The State of the Art by Iain M Banks

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
The State of the Art by Iain M Banks (2/5 stars)

I was rather disappointed by this book. I think that the short story wasn’t really Banks’ strongest format (sad that I have to keep remembering to use the past tense). I found the short stories either so cryptic I didn’t understand them or completely pointless (nothing happens with no interesting ideas or characters). The only redeeming one was the title story The State of the Art, but that was really a novella and even then was not up to what I expect from Banks. He exceled in creating deep complex worlds and plots and I think the short story simply didn’t play to his strengths.

I almost didn't post this as I has so little to say about it! But then maybe that alone says something!

It's interesting that you make the point about the stories being pointless or nothing happens...I think that maybe Iain was having a laugh at someone's expense with his SF novels that seem to end up back where they started - the best example being The Algebraist.

As for SoTA, my favourite story is 'Descendant'.

Still, he (and the Culture) will be much missed in the future

Yes the Descendant wasn't bad and probably the best structured short story; a neat idea packaged up in a neat wrapper (complete with typical Banksie play on words in the title). However, I'll be honest, I had a pretty good idea how it was going to pan out by the time I was a third through it.

I probably should have made the point that I love Banks' books and found this sadly very atypical.

And yes he will be missed. I keep catching myself posting about him in the present tense.