Gravity (2013)

Okay that gave me a fright when the ship blew apart - I think my sound must be turned up way too high. Lots of Sandra Bullock gasping and panting, and not sure why you'd leave you're kid to go into space anyway.

She scares me she always looks the same! does the woman not age! Plus I prefer her in the comedy type roles :)

Sandra Bullock gasping and panting

I'm with biodroid on this.

I saw Gravity yesterday. It has been hyped to the max in Aus with every film critic (the weasels) loving it.

I think it's a great movie. It's about survival, a testament to the human spirit in adversity. But I wouldn't class it as sci-fi. If this is sci-fi, then so is White House Down. It is an alternate reality story, I guess, in that this never happened while the space shuttle was being used etc, but other than that it is just about humans in space. No aliens, no time travel, no other sci-fi stuff.

So. Gravity is not sci-fi. Discuss.

PS. It's still a great movie.

Last edited:
...not sure why you'd leave you're kid to go into space anyway.

The kid is dead.

Just saw this this weekend. I had high hopes based on reviews. My main quibble is that the soundtrack is highly intrusive and did not add much to the movie. Otherwise, most of the "reality" elements were pretty well done. Sandra Bullock's oxygen starved breaks from that reality were also well conceived and added to the depth of her character and her motivation to succeed. The transitions from shuttle to ISS to Soyuz to Chinese station were nerve-wracking and highly unlikely, but certainly kept the viewer's attention.

All in all, pretty good. But not perfect, as Neal deGrasse Tyson has pointed out.

...I wouldn't class it as sci-fi... ... It is an alternate reality story, I guess, in that this never happened while the space shuttle was being used etc, but other than that it is just about humans in space. No aliens, no time travel, no other sci-fi stuff.

So. Gravity is not sci-fi. Discuss.

PS. It's still a great movie.

You can have good Sci-Fi without aliens, time travel, FTL, clones and all those fantastical elements, but, although I haven't seen this, this looks like is something that might have happened 20-years ago with the technology we had then, but didn't. So, is it not some kind of Steampunk?

I haven't watched it because of the comments that nothing much happens except for Sandra Bullock swinging around on a rope. In many ways it sounds more like one of those mountain rescue films i.e. Vertical Limit (2000)

Feel free to tell me that I'm wrong, but the fact that it has quickly gone to DVD and pay-to-view says a lot to me.

I like the look of it and will probably see it at the cinema. I bet it'd be glorious in IMAX.

Well then maybe I'll take out the dvd.... and hope not to be disappointed by Sandra swinging on a rope panting!

Improbably physics don't bother me, I wouldn't even notice that stuff and if Clovis-man says there's good depth of character and motivation to survive - I'll give it ago. :)

I loved the movie! I was not so sure purely based on the trailer, but it was awesome :) Really loved the scene where**Spoiler Alert**

where she's in the ISS and they show her going into the fetal position...one of the best scenes/shots in the entire movie in my opinion.

Fantastic movie, very imressed :)

In a word:

Wow.

In more words:

See this film.

Right. Must find babysitter.

I want to see it, but nobody wants to see it with me. :(

I would. :)

Just watched the trailer, though and not sure I'm keen on the girly being panicky and talked down by the bloke (even if I should totally get that). Um - is that a theme? If so, I think I'd hate it.

From what I gather, she's not panicky because she's a woman, but because she's not actually a proper astronaut.