Maps

Hex

Write, monkey, write
Hi there -- I don't suppose anyone knows what those maps are called that are sort of like pictures of buildings etc (argh! I can't even explain what I mean!).

So instead of everything being flat and seen from above, like our maps, these show the shapes of the buildings when seen sort of from the side/ above?

Funny rodent ;p

Something a bit like this:

1647-map-section.jpg

I would just call it a map... :)

I'm not sure there IS a specific word for that type of map... though I have little doubt that someone'll prove me wrong!

That is a map. Simply that we're more used to the modern abstract ones. In older times, abstract wasn't so easy to understand, hence why they were drawn to look more familiar, and understandable. IIRC.

There aren't particular types of map? I'm sure I read somewhere that maps like that had a particular name.

It was a novel, though, so maybe the author was making them up :s

yeah I would just say map. is it really important to specify what kind of map it is? Knowing me I'd get well confused if there was complicated cartographical terms thrown in...just a plain map, I can understand.

Perhaps 'relief maps'? As opposed to 'contour maps'? Though that's a bit formal, and modern; when they were being drawn like that, I doubt if the cartographers considered them as anything but a convenient way to indicate landmarks.

Ah-ha! Since I'm writing The Mapmaker's Daughter I can answer this one!

They're called -- wait for it -- maps...

OK, nowadays they'd be called something like "illustrated map" or "pictorial map" if you're a collector or whatnot, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictorial_maps but the people who drew them really did just call them maps.

I was thinking about creating more of a visual map recently, drawing actual buildings and areas, but didn't know if it would be seen more as artwork than map, but this has cleared that up for me. Thanks.

Very much what I was looking for. Thank you.

It wasn't the term in the book though. Gah. Now it's going to annoy me.

Are you sure it was this kind of illustrated map in the book, Hex? Naval "maps" had different names, from a simple list of ports with directions etc called a periplus, through to medieval portolan charts. For estates and the like, though, there were cadastral maps, showing land ownership with boundaries and measurements, which might well have showed some buildings if they were important to the estate eg mills, granges etc.

Could be axonometric too depending on degree of angle. I think axonometric is 45 degrees. Isometric is 30 degrees. I find axonometric easier to draw if your planning on drawing your own map :)

Funny rodent ;p

Something a bit like this:

1647-map-section.jpg

It's called an isometric map.

If it depicts the exterior surface of structures or land removed to show what's inside (interior rooms, caverns, whatever) it's called a cutaway drawing.

Could be axonometric too depending on degree of angle. I think axonometric is 45 degrees. Isometric is 30 degrees. I find axonometric easier to draw if your planning on drawing your own map :)

Er axonometric projection refers to any projection where one or more axis is rotated relative to the plain of projection. Isometric is one of the three main types of axonometric projection (the other two being dimetric and trimetric).

An isometric projection is one where the three coordinate axis are at equal angle to each other; 120 degrees.