don't write epic and mine's only vaguely fantasy anyway, it's more ghosty stuff, so AR wouldn't be interested anyway.

I have a ghosty romance that's 55k and that's up for subbing next.

Oh, that surprises me; I just had in my head that you were like Springs and were a story machine with no problems on things like word counts etc ;)

pH

I'm going to stick with my plan and if it is ready by the end of the year I'll send it, if it isn't I won't. I like the idea of the WTF option. Mine will only be 80K but it's an urban fantasy so I'll send it in anyway.

Does anyone have an example of an Angry Robot synopsis because I struggle with their description of it every year - there was one on here wasn't there? I did email them with questions first year but did not receive anything back.

I'm quite willing to accept it is me just not getting it lol

Oh, that surprises me; I just had in my head that you were like Springs and were a story machine with no problems on things like word counts etc ;)

pH

No! I'm not good at writing mega-word counts, I don't know how people do it! 85k is the longest for me.