Story Opener - indecision - Help! 1000w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Geoff

It’s many months since I’ve really looked at the opening of this novel, and in the interim I’ve written the following volume and made a start at roughing out a Book IV.
Looking at this yesterday I had the feeling that it was rather awful, and even more clunky than some of the newbie openings I’ve been criticising of late. It has some history, in that I took the first draft of Chapter 1 to my local writers’ group, they delivered their verdict, and I revised the text.

I have two ideas on how to start fixing it – one is to extend the present opener with a kind of meta-opening, where Starsin thinks that arriving with his companions at the city is a bit like the opening of a story, and reflects on what happened to them in the previous chapters, and if they’re less likely to be murdered within the walls.:)
The other idea is to junk the opening scene and start with the second scene which is flagged ¾ of the way through the text below.

*************************************************​
Calomel II - City
Chapter 1

Starsin, the lead rider, scowled at the dark man beside him, then turned in his saddle to call out to the red-haired woman behind. "What's going on here? That line of people?"

"I can't really see, Star. I presume they're checking the people entering the city."

"Checking? I don't like this." As a male, and the highest-ranked member of the party, Starsin supposed that he should take responsibility for getting them into the city unchallenged. Ahead of him a line of people and carts waited to get through the brick arch on the far side of the moat bridge. The city wall appeared to be of solid stone, at least forty feet high, and outside it flowed a wide moat, or canal. The road crossed the moat by a permanent bridge of wood. Twin arches spanned the road between squat stone towers; part of Chazu's outer defensive wall. There were three women in Starsin’s party. All three women wore loose jackets and trews that hid their figures. Of the the first two one was fair the other dark; the third following behind had short reddish hair. The animals they rode had six legs.

The woman with short red hair kneed her animal to close up with him. "Shut up, Star. It's just routine. You think they're personally looking for you?"

Falcon, also known as Starsin, bore Lannaira's well-aimed sarcasm. Ahead, voices shouted, urging the travellers forward. Carts creaked into motion. Some way inside the city, three slim towers with shafts of a startling turquoise blue soared into the sky. A large object, a kind of kite, waved above the top of each.

The hooves of their six-legged sho'ats drummed on the planks of the bridge. Starsin passed a remark on the scale of the defences, but black-haired Rurnik beside him did not reply. The great timber gates stood open, and to judge by the grit and rubbish piled against them they were closed but rarely. The arch vault was in shadow. Two militiamen poked at the contents of carts and flipped open packs, accompanied by a saffron-robed religious official who held a disc bound with metal. Starsin eyed it with unease. They were clearly checking for any objects that emitted dangerous rays, and he hoped none of his party had picked up anything that would make the disc glow.

Lannaira, a tall, thin woman, urged her sho'at mount forwards. She touched his arm and pointed to herself, indicating that she would do the talking. The couple ahead of them were saying something about a chariot race.

A militiaman's mailed arm barred their way. "What's your business here?"
"We've come to watch the chariot races."
The militiaman grunted. "Where you from?"
"The drylands."

"Alright, move it." He waved them on.

Starsin looked up. Over his head was a drop-gate suspended high above the roadway, its timbers grey and rotted with age. On the inner side of the gate passage was a guardroom, from which soldiers in the brightly coloured Calomel uniform, of glass, silk braid and cane strips, watched the travellers as they passed.
"What was that holdup about?" said Shell, the blonde woman.

"They're more attentive than usual," said Lannaira. "Maybe the Virnals are worried about unrest."

"Starsin looked worried," said Rurnik with a sneer.

Starsin ignored him, annoyed. It was true; as a fugitive he did not welcome scrutiny.
The dark-haired woman said nothing.

They rode on, into the sunlight and noise of a city street.

"How will we contact the Sharyns?" Starsin asked Lannaira. "Are we going now?"
Lannaira shook her head "We need to be careful."

Starsin had not expected to see open spaces within the city, where plots of vegetable crops adjoined low buildings, and where water glinted in ditches. Further off, there were ornately planted parks and gardens, and beyond lay shining domed roofs of palaces or temples.

Lannaira's attention was caught by a column of smoke drifting across an open plot, and she urged her sho'at towards it. The others were obliged to follow. At a line of flags on cord which barred their way, she stopped, dismounted and ducked under it. Starsin felt a sharp, unhealthy odour tickle his nose.

"What, it's one of those things? And inside the city?"

*****************************​
(The text runs straight on here, but the following is filed as a different scene (scene 00001) the opening scene above being scene 00002. (trivial but possibly revealing detail) I’m wondering if this is a better or more hooky place to start the story.)
***********************​

The depression was three feet across, crusted and black, and in the middle hot cinders glowed and smoked. Down a crack yellow heat sparkled. There was a mixed smell of burnt organics and hot mineral. Lannaira fumbled in her jacket and pulled out a crumpled paper. She ran her finger down the text, then, pointing at the hole, began to read from the paper. The words made no sense to her companions.

Starsin tried to guess her motives. Saying a prayer? Quoting some ancient poem? No, she must be trying to discover something about the burning-pit. Their three companions still looked bemused. Ussha, the deaf-mute girl, was waving away the fumes with one sun-browned hand, her tanned face screwed up in an exaggerated expression of disgust.

Starsin heard someone shouting behind him. He turned. A man with a staff and badge had crossed the strung line of flags. He was robed, face twisted in determination, and strode forward in an officious manner. "What's the problem, my man?" Starsin asked him.

"What was that woman doing? Is she creating a burning-pit by sorcery?" The man sounded angry, his face flushing. (etc).

First section:

Starsin, the lead rider, scowled at the dark man beside him, then turned in his saddle to call out to the red-haired woman behind.
This is a really clumsy opening. You mention other figures without giving us names, yet later on you name them. If Starsin knows these people, give them their names.

Also determine what you're trying to tell us straight away. At the moment he is riding and scowling. The dialogue that follows doesn't up the stakes much to justify it.

You get to the meat of the opening by Starsin worrying about getting into the city unchallenged.

However, this looks like mediaeval fantasy - in which case it's a given there will be guards at the gates.

You then destroy any sense of tension by giving very detailed descriptions of the castle and people there. I know it's really hard to try and balance description and story, but you've dropped out of the latter for the former here, in my opinion.

Falcon, also known as Starsin, bore Lannaira's well-aimed sarcasm
This is also clumsy, IMO - you've not named anyone else so far, and then you suddenly reveal the main character here has two names, and then begin to name the other people.

The hooves of their six-legged ...
I like this paragraph - you make a clear effort to move the story forward and give us corresponding descriptions.

However, the piece suffers terribly - in my opinion - from people talking tension about something that doesn't seem very tense. It's a busy city, there are guards - so? Why is this a worry? You haven't told us yet! (Oh, wait - you do later - he's a fugitive - but they get through without being challenged anyway).

I think the main problem here is that you're not close to your character experience as yet in this opening. The result is that you end up being distant, objective, trying to describe things, rather than focus on developing your characters and story.And any possible tension you diffuse by putting in dialogue that doesn't really tell us anything, other than the potential to be searched at the gates is a source of tension.

Try and get into Starsin more - what does he want? How does he intend to get it? What's stopping him? Make us feel more like we're in this character, and you'll bring this opening alive.

Second section:

Better, more immediate and more with the character. Try and avoid repeating his name too much, though - once actions are attributed to him, we know it's him. :)

Calomel II - City
Chapter 1

Starsin, the lead rider, scowled at the dark man beside him, then turned in his saddle to call out to the red-haired woman behind. "What's going on here? That line of people?" (‘That line of people?’ reads a little strange to me, perhaps ‘Why are all these people lining up?’)

"I can't really see, Star. I presume they're checking (what are they checking them for? Searching would make a little more sense to me) the people entering the city."

"Checking? I don't like this." As a male, (I’m guessing this is one of the phrases your feminist critiques doesn’t like?) and the highest-ranked member of the party, Starsin supposed that (remove ‘that’) he should take (shoulder) responsibility for getting them into the city unchallenged. Ahead of him a line of people (you’ve said line of people a few times try rows of people) and carts waited to get through the brick arch on the far side of the moat bridge. The city wall appeared (appeared or just is) to be of solid stone, at least forty feet high, and outside it (remove ‘it’) flowed a wide moat, or canal (remove ‘or canal’ - actually put in body of water as you use the word moat in the next line). The road crossed the moat by a permanent bridge of wood. (wood doesn’t convey image of permanency, stone would be better) Twin arches spanned the road between squat stone towers (the twin arches doesn’t quite seem right, maybe ‘A stone arch spanned the entrance road adjoining two squat towers’); part of Chazu's outer defensive wall. There were three women in Starsin’s party. All three women wore loose jackets and trews that hid (obscured stronger than hid) their figures. Of the the (remove the) first two one was fair the other dark; the third following behind had short (cropped) reddish hair. The animals they rode had six legs. (More description for animals as I’m left wondering)

The woman with short red hair kneed her animal to close up (remove ‘up’ put in ‘the gap’) with him. "Shut up, Star. It's just routine. You think they're personally looking for you?"

Falcon, also known as Starsin, bore Lannaira's well-aimed sarcasm. (I think the double naming is a little confusing perhaps not needed in the first chapter) Ahead, voices shouted, urging the travellers (to shuffle) forward. Carts creaked into motion. Some way inside the city, three slim towers with shafts of a startling turquoise blue soared into the sky. A large object, a kind of kite, waved above the top of each.

The hooves of their six-legged sho'ats drummed on the planks of the bridge. Starsin passed a remark on the scale of the defences, but black-haired Rurnik beside him did not reply (kept his silence). The great timber gates stood open, and to judge by the grit and rubbish piled against them they were rarely closed (remove ‘but rarely’). The arch vault was in shadow (vaults like fan vaulting is a roof, are they inside a building now?). Two militiamen poked at the contents of carts and flipped open packs, accompanied by a saffron-robed religious official who held a disc bound with metal. Starsin eyed it with unease. They were clearly (remove clearly) checking for any objects that emitted dangerous rays, and he hoped none of his party had picked up anything that would make the disc glow.

Lannaira, a tall, thin woman, urged her sho'at mount (remove mount) forwards. She touched his arm and pointed to herself, indicating that (remove that) she would do the talking. The couple ahead of them were saying something about a chariot race.

A militiaman's mailed arm barred their way. "What's your business here?"
"We've come to watch the chariot races."
The militiaman grunted. "Where (are) you from?"
"The drylands."

"Alright, move it." He waved them on.

Starsin looked up. Over his head was a drop-gate (portcullis?) suspended high above the roadway, its timbers grey and rotted with age. On the inner side of the gate passage (remove passage) was a guardroom, from which soldiers in the (remove the) brightly coloured Calomel uniform, of glass, silk braid and cane strips, watched the travellers as they passed.
"What was that holdup about?" said Shell, the blonde woman.

"They're more attentive than usual," said Lannaira. "Maybe the Virnals are worried about unrest."

"Starsin looked worried," said Rurnik with a sneer.

Starsin ignored him, annoyed. It was true; as a fugitive he did not welcome scrutiny.
The dark-haired woman said nothing.

They rode on, into the sunlight and noise of a city street.

"How will we contact the Sharyns?" Starsin asked Lannaira. "Are we going now?"
Lannaira shook her head (in response) "We need to be careful."

Starsin had not expected to see open spaces within the city. It was surprisingly civilised: small vegetable plots adjoined low buildings and the water of an irrigation system could be seen glinting in straight lines. In the distance he spied richly planted parks and gardens, with the shining domed roofs of palaces and temples beyond. (I rephrased the bit above hope you don’t mind)

Lannaira's attention was caught by a column of smoke drifting across an open plot. Full stop. She urged her sho'at towards it. The others were obliged to follow. At a line of flags on cord (bunting?) which barred their way, she stopped, dismounted and ducked under it. Starsin felt a sharp, unhealthy odour tickle his nose.

"What! Is it one of those things? And inside the city?"

Thanks for letting me read this Geoff. :)

I've just commented on the first bit.

Firstly I think there are little words like ‘that’,'the', ‘clearly’ you can strip from the text to make it more taunt. I also feel at times you could use stronger adjectives. For me the descriptions of the built form can work better, you’ve used a myriad of materials for instance (brick, stone and wood). This may be intentional to suggest passage of time as different materials tend to be used during different periods of history, but otherwise I would keep it more consistent.

You have a lot of characters to introduce in this opening chapter, I would take some of the women out - are they really necessary at this stage? Starsin sounds like an interesting, sardonic kind of guy - I would concentrate on showing us more of his POV thoughts and up the tension when they're being searched (what happens if the disc does start to glow? why are they going into the city in the first place). :)

Hope that helps :)

Starsin scowled at Rurnik riding beside him and then in corner of his eye, the red-head was doing the same thing. That's it. Starsin turned his head and hollered: "What's going on there? Is that a line?"

"I can't really see, Star." [add a said tag or an action] "I presume they're checking the people entering the city."

"Checking? I don't like this." As a male, and the highest-ranked member of the party, Starsin supposed that he should take responsibility for getting them into the city unchallenged. Ahead of him a line of people and carts waited to get through the brick arch on the far side of the moat bridge.

[added a break]

The city wall appeared to be of solid stone, at least forty feet high, and outside it flowed a wide moat, or canal. The road crossed the moat by a permanent bridge of wood. Twin arches spanned the road between squat stone towers; part of Chazu's outer defensive wall.

[added a break]

There were three women in Starsin’s party. All three women wore loose jackets and trews that hid their figures. Of the the first two one was fair the other dark; the third following behind had short reddish hair. The animals they rode had six legs.

The woman with short red hair kneed her animal to close up with him.

You deliver a full detail of what city should look about and then you'll enter this detail, when you should have eased into the this and linked city with the people.
"Shut up, Star. It's just routine. You think they're personally looking for you?"

Falcon, also known as Starsin, bore Lannaira's well-aimed sarcasm. Ahead, voices shouted, urging the travellers forward. Carts creaked into motion. Some way inside the city, three slim towers with shafts of a startling turquoise blue soared into the sky. A large object, a kind of kite, waved above the top of each.

You are telling this to you and not the reader. And that is often the problem with first draft. But even though it's on red, I think you can use parts of it in your rewrite. And what I'm saying here is that you should go smoothly and let the small talk take you to the next section.
The hooves of their six-legged sho'ats drummed on the planks of the bridge. Starsin passed a remark [add dialogue or go more deep into the character personal thoughts] on the scale of the defences, but black-haired Rurnik beside him did not reply.

... snip ...

*****************************​
(The text runs straight on here, but the following is filed as a different scene (scene 00001) the opening scene above being scene 00002. (trivial but possibly revealing detail) I’m wondering if this is a better or more hooky place to start the story.)
***********************​

Yes, you're right, this might be much better place to start the story. What you do wrong at the first bit is that you describe too much for you and deliver not enough for the reader. But it's your story Geoff, so you know the best and we can only give our opinions here.

Thanks Brian, Lauren and ctg for pointing out what's wrong with the original opening.
The business about worrying about the guards at the gate seems like something I could drop.
After reading your comments, I'm thinking that I might start the story with something like:
Starsin had not expected to see open spaces within the city, where plots of vegetable crops adjoined low buildings, and where water glinted in ditches. Further off, there were ornately planted parks and gardens, and beyond lay shining domed roofs of palaces or temples.

Lannaira's attention was caught by a column of smoke drifting across an open plot, and she urged her sho'at towards it. The others were obliged to follow. At a line of flags on cord which barred their way, she stopped, dismounted and ducked under it. Starsin felt a sharp, unhealthy odour tickle his nose.

"What, it's one of those things? And inside the city?"
etc,

or as I originally mentioned with:
The depression was three feet across, crusted and black, and in the middle hot cinders glowed and smoked. Down a crack yellow heat sparkled. There was a mixed smell of burnt organics and hot mineral. Lannaira fumbled in her jacket and pulled out a crumpled paper. She ran her finger down the text, then, pointing at the hole, began to read from the paper. The words made no sense to her companions. etc etc.

(note that it's late, so I haven't attempted to rework these paragraphs which I've copied from above.)

As for the original opening, the closing scenes of Book I aren't much good, so I think I'll rework the arrival at Chazu and put it there as the last scene.

I agree with Brian and CTG. Second opening is better. Both were good though. I also agree with Lauren, some tightening will help.

Avoid any mention of "Twin arches". It can have an unavoidable modern reference you definitely don't want in a medieval fantasy. :p (Maybe that's just me, I am hungry)

Very interesting opening. Especially with the second one I'd be anxious to read on.

After reading your comments, I'm thinking that I might start the story with something like:

You're trying to fall back into "describe everything for the reader" mode. And none of this is unusual at all. Which would imply the character had never been to any significant settlement, even a town. In which case, the sense of wonder would come from the new experience of being in an urban environment - and there would be far more to grab his attention than this.
Lannaira's attention was caught by a column of smoke drifting across an open plot

Be careful you keep to the one POV character. It Lannaira is able to do her own thing and wander of, is this really any of Starsin's business? If it is, wouldn't he simply be annoyed at her leading the party away from him and not showing a proper respect for his authority?

You're trying to fall back into "describe everything for the reader" mode. And none of this is unusual at all. Which would imply the character had never been to any significant settlement, even a town. In which case, the sense of wonder would come from the new experience of being in an urban environment - and there would be far more to grab his attention than this.

I take your point.

[/I]Be careful you keep to the one POV character. It Lannaira is able to do her own thing and wander off, is this really any of Starsin's business? If it is, wouldn't he simply be annoyed at her leading the party away from him and not showing a proper respect for his authority?

I need to go away and draft a definitive new opening, probably based on the bit that starts "The depression was three feet across ...".
It's supposed to be Starsin's viewpoint rather than Lannaira's, so I'll have to figure out how to keep things clear should she appear first.

In fact it's Lannaira who is wearing the trousers here, so if I allow the impression that Starsin isn't really in charge to show through, so much the better. ;)

Here’s a more worked-up version of the opening. I still feel that I’m struggling with it. Maybe it needs some more thoughts and reaction, but it’s already not very dynamic. And the last paragraph, where I’ve tried to tie back their little diversion, doesn’t really work. :(
Thanks for your comments so far.
*********************​

Book II – City
Chapter 1

The depression was three feet across, crusted and black, and in the middle hot cinders glowed and smoked. Down a crack yellow heat sparkled. A mixed reek of burnt organics and hot mineral filled Starsin's nostrils.

Lannaira fumbled in her jacket and pulled out a crumpled paper. She ran her finger down the text, then, pointing at the hole, began to read from the paper. The words made no sense to Starsin, and he was annoyed at this diversion.

He tried to guess her motives. Saying a prayer? Quoting some ancient poem? No, she must be trying to discover something about the burning-pit. Their three companions still looked bemused. Ussha, the deaf-mute girl, was waving away the fumes with one sun-browned hand, her tanned face screwed up in an exaggerated expression of disgust. Shell, blonde hair loose, turned to reassure her boyfriend, the dark-haired tribesman Rurnik.

Starsin heard someone shouting behind him. He turned. A man with a staff and badge had crossed the strung line of flags. He was robed, face twisted in determination, and strode forward in an officious manner. "What's the problem, my man?" Starsin asked him.

"What was that woman doing? Is she creating a burning-pit by sorcery?" The man sounded angry, his face flushing.

Starsin didn't answer. "And who might you be, sirrah? Your office?"

"I am an official of the Chazu Holy Militia!" the man gasped.

"And is there something wrong with your wits, sir?" Starsin said, in a cultivated tone.
The man gaped.

"The thing has clearly been here a while, else why the flags? We however have just arrived in the city and were indulging our curiosity."

"What was the woman doing, then, Master?" the militiaman asked in a lower tone.

"How should I know what women do, sir? Reading her list of things to buy, perhaps? Reciting a prayer against harm? It's of no concern."

Shell burst into giggles, then tried to stifle them, placing a tanned hand, ornamented by a shiny ring and wrist-bangle, over her mouth.

"You should not cross the flag barriers," the militiaman said. "These pits are created by deadly sorcery!"

"For that we apologise," Starsin said. "We did not think it would trouble anybody save ourselves."

"Please be about your business, Master. And respect our laws and customs," the militiaman said, holding up the line of flags.

The group returned to the street, in silence. They moved on, till the militiaman was out of hearing.

"That was hilarious!" said Shell in excitement. "You really can talk like a noble!" Starsin wondered, not for the first time, if that young woman took him seriously.

Lannaira tugged at his sleeve. "Thanks for that! I would have done anything rather than show him the paper. I'd never have dared talk to a mazu quite like that! But how -?"

"Evidently the prospect of a complaint from a noble cowed him sufficiently. And don't thank me - jumped-up little men severely annoy me. But what were you doing, Lanna?" He looked into her startling blue eyes. She was as tall as he was. Her skin had faint lines, especially around the eyes, and she had a prominent nose, reddened by the sun.

"I was trying to use some control-words on the burning-pit."

"Hah? I didn't -". Starsin was aware that the burning-pits were thought to be a manifestation of the powers of the ancients, something in which Lannaira and her acquaintances took a serious interest, but talk of control-words was beyond him.

"I'll explain later; it's too public here."

"All right."

Starsin looked around him. He had not expected to see open spaces within the city, where plots of vegetable crops adjoined low buildings, and irrigation water glinted in ditches. Further ahead, there seemed to be richly planted parks and gardens, and where he meant to go beyond the gardens lay the shining domed roofs of palaces or temples. Chazu was at any rate different from his city of birth, Calah.

Lannaira's attention had been caught by a column of smoke drifting across an open plot.
Now they were beside a crossroads; one broad street ran inside the circuit of walls, while the road they had traveled ran on into the city.

Hi Geoff - I much preferred this opening. Its more engaging and less reliant on description which is good. :)

The depression was three feet across, crusted and black, and in the middle hot cinders glowed and smoked. Down a crack yellow heat sparkled. A mixed reek of burnt organics and hot mineral filled Starsin's nostrils.

I think you can work on your descriptions to improve them further - for instance. You could describe how the heat makes it difficult to stand near the pit, did Starsin sweat profusely? how did the minerals smell? was it a choking, pungent, or acrid perhaps?

strung line of flags I'm not so keen on this - it feels a little to modern to have punting around. Perhaps just a solid rope would be sufficient.

"What was that woman doing? Is she creating a burning-pit by sorcery?" The man sounded angry, his face flushing. This could do with clarification as I thought the burning-pit was already there.

"How should I know what women do, sir? Reading her list of things to buy, perhaps? Reciting a prayer against harm? It's of no concern." I thought this was funny, but it would be nice to see Lannaira's response to his words.

I don't get the sense that the characters are really in that much trouble when the militiaman comes over. It does feel like their being naughty tourists. So perhaps you need to increase the danger - create some tension.

I think also it might be good to get a clearer sense of what the burning-pits are about before the end of the piece.

So definitely an improvement for me! Thanks for letting me see it! :)

I'm doing a Star Wars and doing reviews in the wrong order.

The dialogue was a little wooden but I prefer these versions to the city description recently posted. Some description was a little over done but as its mixed up in dialogue it didn't bother me so much. I preferred these openings, what can I say.

This is just a drive by, not much time, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.