Post-Apoc Vamp Fiction Extract 1.5k

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCosta

Habitual Daydreamer
I'm just working my way through the first draft of my WIP and added this scene a few nights ago. I've gone over it a few times since and thought I should have a go at posting it here. Mind you, I'm freakin' terrified of you lot but hey, it's all for the greater good, right.

This is 1st draft, so it hasn't been through any edits. I do hope it's not too much of a slog!

The reader has met Megan before, but not Jack. So I'm keen to know what your impression of him is.

Setting is post-apoc, the reader is well aware of that at this point in the story. However, this scene does happen quite early on, so I'm still trickling in some world building at this stage. Think Walking Dead but with vampires.

(Hides behind sofa) Go for it...

~~~

Megan perched on the step of a rusted old train carriage, knees drawn up as she watched the sun rise. Beneath the platform canopy behind the carriage, Jack and the others huddled around a small campfire, sheltering amongst the ruins of what must have once been a bustling railway station.

The train yard opened out to the east, where the rising sun had begun to bleed the sky red, casting a burnt orange hue over scattered remains of the town they had fled the night before.

She watched for signs of the two men she had left behind, hoping she might see them shuffling up the tracks towards them, but as the minutes turned into hours, she began to realise they weren’t coming.

The murmurs of the group drifted to her on the breeze, an occasional sob rising above the whispers. Megan’s chest tightened, anxiety and guilt leeching outward. She knew what they were discussing. They had left Graham and Devon behind and it was her fault. It had been the right thing to do, but that didn’t stop it from feeling so wrong. Her gut told her she should have stayed, should have tried something. Anything. But she ran. She had heard Devon’s howl of pain and still she had fled. How could she live with that?

Jack approached, hands tucked deep into the pockets of his wrinkled wax jacket. His smile fell short of meaningful, tired eyes pinched with worry.

“Are you alright?” he asked, lifting his cap and rubbing a hand across his forehead.

She dared not speak, not trusting her voice. Instead she shook her head, swiping a few stray tears off her cheek.

She tried to be brave, but there was something about Jack that spoke directly to the little girl cowering inside her. His skin weathered by the harsh outdoor life, grizzled hair splayed out beneath the grubby cap he rarely removed, he reminded her of her father, what little she could remember of him. It wasn’t so much his appearance, but the way he always seemed to be there, offering support, even when she screwed up.

“You did the right thing.” He assured.

Megan turned her head away. His kind words choked her, wrenching a few sobs free.

“You know,” she whispered, hoping to hide the depth of her grief, “We never thanked him. He didn’t know us. He could have left us all for dead. He saved us, Jack. Every day he stayed, he saved us... and not once did we thank him.”

Jack leant a shoulder against the carriage, brushing flakes of rust off his coat. His silence confirmed Megan’s thoughts. Jack hadn’t liked Devon, most of them hadn’t. Devon hadn’t made it easy for them to get to know him, but they couldn’t deny the fact he had saved their lives. They wouldn’t miss him though and that hurt her even more. He didn’t deserve to be forgotten.

“Listen, Megan,” Jack said, “They need you.” He lowered his voice, glancing over his shoulder as if expecting company. “The others need someone strong. They can’t see you like this. I can’t give them what they want to hear, I’m no good at all that… talk. You need to put it behind you. Whatever you saw, whatever happened, get over it.”

She glared at him. How could he say that, didn’t he care at all about Graham, about Devon. “He had a family you know, once.” She said. Jack frowned, whether he knew about Devon’s family or not, she couldn’t be sure, but her words appeared to strike a nerve in him. “He wouldn’t talk about it.”

“We all had families once.”

Megan often forgot that Jack had been alive when the world had been a very different place. She only knew the desolation, but he had lived in a world bustling with life, where millions of people mingled in cities, where the towns shone bright at night, streetlights and houses lit up, their glow painting the night sky orange with light pollution. A world with a constant supply of electricity, where every house buzzed with technology and rivers of cars flowed back and forth along the now deserted roads. She could only imagine what it had been like to be cushioned by such a world. He didn’t like to talk about it, as was so often the case with anyone that remembered the time before the virus had ravaged modern civilisation. She knew very little about his family, his life before, and couldn’t remember much of her own early years. He was right though, everyone had lost family.

“Megan,” Jack met her wide-eyed stare, his gaze softer than before. “You need to forget Devon. We’re grateful for what he did, of course we are, but he had it coming. Nobody can take the risks he did and survive for long.”

Anger flashed inside her, snuffing out the guilt. “He died because of us, you get that right?”

Jack lifted a hand defensively. “We hardly knew him. Forget him. It’s not Devon you should be thinking about, it’s Emma. She’s in pieces back there. You’ve got to talk to her.”

Mention of Emma sent a fresh heart-wrenching wave of grief through her. “I can’t.”

“Yes you can.”

Megan shook her head, her reply catching in her throat. “They could be alive…” Even as she said it, she knew it was a false hope. She had heard the screams, knew the odds of surviving an ambush like that were slim and yet she had seen Devon slaughter rogue vampires without so much as breaking a sweat. He had lived to hunt them, almost as though he enjoyed it. His ruthless tactics had scared the others, but Megan had seen in him what they needed to do to survive. If anyone could get out of an ambush alive, it was Devon.

“We could go back…” She looked hopefully at Jack, but the resignation on his face dashed any hope she had left.

“We’ll give them a few hours,” Jack sighed, “but we need to move before nightfall.”

She nodded, the last few tears falling free. “Are we going to be okay?”

Jack mustered a more genuine smile. He squeezed her shoulder and then unashamedly pulled her against him, the embrace unexpectedly tender. “Yes, we’re going to be okay.” He said, “Devon taught us a few things about surviving out here. We can do this, Megan. We just need to find somewhere we can fortify. Somewhere we can make safe. We’re going to be okay.”

She buried her head against his shoulder, falling into the hug whilst swallowing the sobs before they overwhelmed her. She wanted to believe him, she really did, but with Devon, things had been different. They’d gone on the offensive, actively seeking out the vampires. Devon had been their best chance of survival. He knew what made the vampires tick, knew how to manipulate them. He had taught her all the tricks, how to lure them in by turning their hyper-alert senses against them and using fresh blood to distract them. Without him, she was at a loss, on the run once again. How could she protect the group knowing how slim their chances were. Devon had inferred as much on several occasions. He’d tried to sidestep around the hard truth of it, but they both knew the chances of surviving out here were slim at best. Without someone as skilled as Devon, it was just a matter of time before the rogues picked them off. They would need to keep moving; stick with Devon’s plan; find somewhere safe to hole up or another pocket of resistance like the one they had fled, otherwise they were as good as dead.

Jack stood back and searched her tear stained face. “We need you Megan, don’t lose it now.”

She nodded, not ready to speak. She knew what she had to do, but that didn’t make it any easier. She was the strong one. The fighter. The optimist. It wasn’t a role she had asked for, but she had slipped in to. But right now, she couldn’t bring herself to rally them. She’d failed Graham and Devon, and it was all on her. Jack, David, Emma, they looked to her for what to do next and she had no idea.

“Will you talk to Emma?”

“Yeah.” Megan nodded. “Give me a minute, okay.” She let Jack leave, giving him what she hoped was a brave smile as he glanced back at her before he headed back to the others.

Emma… how could she look Emma in the eye and tell her what had happened to Graham, how the father of Emma’s unborn child had screwed up, made one simple mistake and it had cost him his life and the life of the best damn hunter Megan had ever known. It might yet cost them their lives.

I only ever crit stuff this long if it holds my attention...

Megan perched on the step of a rusted old train carriage, knees drawn up as she watched the sun rise. Beneath the platform canopy behind the carriage, Jack and the others huddled around a small campfire, sheltering amongst the ruins of what must have once been a bustling railway station.

The train yard opened out to the east, where the rising sun had begun to bleed the sky red, casting a burnt orange hue over scattered remains of the town they had fled the night before.

She watched for signs of the two men she had left behind, hoping she might see them shuffling up the tracks towards them, but as the minutes turned into hours, she began to realise they weren’t coming.

The murmurs of the group drifted to her on the breeze, an occasional sob rising above the whispers. Megan’s chest tightened, anxiety and guilt leeching outward. She knew what they were discussing. They had left Graham and Devon behind and it was her fault. It had been the right thing to do, but that didn’t stop it from feeling so wrong. Her gut told her she should have stayed, should have tried something. Anything. But she ran. She had heard Devon’s howl of pain and still she had fled. How could she live with that?

Jack approached, hands tucked deep into the pockets of his wrinkled wax jacket. His smile fell short of meaningful, tired eyes pinched with worry. Comma's not right there, I don't think. I read it wrong.

“Are you alright?” (all right) he asked, lifting his cap and rubbing a hand across his forehead.

She dared not speak (sounds a bit formal), not trusting her voice. Instead she shook her head, swiping a few stray tears off her cheek.

She tried to be brave, but there was something about Jack that spoke directly to the little girl cowering inside her. His skin weathered by the harsh outdoor life, grizzled hair splayed out beneath the grubby cap he rarely removed, (I'd put a full stop here) he reminded her of her father, what little she could remember of him. It wasn’t so much his appearance, but the way he always seemed to be there, offering support, even when she screwed up.

“You did the right thing.” He assured. (delete 'he assured')

Megan turned her head away. His kind words choked her, wrenching a few sobs free.

“You know,” she whispered, hoping to hide the depth of her grief, “We never thanked him. He didn’t know us. He could have left us all for dead. He saved us, Jack. Every day he stayed, he saved us... and not once did we thank him.”

Jack leant a shoulder against the carriage, brushing flakes of rust off his coat (I can't work out if these are Brits or Americans, or someone else, but the way they're described and the names make me think American, but 'leant' makes me think Brit). His silence confirmed Megan’s thoughts. Jack hadn’t liked Devon, most of them hadn’t. Devon hadn’t made it easy for them to get to know him, but they couldn’t deny the fact he had saved their lives. They wouldn’t miss him though and that hurt her even more. He didn’t deserve to be forgotten.

“Listen, Megan,” Jack said, “They need you.” (I think that either needs to be a small 't' or a full stop after said) He lowered his voice, glancing over his shoulder as if expecting company. “The others need someone strong. They can’t see you like this. I can’t give them what they want to hear, I’m no good at all that… talk. You need to put it behind you. Whatever you saw, whatever happened, get over it.” (I can only go by what I've read here, but she doesn't come across as strong to me with all that blubbing)

She glared at him. How could he say that, didn’t he care at all about Graham, about Devon. (question mark) “He had a family, you know, once.” She said. (your dialogue punctuation isn't right. You need a comma there and a small s) Jack frowned, whether he knew about Devon’s family or not, she couldn’t be sure, but her words appeared to strike a nerve in him. “He wouldn’t talk about it.”

Megan often forgot that Jack had been alive when the world had been a very different place. (This sounds weirdly formal or stilted somehow but I can't work out why, sorry!) She only knew the desolation, but he had lived in a world bustling with life, where millions of people mingled in cities, where the towns shone bright at night, streetlights and houses lit up, their glow painting the night sky orange with light pollution. A world with a constant supply of electricity, where every house buzzed with technology and rivers of cars flowed back and forth along the now deserted roads. She could only imagine what it had been like to be cushioned by such a world. He didn’t like to talk about it, as was so often the case with anyone that remembered the time before the virus had ravaged modern civilisation. She knew very little about his family, his life before, and couldn’t remember much of her own early years. He was right though, everyone had lost family. (This is too much, info-dumpy. I'd skim in a book)

“Megan,” (full stop after Megan) Jack met her wide-eyed stare, his gaze softer than before. “You need to forget Devon. We’re grateful for what he did, of course we are, but he had it coming. Nobody can take the risks he did and survive for long.”

Anger flashed inside her, snuffing out the guilt. “He died because of us, you get that, right?”

Jack lifted a hand defensively. “We hardly knew him. Forget him. It’s not Devon you should be thinking about, it’s Emma (ugly name!). She’s in pieces back there. You’ve got to talk to her.”

The mention of Emma sent a fresh, heart-wrenching wave of grief through her. “I can’t.”

“Yes, you can.”

Megan (She) shook her head, her reply catching in her throat (I'm not sure the description of the reply should come before the actual reply). “They could be alive…” Even as she said it, she knew it was a false hope. She had heard the screams, knew the odds of surviving an ambush like that were slim and yet she had seen Devon slaughter rogue vampires without so much as breaking a sweat. He had lived to hunt them, almost as though he enjoyed it. His ruthless tactics had scared the others, but Megan had seen in him what they needed to do to survive. If anyone could get out of an ambush alive, it was Devon. (So he's obviously still alive then)

“We could go back…” She looked hopefully at Jack, but the resignation on his face dashed any hope she had left. (hopefully, hope... plus you used hope in the previous para too)

“We’ll give them a few hours,” Jack sighed, “but we need to move before nightfall.” (Not sure you can sigh a sentence. Especially not one this long)

Jack mustered a more genuine smile. He squeezed her shoulder and then unashamedly pulled her against him, the embrace unexpectedly tender (adverb adverb). “Yes, we’re going to be okay.” (Technically correct dialogue punctuation here, but not how you mean it to be read, I imagine. Comma after okay, small h, then full stop after said) He said, “Devon taught us a few things about surviving out here. We can do this, Megan. We just need to find somewhere we can fortify. Somewhere we can make safe. We’re going to be okay.”

She buried her head against his shoulder, falling (more falling) into the hug whilst swallowing the sobs before they overwhelmed her. She wanted to believe him, she really did, but with Devon, things had been different. They’d gone on the offensive, actively seeking out the vampires. Devon had been their best chance of survival. He knew what made the vampires tick, knew how to manipulate them. He had taught her all the tricks, how to lure them in by turning their hyper-alert senses against them and using fresh blood to distract them. Without him, she was at a loss, on the run once again. How could she protect the group knowing how slim their chances were. (question mark) Devon had inferred as much on several occasions. He’d tried to sidestep around the hard truth of it, but they both knew the chances of surviving out here were slim at best. Without someone as skilled as Devon, it was just a matter of time before the rogues picked them off. They would need to keep moving; stick with Devon’s plan; find somewhere safe to hole up or another pocket of resistance like the one they had fled, otherwise they were as good as dead.

Jack stood back and searched her tearstained (hyphen tear-stained) face. “We need you, Megan, don’t lose it now.”

She nodded, not ready to speak. She knew what she had to do, but that didn’t make it any easier. She was the strong one. The fighter. The optimist. It wasn’t a role she had asked for, but she had slipped in to it. But right now, she couldn’t bring herself to rally them. She’d failed Graham and Devon, and it was all on her. Jack, David, Emma, they looked to her for what to do next and she had no idea.

“Will you talk to Emma?”

“Yeah.” Megan nodded. “Give me a minute, okay.” (question mark) She let Jack leave (she let him leave? He didn't just leave?) , giving him what she hoped was a brave smile as he glanced back at her before he headed back to the others.

Emma… how could she look Emma in the eye and tell her what had happened to Graham, how the father of Emma’s unborn child had screwed up, made one simple mistake and it had cost him his life and the life of the best damn hunter Megan had ever known. (questions need question marks) It might yet cost them their lives.

I've been a bit picky, but I hope it helps. Impressions of Jack? Um. Nice older guy of the group, I guess. Like Frank from Lost or something along those lines.

Em :)

Had a bit more time to go through your crits.

Thank you for doing this, Mouse and for pulling me up on my punctuation.

Jack is exactly how he came across to you, so I'm happy with that.

Just wondering, why do you think they're American? Is it assumed because of the genre?

The story takes place in England; with English characters so I'm interested in the fact you think they're American. Can you elaborate on that? (I'll admit, 'Devon' is a typical American name - can't imagine many people in the UK call their kids Devon - or name them after any other county ;) Essex would be interesting).

I did bung a few adverbs in there prior to uploading it last night. Slap my wrists.

Your comment about the name Emma made me smile ;)

I appreciate it's long so thanks for going through it :)

I think it's the setting. Not the post-apoc thing, but the trains. I know we have trains here but I've seen so many American films where there's a scene involving a train carriage as you've described here. I'm picturing something like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/BN_caboose,_Eola_Yard,_1993.jpg

And yeah, Devon (as a name) sounds very American but he could be American so that's ok.

Megan perched on the step of a rusted old train carriage, knees drawn up as she watched the sun rise. Beneath the platform canopy behind the carriage, Jack and the others huddled around a small campfire, sheltering amongst the ruins of what must have once been a bustling railway station. – In red, beneath and behind was difficult to picture for me.

The train yard opened out to the east, where the rising sun had begun to bleed the sky red
and cast a burnt orange hue over scattered remains of the town they had fled the night before. – Nice image, I thought an “and” was better here, but for you to decide.

She watched for signs of the two men she had left behind, hoping she might see them shuffling up the tracks towards them, but as the minutes turned into hours, she began to realise they weren’t coming. – Lots of she’s, more an observation here is all.

Jack approached, hands tucked deep into the pockets of his wrinkled wax jacket. His smile fell short of meaningful, tired eyes pinched with worry.

“Are you alright?” he asked, lifting his cap and rubbing a hand across his forehead.

She dared not speak, not trusting her voice. Instead she shook her head, swiping a few stray tears off her cheek.

She tried to be brave, but there was something about Jack that spoke directly to the little girl cowering inside her. His skin weathered by the harsh outdoor life, grizzled hair splayed out beneath the grubby cap he rarely removed, he reminded her of her father, what little she could remember of him. It wasn’t so much his appearance, but the way he always seemed to be there, offering support, even when she screwed up.

“You did the right thing
,” he assured. – These to me were linked.

– Slipping into a little telling here I felt.

“You know,” she whispered, hoping to hide the
depth of her grief, “We never thanked him. He didn’t know us. He could have left us all for dead. He saved us, Jack. Every day he stayed, he saved us... and not once did we thank him.” – In red is telling here. Don’t get me wrong, telling as a tool has its place and here you handled it well, but it stands for me out and is noticeable. It is a style decision, and I have seen writers do as you have here.

Jack leant a shoulder against the carriage, brushing flakes of rust off his coat. His silence confirmed Megan’s thoughts. Jack hadn’t liked Devon, most of them hadn’t. Devon hadn’t made it easy for them to get to know him, but they couldn’t deny the fact he had saved their lives. They wouldn’t miss him though and that hurt her even more. He didn’t deserve to be forgotten.
– Repeating a little here – we’re a tough crowd!

“Listen, Megan,” Jack said, “
they need you.” He lowered his voice, glancing over his shoulder as if expecting company. “The others need someone strong. They can’t see you like this. I can’t give them what they want to hear, I’m no good at all that… talk. You need to put it behind you. Whatever you saw, whatever happened, get over it.” – Could have been shorter, for a character that doesn’t talk much?

She glared at him. How could he say that, didn’t he care at all about Graham, about Devon. “He had a family you know, once.” She said. Jack frowned, whether he knew about Devon’s family or not, she couldn’t be sure, but her words appeared to strike a nerve in him. “He wouldn’t talk about it.”
– Now this is repeating, and starting to get a little boring.

Megan often forgot that Jack had been alive when the world had been a very different place. She only knew the desolation, but he had lived in a world bustling with life, where millions of people mingled in cities, where the towns shone bright at night, streetlights and houses lit up, their glow painting the night sky orange with light pollution. A world with a constant supply of electricity, where every house buzzed with technology and rivers of cars flowed back and forth along the now deserted roads. She could only imagine what it had been like to be cushioned by such a world. He didn’t like to talk about it, as was so often the case with anyone that remembered the time before the virus had ravaged modern civilisation. She knew very little about his family, his life before, and couldn’t remember much of her own early years. He was right though, everyone had lost family.
– Nice telling, but still telling – and could have been shorter.

“Megan
.” Jack met her wide-eyed stare, his gaze softer than before. “You need to forget Devon. We’re grateful for what he did, of course we are, but he had it coming. Nobody can take the risks he did and survive for long.” – Yawn, my interest is slipping.

Anger flashed inside her, snuffing out the guilt. “He died because of us, you get that right?”
- ZZZzzzzz

Jack lifted a hand defensively. “We hardly knew him. Forget him. It’s not Devon you should be thinking about, it’s Emma. She’s in pieces back there. You’ve got to talk to her.”

Mention of Emma sent a fresh heart-wrenching wave of grief through her. “I can’t.”

“Yes you can.”

Megan shook her head, her reply catching in her throat. “They could be alive…” Even as she said it, she knew it was a false hope. She had heard the screams, knew the odds of surviving an ambush like that were slim and yet she had seen Devon slaughter rogue vampires without so much as breaking a sweat. He had lived to hunt them, almost as though he enjoyed it. His ruthless tactics had scared the others, but Megan had seen in him what they needed to do to survive. If anyone could get out of an ambush alive, it was Devon.
– This really is repeating.

“We could go back…” She looked hopefully at Jack, but the resignation on his face dashed any hope she had left.

“We’ll give them a few hours,” Jack sighed, “but we need to move before nightfall.”

Jack mustered a more genuine smile. He squeezed her shoulder and then unashamedly pulled her against him, the embrace unexpectedly tender. “Yes, we’re going to be okay
,he said, “Devon taught us a few things about surviving out here. We can do this, Megan. We just need to find somewhere we can fortify. Somewhere we can make safe. We’re going to be okay.”

She buried her head against his shoulder, falling into the hug whilst swallowing the sobs before they overwhelmed her. She wanted to believe him, she really did, but with Devon, things had been different. They’d gone on the offensive, actively seeking out the vampires. Devon had been their best chance of survival. He knew what made the vampires tick, knew how to manipulate them. He had taught her all the tricks, how to lure them in by turning their hyper-alert senses against them and using fresh blood to distract them. Without him, she was at a loss, on the run once again. How could she protect the group knowing how slim their chances were. Devon had inferred as much on several occasions. He’d tried to sidestep around the hard truth of it, but they both knew the chances of surviving out here were slim at best. Without someone as skilled as Devon, it was just a matter of time before the rogues picked them off. They would need to keep moving; stick with Devon’s plan; find somewhere safe to hole up or another pocket of resistance like the one they had fled, otherwise they were as good as dead.
– Bad telling this time, repeating and very long - zzzZZZZ

Jack stood back and searched her tear stained face. “We need you Megan, don’t lose it now.”
– Crikey, even I want her to move on now.

She nodded, not ready to speak. She knew what she had to do, but that didn’t make it any easier. She was the strong one. The fighter. The optimist. It wasn’t a role she had asked for, but she had slipped in to. But right now, she couldn’t bring herself to rally them. She’d failed Graham and Devon, and it was all on her. Jack, David, Emma, they looked to her for what to do next and she had no idea.
ZZZzzzzz

“Will you talk to Emma?”

“Yeah.” Megan nodded. “Give me a minute, okay.” She let Jack leave, giving him what she hoped was a brave smile as he glanced back at her before he headed back to the others.

Emma… how could she look Emma in the eye and tell her what had happened to Graham, how the father of Emma’s unborn child had screwed up, made one simple mistake and it had cost him his life and the life of the best damn hunter Megan had ever known. It might yet cost them their lives.

Forgive my flippant style, I’m just trying to make a point. One word for you - Pace - and just one word. You used lots of words here and mostly by repeating images. You over did the scene, the plot never moved forward and you killed off the pace, it got slow and boring. A pity, because if you’d kept the pace up and moved on with the plot it had everything it needed to be a blinder of a scene. Good characters, good dialogue (when not repeating), nice images and a plot with promise – the section lost its sparkle, which it had loads of.

Very good technical English, just one or two editing errors. The attention to detail needed in writing is very high, but your well on your way. I see Mouse found more than me, and I thought I was so clever. I still have these problems but I have a good beta; an ex-teacher so I get told off all the time, which oddly, I enjoy!

A very good second post, I look forward to seeing more – and of course these are just my thoughts, I may not be right. My legal disclaimer, just in case!

This reads as quite good to me, especially for a first draft. I'm minded to nit-pick rather than anything else.

The main trouble with this piece is that a lot of context has been defined in earlier chapters, so it's hard to get an idea of how these tensions have developed, and therefore how well you're using them. This is especially the case because Megan is doing little other than be consoled.

You asked about Jack, but he already appears to have determined to follow her leadership, and we see precious little of her thoughts on him before this.

There are a couple of infodumps - not too long, which is fine - but again, without context of the earlier chapters, difficult to know whether they are needed or not.

Overall, though, a pretty good standard of writing IMO.

Hehe, Bowler, I like the flippant style; thankfully I can giggle at my own daftness.

The telling is something I struggle with (as all new writers do) and I can see i'm getting bogged down by repeating to the point it becomes dull. Yawn. Pace. I shall scribble it on a post-it and slap it to my forehead.

From this scene I wanted to achieve:

Character intro - Jack. Grizzled older guy. Father figure. Doesn't like Devon.
Megan's reaction to abandoning the two men - How she steps back into the leadership role.
Expanding on Devon's relationship with the group ie Meg's the only one that really bonded with him; the others are wary of him but followed his lead. They later try and kill him ;) .

The name Devon came about when I first began writing this some five years ago (I've started it countless times but have only recently finished a first draft that I feel works) - Five years ago it was skewed to American, but then I realised I don't stand a chance of writing a story set in America that sounds convincing. So it moved continents and it's now back on home soil. I can't shake the Americanised feel though, so I'm intrigued how you noticed that.

However, even in England, Devon refused to have his name changed. Anything else just didn't work. So I'm stuck with it. I figure his parents could have been American *shrugs*

This was the train I used for 'inspiration': http://www.carriage-exchange.org.uk/lmsckcc.jpg So not far off the one you pictured. (Edit: Just looked again at your link and they're poles apart - lol - but hey, it's a rusty train, that's the important bit).

Thank you for the kind comments, I' Brian. That's very encouraging.

The name Devon came about when I first began writing this some five years ago (I've started it countless times but have only recently finished a first draft that I feel works) - Five years ago it was skewed to American, but then I realised I don't stand a chance of writing a story set in America that sounds convincing. So it moved continents and it's now back on home soil. I can't shake the Americanised feel though, so I'm intrigued how you noticed that.

I'm just that good. ;)

However, even in England, Devon refused to have his name changed. Anything else just didn't work. So I'm stuck with it. I figure his parents could have been American *shrugs*

Yeah, no, don't change it. I have an English character with a surname as a first name and one of my characters thought it was his surname until he corrected her. She said 'Sounds American' and he just grunted in response and that was that.

This was the train I used for 'inspiration': http://www.carriage-exchange.org.uk/lmsckcc.jpg So not far off the one you pictured. (Edit: Just looked again at your link and they're poles apart - lol - but hey, it's a rusty train, that's the important bit).

Much prettier.

Good luck. I'm a picky one, by the way, so take what's useful and ignore the rest. :)
~~~

Megan perched on the step of a rusted old train carriage, knees drawn up as she watched the sun rise. Beneath the platform canopy behind the carriage, Jack and the others huddled around a small campfire, sheltering amongst the ruins of what must have once been a bustling railway station.can she see them, then? Or does she just know this? The step implies she is at the front, and then it talks about behind?

The train yard opened out to the east, where the rising sun had begun to bleed the sky red, casting a burnt orange hue over the? scattered remains of the town they had fled the night before.It's nice description. It's coming up to my tolerance level, though.

She watched for signs of the two men shethey? or had it only been her in the town? had left behind, hoping she might see them shuffling up the tracks towards them, but as the minutes turned into hours, she began to realise they weren’t coming.

The murmurs of the group drifted to her on the breeze, an occasional sob rising above the whispers. Megan’s chest tightened, anxiety and guilt leeching outward. She knew what they were discussing. They had left Graham and Devonwhy not name them above? behind and it was her fault. It had been the right thing to do, but that didn’t stop it from feeling so wrong. Her gut told her she should have stayed, should have tried something. Anything. But she ran. do we already know this from a previous scene, or is this new info for the reader?She had heard Devon’s howl of pain and still she had fled. How could she live with that?

Jack approached, hands tucked deep into the pockets of his wrinkled wax jacket. His smile fell short of meaningfulnice, tired eyes pinched with worry.

“You did the right thing.” He assured.A tough one this one. He assured probably isn't entirely a dialogue tag, but it's closer to one than an action tag, so I'd go thing," he assured.

Jack leant a shoulder against the carriage, brushing flakes of rust off his coat. His silence confirmed Megan’s thoughts. Jack hadn’t liked Devon, most of them hadn’t. Devon hadn’t made it easy for them to get to know him, but they couldn’t deny the fact he had saved their lives. They wouldn’t miss him though and that hurt her even more. He didn’t deserve to be forgotten. I still wonder how much of this we already know about Devon? It is, also, quite a tell-y passage.

“Listen, Megan,” Jack said,. “They need you.” He lowered his voice, glancing over his shoulder as if expecting company. “The others need someone strong. They can’t see you like this. I can’t give them what they want to hear, I’m no good at all that… talk. You need to put it behind you. Whatever you saw, whatever happened, get over it.”

She glared at him. How could he say that, didn’t he care at all about Graham, about Devon.? “He had a family you know, once.” She said.

Everyone can roll their eyes, here I go again... dialogue punctuation isn't quite right. (There's stuff in the toolbox about four pages from the end).

Anything that ends in a dialogue tag ie a he said, asked etc, has a comma inside the speech marks and a full stop after the tag ie the sentence doesn't end until the dialogue descriptor is given. (An ! and ? act as a comma.)

So: "He had a family," she said.

But if you use an action tag ie a she stood to go, then you use the fullstop inside the " (and here an ! or ? act as a full stop.)

So. "He had a family." She stood to go.

Does that make sense?

Jack frowned, whether he knew about Devon’s family or not, she couldn’t be sure, but her words appeared to strike a nerve in him. “He wouldn’t talk about it.”

Megan often forgot that Jack had been alive when the world had been a very different place. She only knew the desolation, but he had lived in a world bustling with life, where millions of people mingled in cities, where the towns shone bright at night, streetlights and houses lit up, their glow painting the night sky orange with light pollution. A world with a constant supply of electricity, where every house buzzed with technology and rivers of cars flowed back and forth along the now deserted roads. She could only imagine what it had been like to be cushioned by such a world. He didn’t like to talk about it, as was so often the case with anyone that remembered the time before the virus had ravaged modern civilisation. She knew very little about his family, his life before, and couldn’t remember much of her own early years. He was right though, everyone had lost family. For me, this is all a little bit too much telling.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm out of time, but I hope this helped.

So: "He had a family," she said.

But if you use an action tag ie a she stood to go, then you use the fullstop inside the " (and here an ! or ? act as a full stop.)

So. "He had a family." She stood to go.

Does that make sense?

Perfectly. :) Thank you. It all helps.

Just going back through that scene on my laptop now with your comments running parallel. You guys make those mistakes seem so obvious. Why couldn't I see it when writing it? :)

Now, if you all could just crit my current WIP - it's only 75k :D

('Crit my current WIP' - There's a gameshow in there somewhere / or perhaps an erotica novel ;) )

Once again, I humbly thank you all for your time and expertise.

Looks pretty good to me. I have no comments except to concur with what others have said.
And yes, I too immediately assumed it was an American setting.

It's very well-written. It's clear and the world you create is interesting, but it has one major flaw IMO.

You are at pains to point out that your main character was born in this world, not the "pre" one. This is not, to her, a post apocalyptic hell, this is home.

So why isn't she tougher, particularly as she is the leader here? Why doesn't she find having people eaten by the vamps as routine? You hint at the reason, she apparently found one of them interesting for his knowledge of the "pre" world, but you don't actually say that, and you seem to have no problem saying most things directly, which I like btw.

Other than that I find it an excellent piece of work.

Thanks JoanDrake; I've toughened her up in the rewrite as a couple of people have commented on her over-the-top blubbering, but she is human and leaving two friends to die will hurt. She's tough, but she's not heartless. I'm trying to get that balance right on the rewrites at the moment, so your comments are spot on.

Glad you liked it though. :)

My word, I wish my first drafts were this sharp!

A few bits that caught my eye:

The murmurs of the group drifted to her on the breeze, an occasional sob rising above the whispers. Megan’s chest tightened, anxiety and guilt leeching outward. She knew what they were discussing. They had left Graham and Devon behind and it was her fault. It had been the right thing to do, but that didn’t stop it from feeling so wrong. Her gut told her she should have stayed, should have tried something. Anything. But she ran. She had heard Devon’s howl of pain and still she had fled. How could she live with that? <can we cut this? We're about to find this out anyway.

“You did the right thing.” He assured.

Jack leant a shoulder against the carriage, brushing flakes of rust off his coat. His silence confirmed Megan’s thoughts. Jack hadn’t liked Devon, most of them hadn’t. Devon hadn’t made it easy for them to get to know him, but they couldn’t deny the fact he had saved their lives. They wouldn’t miss him though and that hurt her even more. He didn’t deserve to be forgotten. <more telling, I don't think we need this much either.

“Listen, Megan,” Jack said, “They need you.” He lowered his voice, glancing over his shoulder as if expecting company. “The others need someone strong. They can’t see you like this. I can’t give them what they want to hear, I’m no good at all that… talk. You need to put it behind you. Whatever you saw, whatever happened, get over it.”

<just to illustrate my general observations, here, I think this five-word piece of dialogue says more about Jack's character than the entire following paragraph.

Megan often forgot that Jack had been alive when the world had been a very different place. She only knew the desolation, but he had lived in a world bustling with life, where millions of people mingled in cities, where the towns shone bright at night, streetlights and houses lit up, their glow painting the night sky orange with light pollution. A world with a constant supply of electricity, where every house buzzed with technology and rivers of cars flowed back and forth along the now deserted roads. She could only imagine what it had been like to be cushioned by such a world. He didn’t like to talk about it, as was so often the case with anyone that remembered the time before the virus had ravaged modern civilisation. She knew very little about his family, his life before, and couldn’t remember much of her own early years. He was right though, everyone had lost family. <this seems a bit full-on for a mid-conversation reflection. Can we not have it shortened, or put elsewhere?

“Megan,” Jack met her wide-eyed stare, his gaze softer than before. “You need to forget Devon. We’re grateful for what he did, of course we are, but he had it coming. Nobody can take the risks he did and survive for long.”

“Yes you can.”

Megan shook her head, her reply catching in her throat. “They could be alive…” Even as she said it, she knew it was a false hope. She had heard the screams, knew the odds of surviving an ambush like that were slim and yet she had seen Devon slaughter rogue vampires without so much as breaking a sweat. He had lived to hunt them, almost as though he enjoyed it. His ruthless tactics had scared the others, but Megan had seen in him what they needed to do to survive. If anyone could get out of an ambush alive, it was Devon. <Again, you only really need this sentence at the end, here.

Jack mustered a more genuine smile. He squeezed her shoulder and then unashamedly pulled her against him, the embrace unexpectedly tender. “Yes, we’re going to be okay.” He said, “Devon taught us a few things about surviving out here. We can do this, Megan. We just need to find somewhere we can fortify. Somewhere we can make safe. We’re going to be okay.”

She buried her head against his shoulder, falling into the hug whilst swallowing the sobs before they overwhelmed her. She wanted to believe him, she really did, but with Devon, things had been different. They’d gone on the offensive, actively seeking out the vampires. Devon had been their best chance of survival. He knew what made the vampires tick, knew how to manipulate them. He had taught her all the tricks, how to lure them in by turning their hyper-alert senses against them and using fresh blood to distract them. Without him, she was at a loss, on the run once again. How could she protect the group knowing how slim their chances were. Devon had inferred as much on several occasions. He’d tried to sidestep around the hard truth of it, but they both knew the chances of surviving out here were slim at best. Without someone as skilled as Devon, it was just a matter of time before the rogues picked them off. They would need to keep moving; stick with Devon’s plan; find somewhere safe to hole up or another pocket of resistance like the one they had fled, otherwise they were as good as dead. <think we can condense this a great deal as well.

She nodded, not ready to speak. She knew what she had to do, but that didn’t make it any easier. She was the strong one. The fighter. The optimist. It wasn’t a role she had asked for, but she had slipped in to. But right now, she couldn’t bring herself to rally them. She’d failed Graham and Devon, and it was all on her. Jack, David, Emma, they looked to her for what to do next and she had no idea. <more intrusive telling

“Will you talk to Emma?”

Okay, so, the prose is good. The characters seem sound, from what I can glean from this brief extract. But there is far too much unnecessary filling in of back story getting in the way. Classic show vs tell stuff, really.

I look forward to future revisions :)

Sorry, late to the (end of the world) party. Others have got the punctuation , so no need to mention that.

Two things: if it's not the opening, there's a bit too much infodumping e.g.

... reads as something the reader hasn't seen before.

Secondly, on character, Jack is so keen to encourage her to appear strong, the leader, then does a tender hug, which would suggest to the others that she's the one needing the comforting.

Otherwise, it's a good read, and I can teel you're a pretty confident writer (in a good way!)

Hi Beef, Alchemist, thanks for the replies.

Reading your edits above, Beef, I spent a lot of time weeding out the fluff last night (over 2 hrs!) and reworking it. Much of what you've cut above has now gone, so it's nice to see that I'm learning from the criticism and agreeing with you on where it needs to lose weight. I find it difficult to see the wood for the trees when I go over my own work again; I guess that's what editors are good at.

My first drafts are always too wordy. I get so drawn into the scene that it can be hard to let go. Pace. I must get my head around my pacing issues.

I'm keeping the 'hug' in, although I think I've called it something more awkward and less soppy in the rewrite. Hug isn't a particularly masculine word. I do like the relationship between the two characters and need to maintain some warmth between them. In fact, in the rewrite, there's a tad more anger between them than in the scene you've just read; so the hug feels right when it does come (although you guys might tell me otherwise when I post the rewrite).

"We all had families once."

I love that line. I remember when writing it; it was a 'Bham' moment. He says a great deal with just five words.

As for confident? Not so much. I've been writing for many years (perhaps that's what you're picking up on) but it's always been for my eyes only. It's pretty daunting releasing it into the world. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm enjoying it. If people like it, it's a bonus.

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back