Abaddon Books announce new concept in genre publishing

SFF Chronicles News

6th October 2011 05:10 PM

Kerry Butters

Times-Arrow-150x150.jpg
Abaddon Books have announced a new venture in genre publishing where the readers are in charge of the story.

Time’s Arrow will be the latest instalment in the Steampunk novel series, Pax Britannia, the longest continuously running series in the world.

Pax Britannia is set in a world where the Victorian age never ended and is a crazy and adventurous world of high technology.

Time’s Arrow takes a different direction as, not only will each instalment be published an ebook, but at the end of each of the first two, readers will then get to vote on how they want the story to go.

Then, once all three instalments have been published, they will be bound to produce a print edition.

The initial offering will go online on the 11th October and the vote for what happens next will close on 11th December.

“Merging the best of print and online, Abaddon is proud to engage in such an exciting experiment – one where readers actively have a say in how the book is written,” says Abaddon’s Michael Molcher.

Jon Green has written titles in the legendary Fighting Fantasy series and created seven of the critically-acclaimed Pax Britannia books for Abaddon.

“Pax Britannia is one of Abaddon’s most established series,” said Jonathan Oliver, editor-in-chief of Abaddon Books, “so it seemed like the natural choice for such a unique venture in publishing.”

“This adventure is sure to reach out to new readers while giving established fans a say in the rich universe they have come to love.”

“I am passionate about the whole Steampunk milieu, and the world of Pax Britannia in particular, while my first forays into writing professionally were adventure gamebooks,” says Jonathan Green.

“To marry elements of both is a fantastic opportunity for me as a writer and I, for one, can’t wait to see how the story pans out!”

Pax Britannia launched in 2007 with Unnatural History. The novels are a steampunk alternative history in which Queen Victoria rules over a powerful and wealthy “Magna Britannia”.

The Queen has ruled for 16 decades and the country is completely dependent on steam technology for survival.

Dinosaurs roam London Zoo, whilst airships fly above and people now live on the moon.

Jonathan Green has written books following the adventurers of Ulysses Lucian Quicksilver, a dandy and adventurer who is allied to the throne.

An omnibus of the first three of his novels is currently available.