Tree cat wars is out now at Baen

Timba

I have no further info. I just bought it so must go now and read it:)

Gulp! Parson starts counting his shekels to see if he can afford this fight. :)

'fraid my shekels dictate that I wait the for paperback to come out, or at least for the ebook to come down to the paperback price.

'fraid my shekels dictate that I wait the for paperback to come out, or at least for the ebook to come down to the paperback price.

I think it more likely that the paperbacks will come up in price making the savings marginal or nonexistent. Don't get me started on the pricing of e-books.:eek:

Well generally the ebook matches the hardback price (to protect its sales) until the paperback comes out when it falls to roughly the same as the papaerback. This is a pretty common strategy with ebooks; I frequently see very high ebook prices on the likes of Amazon that then fall when the paperback comes out.

For example I don't think The Shadow of Freedom is due out in paperback until next March and I think you'll see the ebook price fall then. Though they do seem to have gone a bit wonky on that front with A Rising Thunder.

Actually the ebook price for "Tree Cat Wars" is less than the hard cover. Not the $6 that we all loved from Baen, but this one is priced at 7.99 at Amazon. (The Parson reckoned that he had sufficient shekels and bought it. Now I have to finish reading the book I'm to recommend (or not) to the historical commission of my denomination on the Canons of Dordt. Not exactly light reading.:rolleyes: Before I start this. I also bought the next two books of Ell Donsaii saga. Pretty much the same kind of young teens book as Tree Cat Wars.)

Actually the ebook price for "Tree Cat Wars" is less than the hard cover. Not the $6 that we all loved from Baen, but this one is priced at 7.99 at Amazon. (The Parson reckoned that he had sufficient shekels and bought it. Now I have to finish reading the book I'm to recommend (or not) to the historical commission of my denomination on the Canons of Dordt. Not exactly light reading.:rolleyes: Before I start this. I also bought the next two books of Ell Donsaii saga. Pretty much the same kind of young teens book as Tree Cat Wars.)

That is what I get for not doing due diligence. I paid $9.99 for the e-book at Baen. Usually I make a point of checking Amazon and B&N to make sure I am getting the low price but I got carried away:confused: this time.

I really enjoyed the Treecat Wars for all the usual reasons. :)

Have not heard of the Ell Donsaii saga, can you provide a thumbnail description of the series?

Once upon a time Baen were always as cheap or cheaper than any of their vendors (usually cheaper I used to find). That no longer appears to be the case, so I too must make a point of shopping around for Baen books. Grrrrr.

Once upon a time Baen were always as cheap or cheaper than any of their vendors (usually cheaper I used to find). That no longer appears to be the case, so I too must make a point of shopping around for Baen books. Grrrrr.

Exactly, I think I have to adjust my habits that appear to have carried over from the days of the $6.00 book.

Have not heard of the Ell Donsaii saga, can you provide a thumbnail description of the series?

Hm. This is not something I do particularly well, but I will try. At this point this is an 8 book series. It starts with "Quicker," and then goes to "Smarter," "Lieutenant," "Rocket," etc. It is a series by Lawrence Dahners. The starting premise is that Ell Donsaii is the progeny of a pair of gifted athletes, who inherits some of their gifts, but also has a gene mutation that author describes this way:

The child also had a new mutation affecting the myelin sheaths surrounding her nerves. This mutation produced nerve transmission speeds that were nearly double those of normal neurons. Nerve impulse transmissions being faster, she had much quicker reflexes. Yet the new myelin sheath was also thinner, allowing more axons, and therefore more neurons, to be packed into the same sized skull. These two factors resulted in a brain which had more neurons, though it wasn’t larger and a more rapid processing speed, akin to a computer with a smaller scale CPU architecture that enables faster processor speeds.

Dahners, Laurence (2011-09-21). Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story) (p. 3). . Kindle Edition.

The eight books have taken her adventures from a teenager to a young woman in her early 20's. The science in them as far as I can tell is believable, and her relationships are quite realistic. I like them quite well (should be obvious since I own all 8). The books are somewhat dependent on each other, although the later ones are more independent of the earlier ones than one might imagine. Ell is a likable heroine who has struggles much like what I would imagine most young girls do. There is occasional violence, mostly mild, and the language and sexual behavior of Ell is of the kind I would like to have seen my daughter emulate.

>>For the economy minded; I believe the first sells for $.99 and all of the rest for about 3.99 on the Kindle. I would give the series about 4 stars and I don't give out many 5 star ratings. [Ender's Game, Basilisk Station, Dune, Field of Dishonor, pretty much calls the list.]

Hope this helps.

Hm. This is not something I do particularly well, but I will try. At this point this is an 8 book series. It starts with "Quicker," and then goes to "Smarter," "Lieutenant," "Rocket," etc. It is a series by Lawrence Dahners. The starting premise is that Ell Donsaii is the progeny of a pair of gifted athletes, who inherits some of their gifts, but also has a gene mutation that author describes this way:

The child also had a new mutation affecting the myelin sheaths surrounding her nerves. This mutation produced nerve transmission speeds that were nearly double those of normal neurons. Nerve impulse transmissions being faster, she had much quicker reflexes. Yet the new myelin sheath was also thinner, allowing more axons, and therefore more neurons, to be packed into the same sized skull. These two factors resulted in a brain which had more neurons, though it wasn’t larger and a more rapid processing speed, akin to a computer with a smaller scale CPU architecture that enables faster processor speeds.

Dahners, Laurence (2011-09-21). Quicker (an Ell Donsaii story) (p. 3). . Kindle Edition.

The eight books have taken her adventures from a teenager to a young woman in her early 20's. The science in them as far as I can tell is believable, and her relationships are quite realistic. I like them quite well (should be obvious since I own all 8). The books are somewhat dependent on each other, although the later ones are more independent of the earlier ones than one might imagine. Ell is a likable heroine who has struggles much like what I would imagine most young girls do. There is occasional violence, mostly mild, and the language and sexual behavior of Ell is of the kind I would like to have seen my daughter emulate.

>>For the economy minded; I believe the first sells for $.99 and all of the rest for about 3.99 on the Kindle. I would give the series about 4 stars and I don't give out many 5 star ratings. [Ender's Game, Basilisk Station, Dune, Field of Dishonor, pretty much calls the list.]

Hope this helps.

Thank you Parson. It intrigues me so I suppose I better see if the library has them and if not I will just have to pry the old wallet open again.:eek:

You're Welcome. I don't think that this series took off until the price went very low on Amazon, in fact, I think that the first book was a one point free. Or maybe I'm confused. I'm a member of Amazon Prime so I get to borrow one of several hundred books free each month. I know that I got Faster in that way. The cover art back was just plain AWFUL. There has been a revamp lately on the new ones and I believe on Quicker, some better but still pretty poor.