3000th-post Excerpt (1k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin99

I reached my 3k post the other day but with things being what they are with my aunt, I didn't post here, and I feel a bit guilty since no one's badgered me into it as they usually do when people are fine. Tbh I'm not sure I should post anything until I've completed and polished my story, but since it seems to be a tradition to post every thousandth post...

WARNING: I'm still writing this novel, so there will be plenty chopped and changed, especially once I write more than my ideal word count. I'm thinking I may have to prune this drastically one day.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I'm looking for in a critique. I don't think I want the basics checked, since I'm annoyingly stubborn about grammar (if there's anything you REALLY hate, though, point it out; I'm willing to be swayed... except on my comma splice), but anything else is fine.

However, I just read the piece over and feel nothing. It's a bit lifeless. Dunno whether that's just my state of mind at the moment. If others hate this too, I'll know to fix it when I feel better. It's had a few passes for niggles, though the major overhaul will come at the end of writing my novel.

Don't be afraid to say anything. I'm used to giving and getting critiques (I used to be a serial critiquer here), though this is my first time posting in Critiques.

Chapter Two, Scene Three:

A slap on the cheek. Chloe blinked, coming to; the day was glaring on her eyes. Urgh, feel like I’ve been head-butting walls all night.

What—?

Something rough and bitter was keeping her mouth open, tied tightly as a noose around her head. She was slapped again, harder, and gripped on the chin until she focused on the stocky man ahead. It took a moment before she realised a gang of guards crowded her. Memories of the last two days slammed home – a man with dead eyes, a snowy wasteland, a crowd surging at her. The nightmare was real. She struggled and mumbled protests – her voice sounded slurred even without the gag. The men laughed and spoke to one another, eyes hard. There was a cacophony of shouts and chattering in the distance.

She shook her head, wriggled in the man’s grasp to discover that her hands were manacled and she was wearing a long, thin rag on her upper half and her muddy jeans above bare feet.

Her screech was muffled in the thick layers of the gag. Wide awake now, she screamed and struggled, much to the guards’ amusement. Through the snow they began hauling her by the arms like a murderer, and she thrashed wildly. Where were they taking her? What would they do?

There was a sharp smell in the air – smoke and something unrecognisable.

The commotion grew louder and cheers erupted. The words were lost to her. Chloe fell silent, gaze darting to the open square around her, to the tall buildings that seemed to close in, to the weird stage ahead, surrounded by a vast crowd. The guards pulled her toward a pole in the centre of the raised platform, with wide upside-down Vs nailed down its bottom half.

As she was dragged into view, the horde went wild, screaming and stabbing the air. She thrashed and screamed anew. The shouts were deafening, all around. Hands forced her onto the platform. On a large metallic plate to her right, a cauldron of black gloop bubbled over a fire. Her captors slammed her against the pole, then bound her to the wood.

She couldn’t turn to see what was happening, she could only stare at the crowd’s shadowed faces underneath their cloaks.

‘Please!’ she tried to say. ‘Please! I’m innocent!’ Her muffled speech drowned in the sea of calls.

Each of her hands was roped to the arm of one of the upside-down-V planks, palms flat against the wood. Other guards held everyone back. A pompous man in a green cloak announced something, which garnered nods and growls.

Chloe couldn’t breathe. She was going to die. She heaved against the bonds, her effort futile against the pole behind her.

‘Please!’ she screamed at the rabid crowd.

The man laughed and said something to the mob. They began screeching words and pointing at her. With obvious glee the man ripped away Chloe’s upper clothing to reveal her naked breasts and arms. She gasped, wriggling to free herself, but her efforts only encouraged the crowd. Their shouting became a chant of one word that sounded like “aabwelayba”.

Blood pounded in her ears. Her chest tightened further.

The man seized her upper arm and the crowd went wild. He seized the same place on her other arm, shouting, and stabbed fingers into her skin. Laughter and yells rang out.

More people had gathered to watch. Three more guards appeared, one wearing a taller helmet than the others, richly detailed and gleaming. With no hindrance they moved to the front of the crowd, and as the leader took his place on stage, he paused, glanced at Chloe, then nodded.

The noise died. The crowd’s gaze turned to the cauldron. She strained against her head bond to see what was happening, but her head wouldn’t turn. Beside her she heard a loud hiss.

She shrank against the pole.

Another man waddled into view, plump and greasy. He held a poker with a shaped end covered in steaming, bubbling black slime. It resembled a branding iron.

‘Please!’ she said, the gag strangling her words. ‘Please! This is a mistake! A mistake!

The man yanked her gag free, grinning in a way that froze Chloe’s tongue. He spoke, but all she heard was the bubbles popping on the iron’s tip. He stood back, held up the iron to delighted, silent eagerness—

‘No! Please, I’m sorry! I’m sorry!

The end was thrust toward her forehead. Before it crackled against her skin, the man lurched and his poker clattered to the floor. The head guard had knocked him aside. A commotion began then, with the mob looking as confused as Chloe felt. The head guard stared at her, all hard lines and weathered skin. She dared not move, didn’t have time to feel embarrassed about her nakedness. He spoke in that same foreign tongue, face expectant.

Chloe released the breath she’d been holding. It sounded monolithic in the silence. She was supposed to speak, but if she said the wrong thing, what would happen? She wanted to hide, not talk. Her words stalled a few times.

‘Please… Please, I’m innocent.’

He gasped and shook her shoulders, looming over her.

‘Please!’ she screamed. ‘I’m innocent! I was scared. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have used the knife!’

The nearby guards drew breaths. Chloe jolted. ‘You speak English?’

‘Ing-lish,’ said the head guard.

‘Yes!’ Tears began cooling her cheeks. ‘I came here for help, that’s all. I don’t know how I got here. This has all been a mistake—’

‘Ing-lish,’ he repeated, rolling the word over his tongue as though tasting it. He punched the pole above Chloe’s head, then shouted something – it could have been a swear word – before he shoved the chubby man off the platform so he fell onto the crowd.

Chloe expected to be struck. The guards looked nervous, too, shuffling their feet and looking between each other. Suddenly she was untied and tossed her rag, then as she held it around her, the head guard dragged her back the way she had come. They left behind an uproar from the spectators, who were whispering and staring at Chloe with a newfound gleam in their eyes.

She couldn’t stop shaking. What had just happened?

My initial response on reading this through is that it's the real stuff, very good. I couldn't see right away anything that needed sorting, and the story is very gripping. It definitely looked like your lead character was doomed. Whatever is going on here? I really want to know.

A couple of pointers:

- "was" is an evil word. Try and remove where possible to make events more immediate, eg, "was keeping her mouth open" to "kept her mouth open". The sentence is more immediate, and it reduces your wordcount;

- "Chloe blinked, coming to; the day was glaring on her eyes" - I find this sentence clumsy and really want to change it. Only the eyes will suffer from the glare so you don't need to mention them. Additionally, we're told later that she's dragged through snow, yet there's never any mention of her feeling cold (even when her clothes are off?). At the start might be helpful, not least for setting scene and context

- repetition - you repeat a couple of details, for example the V-shaped poles. You mention them once, you don't need to again.

- character experience - where is it? :) There are a couple of sentences, but they feel ... inserted because they are mandatory, rather than a unique perspective to this character. And she does an awful lot of noting what's happening around her, but expresses her feelings most via speech (how I read it, anyway). I appreciate we're missing context here, but except for a line early on about remembering, she doesn't put anything into context here. For example, does she know this crowd? Then she knows what to fear; does she not know this crowd? Then the fear will be of the unknown they represent.

- adrenaline - I would strongly recommend every writer to read up about violence and the effects of adrenaline. Not a particular flaw here, but closer study would make this scene stronger. Rory Miller does a great book on this for writers and I find it invaluable for realistic reactions to violence and the threat of violence.

- gloop - seems like a weak word in context of the scene. If she's terrified, and fears what this substance is, we should see it - if she doesn't know what the substance is then it should be especially scary. Her description (like some of those of the crowd) feel too calm. Inject more of her emotions into it.

Overall, not a bad piece, but I want to see more character experience here - then should help the scene come more alive. Then again, I am a demanding reader and many published books fail to do this as well. :)

Hey Leisha, in my opinion, this was great. Well written with an engaging voice and story. I will agree with Cosmic that this felt like the real deal. It made me want to read on 100%

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Always appreciated. And I appreciate the honesty very much.

However, I fear I'll keep disappointing you, Brian, cos I prefer the more distant approach and find those books more to my taste. :D That's not to say I don't have character inner thoughts in my story (I think I have too many actually, and I've tried to lessen the inner conflict so it doesn't take over; I have a tendency to slow action down with inner stuff), when my character isn't too frantic. Here, my character has also been drugged and is just getting over it about now, so she's not herself as much as she has been, too, which I think will be a problem for people reading this. Ah well. And I suppose it was wrong not to tell of the cold. I'd been avoiding that, because I don't want to labour the point; I've had the girl freeze in the snow a lot in the opening chapter-and-a-bit, so I dunno... I hoped I wouldn't have to mention it here. Suppose I'll have to fix that.

Anyway, I also admit to liking "was" on occasion. :eek: The was in "was keeping" is just continuous tense, not passive voice, which I feel is more immediate and continuous than "kept", which is why I chose it. I did switch between them a couple of times before staying with it, though. Maybe I'll switch again!

You've opened my eyes to the repetition of the poles and other things, though - thank you. I never know if I have to be precise, so readers can imagine exactly how her hands are twisted, being held against those Vs (since it relates to something later on regarding her arms), or if I have to leave it vague. I'm terrible at that. A huge flaw of mine is over-describing, trying to get the reader to imagine *exactly* what I see instead of letting them see their own scene.

"Chloe blinked, coming to; the day was glaring on her eyes" - I find this sentence clumsy and really want to change it. Only the eyes will suffer from the glare so you don't need to mention them.

Thanks. This is something I agonised over. I thought the sentence too choppy if I didn't write "on her eyes". Perhaps I'll have to find a compromise...

Last edited:
I really like this. The first paragraph was a bit slow for me, but after that you kept my attention the entire time.

Can't wait to read more.

Thanks, abraves. All opinions welcome.

I've added the following to one part, but I'll have to reread it another time to see if it fits in or makes things clearer. I don't think I'm in a writing mood right now:

"Everything was too much to take in. Her head still felt as if it were swimming through mud, trying to keep up with what was going on – and yet she fought. For home. For her sister. For the slim hope she held of escape."

And maybe this makes more of her character shine through without seeming too much for someone in her state(?):

"Each of her hands was roped to the arm of one of the upside-down Vs, palms flat against the wood – an angle that stretched her shoulders back painfully. She held in her cry, not wanting to give the crowd more satisfaction."

And it's a very welcome opinion, thank you. I've really been considering your points and, as you can see above, I've made some changes already. Maybe there's a halfway mark I can aim for.

Hi Leisha,

It's very good. I have a couple of mini-thoughts that are very much about my personal reaction.

Something rough and bitter was keeping her mouth open, tied tightly as a noose around her head.

I don't really think of a noose as tight (although I appreciate that they can become so), so the image -- while powerful -- made me re-read and think and be uncertain.

She was slapped again, harder, and gripped on the chin

I didn't like the passive here. I didn't really like "She was slapped again..." but "and gripped on the chin" really made me twitch. I'd have strongly preferred a "someone" doing those things.

until she focused on the stocky man ahead. It took a moment before she realised a gang of guards crowded her. Memories of the last two days slammed home – a man with dead eyes, a snowy wasteland, a crowd surging at her. The nightmare was real. She struggled [Sorry to mess with your grammar. It's a very personal thing but I'd like a comma in here.I didn't like the ambiguity (was she struggling protests?)] and mumbled protests – her voice sounded slurred even without the gag. [so here, there's no gag?] The men laughed and spoke to one another, eyes hard. There was a cacophony of shouts and chattering in the distance.

She shook her head, wriggled in the man’s grasp to discover that her hands were manacled and she was wearing a long, thin rag on her upper half and her muddy jeans above bare feet.

Her screech was muffled in the thick layers of the gag. [but here there's a gag again?] Wide awake now, she screamed and struggled, much to the guards’ amusement. Through the snow they began hauling her by the arms like a murderer [the order of that made me twitch], and she thrashed wildly. Where were they taking her? What would they do? [My personal feeling is that there's been a bit much screaming and struggling without learning anything else or achieving anything -- I'd like something else to have happened]

There was a sharp smell in the air – smoke and something unrecognisable.

The commotion grew louder and cheers erupted. The words were lost to her. Chloe fell silent, gaze darting to the open square around her, to the tall buildings that seemed to close in, to the weird stage ahead, surrounded by a vast crowd. The guards pulled her toward a pole in the centre of the raised platform, with wide upside-down Vs nailed down its bottom half.

As she was dragged into view, [I thought that happened in the last para? And I wonder why they were cheering?] the horde went wild, screaming and stabbing the air. She thrashed and screamed anew. The shouts were deafening, all around. [this feels like repetition to me] Hands forced her onto the platform. On a large metallic plate to her right, a cauldron of black gloop bubbled over a fire. Her captors slammed her against the pole, then bound her to the wood.

She couldn’t turn to see what was happening, she could only stare at the crowd’s shadowed faces underneath their cloaks.

‘Please!’ she tried to say. ‘Please! I’m innocent!’ Her muffled speech drowned in the sea of calls. [and the gag?]

Each of her hands was roped to the arm of one of the upside-down-V planks, palms flat against the wood. [but they've bound her already] Other guards held everyone back. A pompous man in a green cloak announced something, which garnered nods and growls. ["pompous" doesn't feel like something Chloe would think in these circumstances]

Chloe couldn’t breathe. She was going to die. She heaved against the bonds, [ her effort futile against the pole behind her. <-- I don't think you need this. Not saying it would work as well]

The man laughed and said something to the mob. They began screeching words and pointing at her. With obvious glee the man ripped away Chloe’s upper clothing to reveal her naked breasts and arms. [and arms? Are arms somehow more significant in this culture than in ours?] She gasped, wriggling to free herself, but her efforts only encouraged the crowd. [she's done a lot of wriggling to free herself and I'm noticing the repeat] Their shouting became a chant of one word that sounded like “aabwelayba”.

Blood pounded in her ears. Her chest tightened further.[This, I like very much]

The man seized her upper arm and the crowd went wild. He seized the same place on her other arm, shouting, and stabbed fingers into her skin. Laughter and yells rang out.

More people had gathered to watch. Three more guards appeared, one wearing a taller helmet than the others, richly detailed and gleaming. With no hindrance they moved to the front of the crowd, and as the leader took his place on stage, he paused, glanced at Chloe, then nodded. [there's nothing wrong with this, but in a book I'd have skipped this bit. I'm not engaged in it. I'm not sure why but I think it's that the same thing seems to be happening over and over again -- someone does something, Chloe struggles and the crowd yells.
I know that the extra guards/ the binding of her arms etc are significant to you, the author, but to me they're not because I don't know what's happening and I want something I understand to happen because I got right from the start that Chloe was in a very dangerous and scary position and I feel like I don't need to be told again]

The noise died. The crowd’s gaze turned to the cauldron. She strained against her head bond to see what was happening, but her head wouldn’t turn. Beside her she heard a loud hiss.

Another man waddled into view, plump and greasy. He held a poker with a shaped end covered in steaming, bubbling black slime. It resembled a branding iron.

‘Please!’ she said, the gag strangling her words. ‘Please! This is a mistake! A mistake![she's also a bit pathetic, which means I don't care as much as I might]

The man yanked her gag free, grinning in a way that froze Chloe’s tongue. He spoke, but all she heard was the bubbles popping on the iron’s tip. He stood back, held up the iron to delighted, silent eagerness—

The end was thrust toward her forehead. Before it crackled against her skin, the man lurched and his poker clattered to the floor. The head guard had knocked him aside. A commotion began then, with the mob looking as confused as Chloe felt. The head guard stared at her, all hard lines and weathered skin. She dared not move, didn’t have time to feel embarrassed about her nakedness. He spoke in that same foreign tongue, face expectant.

Chloe released the breath she’d been holding. It sounded monolithic in the silence. [I like that but I don't understand it] She was supposed to speak, but if she said the wrong thing, what would happen? She wanted to hide, not talk. Her words stalled a few times.

‘Please!’ she screamed. ‘I’m innocent! I was scared. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have used the knife!’

‘Yes!’ Tears began cooling her cheeks. ‘I came here for help, that’s all. I don’t know how I got here. This has all been a mistake—’

‘Ing-lish,’ he repeated, rolling the word over his tongue as though tasting it. He punched the pole above Chloe’s head, then shouted something – it could have been a swear word – before he shoved the chubby man off the platform so he fell onto the crowd.

Chloe expected to be struck. The guards looked nervous, too, shuffling their feet and looking between each other. Suddenly she was untied and tossed her rag [tossed her rag? Oh, I get it from the next sentence, but the passive really threw me -- and I have nothing against passive for passive's sake but I didn't understand], then as she held it around her, the head guard dragged her back the way she had come. They left behind an uproar from the spectators, who were whispering and staring at Chloe with a newfound gleam in their eyes.

She couldn’t stop shaking. What had just happened? Indeed.

From my point of view it's hard to get involved in this because I have no idea what's happening. If Chloe were to speculate a bit about the black gloop, or have any thoughts at all except blank and staring terror, then it might be easier. It will be a powerful scene but it feels to me like it would be stronger at about a third of the length.

(Disclaimer: I read and write short things, and never epic fantasy.]

I'm about to switch my PC off for the night, but thank you, Hex (hope things are still going well for you). From your crit, I see I've some points to address (I've fixed one line to "her voice WOULD HAVE sounded slurred even without the gag", since it needed clarification.)

Can I ask - would you find her pathetic if you knew she was only 17 and had already tried (and failed) to get away from these people? That she had been incapacitated and brought here even though she had put herself in danger trying to rescue one of these people at the start of the novel? I don't want her to seem useless...

And hmmm. Gonna have to rethink the arm bit. The arms play an important part in the next chapter or so, and a huge part in the novel. If people don't care at this point, perhaps I need to do something else. I need to show how vital her bare arms are to these people, how the man riles the crowd by it.

Chloe couldn’t breathe. She was going to die. She heaved against the bonds, [ her effort futile against the pole behind her. <-- I don't think you need this. Not saying it would work as well]

Argh! I just added that today, cos the sentences seemed too choppy otherwise. :D

Anyway, I'm discovering that it's weird how many people hate passive for certain sentences (maybe mine just don't work!). I prefer passive for sentences where I want the aggressor being unknown. I prefer the "She was slapped" because it shows that Chloe doesn't really realise who's doing the slapping, at that moment...

Hmmm. Definitely gonna have to rethink a lot.

Key: [comments] ... Suggested deletions ... Suggested additions

[Please forgive the way I’m critiquing this: I soon fell into the trap of editing what you wrote (i.e. imposing my solutions for the issues I’m having with the original). It’s a sin of which I’m often guilty. :)() Unfortunately, once I'm in this mode, I can get rather picky, so feel free to ignore any or all of it.]

[Also, I may not have reinserted all the space characters that the forum software, in cooperation with M$ Word, removed.]

A slap on the cheek. Chloe blinked, coming to; the day was glaring on her eyes. Urgh, feel like I've been head-butting walls all night.

[I’m having trouble with this first paragraph, but only because the unassigned thinking suggests that it’s already in close third person rather than in third omniscient. If Chloe’s only coming to in the second sentence, how does she know she’s being slapped, rather than working it out because her cheeks is stinging? It also undermines the implication that we’re reading Chloe’s thoughts, although this is implied due to the lack of any other attribution. The easiest way to force the reader to accept we’re in Chloe’s PoV is to document what happens in terms of how only she might experience it. So:]

The stinging pain on her cheek forced Chloe back to consciousness. Opening her eyes, she blinked at the glare of daylight. Urgh. Her head hurt much the same as if she’d been butting walls all night.

What—? [Run on] Something rough and bitter, and tied tightly as a noose around her head, was keeping her mouth open.

Something rough and bitter was keeping her mouth open, tied tightly as a noose around her head. She was slapped again, harder, and gripped on the chin until she focused on the stocky man ahead. Another slap, harder this time,followed by a hand tightly gripping her chin, forced her to focus on the stocky man ahead. It took a moment before she realised He was not alone; a gang of guards crowded round her.

[New paragraph] Memories of the last two days slammed home – a man with dead eyes, a snowy wasteland, a crowd surging at her. The nightmare was real. She struggled and mumbled protests – her voice sounded slurred even without the gag. [You’ve already mentioned something holding her mouth open.Was there also a gag, and if so, when was it removed?] The men laughed and spoke to one another, eyes hard. [I’m assuming they're speaking a language Chloe doesn’t understand, otherwise wouldn’t she mention something they said, or whether some of it was about her?] There was a A cacophony of shouts and chattering came from somewhere in the distance. [Has Chloe got exceptional hearing? I only ask because she seems to be able to hear chattering in the distance even though it’s accompanied by a lot of shouting.]

She shook her head, and wriggled in the man's grasp, only to discover that her hands were manacled.[I’m assuming the man is still grasping her chin, which makes it unlikely that she can see much of her clothing, even above her waist,let alone her feet.]and she was wearing a long, thin rag on her upper half and her muddy jeans above bare feet.

Her screech was muffled in the thick layers of the gag. [The gag is back.] Wide awake now, she screamed and struggled, much to the guards’ amusement. Through the snow they They began hauling her by the arms like a murderer, [If you want to keep these three words, you need to at least mention why different crimes result in different ways of being hauled about.] through the snow. [You could mention how cold her feet are.] and she She thrashed wildly. Where were they taking her? What would they do?

There was a sharp smell in the air– smoke and something unrecognisable she couldn’t recognise.

The commotion grew louder and cheers erupted. The words were lost to her. Chloe fell silent, gaze darting to the open square around her, to the tall buildings that seemed to close in, [while I know what you mean, it’s jarring to have something described as being simultaneously open and closing in. (It doesn’t help that the square is not really open in another way: it’s full of people.) You could try something like: her gaze darting about the square, whose tall buildings seemed to close in on her,] to the weird stageahead, surrounded by a vast crowd. The guards pulled her toward a pole in the centre of the raised platform, with wide upside-down Vs nailed down its bottom half.

As she was dragged into view, the horde went wild, screaming and stabbing the air. She thrashed and screamed anew. The shouts were deafening, all around. Hands forced her onto the platform. Countless hands helped push her onto the platform. [I say helped, because I imagine she's still being hauled.] On a large metallic plate to her right, a cauldron of black gloop bubbled over a fire. On a large metallic plate to her right, flames licked the sides of a cauldron containing black bubbling gloop. [I changed this because my eye was asked to move from the metallic plate all the way up to the cauldron and its contents, then down to the fire. It’s probably just me being anal, but I want to take the scene in with a single movement: plate, fire, cauldron, contents.]

[New paragraph] Her captors slammed her against the pole, then bound her to the wood. [Run on] She couldn’t turn to see what was happening, she could only stare at the crowd’s shadowed faces underneath their cloaks.

‘Please!’ she tried to say. ‘Please! I’m innocent!’ Her muffled speech drowned in the sea of calls.

Each of her hands was roped to the arm of one of the upside-down-V planks, palms flat against the wood. Other guards held everyone back. A pompous man in a green cloak announced something,which garnered nods and growls. [Now that she’s tied to the inverted Vs, her hands are likely no higher than her waist, and without anyone holding her chin, she’s probably able to look down at herself and see how she’s dressed. And she’ll now know why her feet were so cold.]

Chloe couldn’t breathe. She was going to die. She heaved against the bonds, her effort futile against the pole behind her.

The man laughed and said something to the mob. [Again, the reader must assume she can’t understand the language. Or is the man closer to (some of) the crowd than he is to her? (In any case, he wouldn’t be whispering to the mob.)] They began screeching words and pointing at her. With obvious glee, the man ripped away Chloe’s upper clothing to reveal her naked breasts and arms. She gasped, wriggling to free herself, but her efforts only encouraged the crowd. Their shouting became a chant of one word that sounded like “aabwelayba”.

The man seized her upper arm and the crowd went wild. He As he began shouting, he seized the same place on her other arm, shouting, and stabbed fingers into her skin. Laughter and yells rang out.

More people had gathered to watch. [This seems a bit passionless.] As the crowd grew, three Three more guards appeared amongst them, one wearing a taller helmet than the others, richly detailed and gleaming. With no hindrance they moved purposefully towards her. the front of the crowd, and as the Their leader took his place on stage, paused, glanced at Chloe, then nodded.

The noise died.; the The crowd’s gaze had turned to the cauldron. She strained against her head bond to see what was happening, but her head wouldn’t turn. Beside her she heard aloud hiss. [Is the head bond attached to the pole? If so, you ought to have mentioned this.]

Another man waddled into view, plump and greasy. He held a poker; with a its shaped end covered in steaming, bubbling black slime., It resembled a branding iron.

‘Please!’ she said, though the gag was strangling her words.‘Please! This is a mistake! A mistake!

The man yanked her gag free, grinning in a way that froze Chloe’s tongue. He spoke, but all could hear she heard was were the bubbles popping on the iron’s tip. He stood back, held up the iron to delighted, silent eagerness—

The end was thrust toward her forehead. Before it crackled could crackle against her skin, the man lurched fell back [lurching forward not being ideal in this situation] and his poker clattered to the floor. The head guard had knocked him aside. A commotion began then, with the mob looking as confused as Chloe felt. The head guard stared at her, all hard lines and weathered skin. She dared not move, didn’t have time to feel embarrassed about her nakedness. He spoke in that same foreign tongue, face expectant.

Chloe released the breath she’d been holding. It sounded monolithic [she's stoned? ;)] in the silence. She was supposed to speak, but if she said the wrong thing...? , what would happen? She wanted to hide, not talk. Her words stalled a few times.

‘Ing-lish,’ he repeated, rolling the word over his tongue as though tasting it. He punched the pole above Chloe’s head, then shouted something – it could have been a swear word – before he shoved the chubby man off the platform, who fell onto into the crowd.

Chloe expected to be struck. The guards looked nervous, too, shuffling their feet and looking between each other. Suddenly she was untied and tossed her rag, then as As she held it around her, the head guard dragged her back the way she had come. They left behind an uproar from the spectators, who were whispering and staring at Chloe with a newfound gleam in their eyes.

She couldn’t stop shaking. What had just happened?

Hi Leisha! Those were, of course, my very personal responses and like all such should only be listened to if they help!

I think to come over as sympathetic it helps if a character's trying to do something to change their situation (even if, in real life, there's no way a real person would do anything more than squeal with terror).

Is there any chance for Chloe to plan to escape? e.g. when they take her up onto the stage might she plan to jump off the steps but not manage to? Might she be trying to undo her chains/ rub the rope against the wood to weaken it? etc.

Might she have some reaction other than terror? e.g. she could yell angrily at the crowd rather than pleading with them? Might she try to conceal how terrified she is, out of a sense of pride?

I think any of those things might make her more sympathetic to me if I were reading it.

The arms thing: if Chloe is from our culture, not this one, then I would expect her to be considerably more worried about having her breasts exposed than her arms ("he ripped away her upper clothing to reveal her naked breasts and arms"). I thought the bit with the guard squeezing her arms was good -- mysterious but intriguing.

Thanks, all. And thanks for a different reason. Since my aunt went into hospital I've been a bit lost, browsing sites and looking at random things I don't really care for to take my mind off stuff. Now I have a focus, something to distract me, though I know any changes I make to my excerpt will not be the best writing I've done (it can be fixed, though!).

So I've carefully considered everyone's comments and will do so again in the next few days to see if I can fix more. Every comment is appreciated, so thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions. I made the changes I felt were immediately necessary and also tried to add a bit more character experience, so even though Chloe's drugged, she still seems a bit more like herself rather than being completely distant.

I've tried to make it clearer why she doesn't kick guards and break bonds and stuff, too (I have my characters doing those sorts of thing where appropriate, but here I felt it would not be realistic if a young girl, who can't understand anyone or anything, wasn't frightened witless when surrounded by a crowd who would chase her and guards who are much stronger than she is, and the world is still new and scary to her, and she's trying to understand how she got to the world in the first place...). I just don't want to lose people's suspension of disbelief...

In case anyone new comes to this thread, I've made a few changes, though it might not be everyone's cup of tea and I do intend to see what I can chop, at some point, so it isn't so "wriggly, shouty, and screamy" (;)):

----------------------------------------------------------------------​

A sharp sting. Chloe opened her eyes and blinked against the glaring daylight. Urgh, feel like I’ve been head-butting walls all night.

What—?

Something rough and bitter was keeping her mouth open, tied tightly as a noose around her head. A gag. Shivers racked her and she was slapped on the cheek again, harder, then gripped on the chin until she focused on the stocky man ahead. She blinked, and slowly a gang of guards sharpened into view. Memories of the last two days slammed home – a man with dead eyes, a snowy wasteland, a crowd surging at her, a dark prison. She struggled and mumbled protests – her voice would have sounded slurred even without the gag. The men caused a distant fear in her, yet she knew she should have felt something stronger. What’s wrong with me? She remembered the dart piercing her neck outside the city gate, remembered the crowd closing in as she fell to the ground. The men laughed and spoke to one another, eyes hard. There was a cacophony of shouts and chattering in the distance.

She shook her head, wriggled in the man’s grasp to discover that her hands were manacled and she was wearing a long, thin rag on her upper half and her muddy jeans above bare feet. Her feet were burning ice, and she couldn’t stand properly.

Her screech was muffled in the thick layers of the gag. Wide awake now, she screamed and struggled, much to the guards’ amusement. Through the snow they began hauling her by the arms like some murderer, and she thrashed wildly. Where were they taking her? What would they do?

There was a sharp smell in the air – smoke and something she didn’t recognise.

The commotion grew louder and cheers erupted. The words were lost to her, in that strange language. Chloe fell silent, gaze darting to the open square around her, to the tall buildings that seemed to close in, to the weird stage ahead, surrounded by a vast crowd. Everything was too much to take in. Her head still felt as if it were swimming through mud, trying to keep up with what was going on – and yet she fought. For home. For her sister. For the slim hope she held of escape. The guards pulled her toward a pole in the centre of the raised platform, with wide upside-down Vs nailed down its bottom half.

As she was dragged into view, the horde went wild, screaming and stabbing the air. Deafening. She thrashed anew, but hands forced her onto the platform. On a large metallic plate beside her, a cauldron of black gloop bubbled over a fire.

Her captors slammed her against the pole, then bound her to the wood using its straps. The men were strong, tall. Their hard grips spoke of practice. No one escaped them.

Each of her hands was held to the arm of one of the inverted Vs, palms flat against the wood – an angle that painfully stretched her shoulders back. She held in her cry, not wanting to give the crowd more satisfaction. Other guards held everyone back. A pompous man in a green cloak announced something, which garnered nods and growls.

Chloe couldn’t breathe. She was going to die. She heaved against the bonds, knowing they would never loosen.

‘Please!’ she screamed at the rabid crowd. Why did she keep trying to talk while gagged? She wanted to escape, but there was no escape this time. Even if she could break free, she couldn’t walk straight. Her balance still felt atrocious, tipping her and making her limbs move too far. I shouldn’t have come here!

I had nowhere else to go.

The man laughed and said something to the mob. They began screeching words and pointing at her. What was happening? What were they saying? With obvious glee the man ripped away Chloe’s upper clothing to reveal her naked breasts and arms. Winter bit her skin, forcing a gasp from her. She wriggled harder – embarrassed, scared – knowing it was useless yet not knowing what else to do, but her efforts only encouraged the crowd. Their shouting became a chant of one word that sounded like “aabwelayba”.

The man seized her upper arm and the crowd went wild. He seized the same place on her other arm, shouting, and stabbed fingers into her skin. Laughter and yells rang out, and Chloe wanted to scream. What did it all mean? Why her arms?

More people had gathered to watch, as if this were some sick form of entertainment. Three more guards appeared, one in a taller helmet than the others, richly detailed and gleaming. With no hindrance they moved towards her, and as the leader took his place on stage, he glanced at Chloe, then nodded.

The noise died. The crowd’s gaze turned to the cauldron. She fought against her head strap to see what was happening, but it wouldn’t budge. Beside her she heard a loud hiss.

Another man waddled into view, plump and greasy. He held a poker with a shaped end covered in steaming, bubbling black slime, like a branding iron. It smelled of torture and death.

‘Please!’ she said, the gag strangling her words. ‘Please! This is a mistake! A mistake!

The man ripped her gag free, grinning in a way that froze Chloe’s tongue. He spoke, but all she heard was the bubbles popping on the iron’s tip. He stood back, held up the iron to delighted, silent eagerness—

The end was thrust toward her forehead. Before it crackled against her skin, the man lurched sideways and his poker clattered to the floor. The head guard had ploughed into him. A commotion began then, with the mob looking as confused as Chloe felt. The head guard stared at her, all hard lines and weathered skin. She dared not move, didn’t have time to feel embarrassed about her nakedness. He spoke in that same foreign tongue, face expectant.

Chloe released the breath she’d been holding. It sounded monolithic in the silence. She was supposed to speak, but if she said the wrong thing…? She wanted to hide, not talk. Her words stalled a few times.

‘I… I came to help the man.’

‘Ing-lish,’ he repeated, rolling the word over his tongue as though tasting it. He punched the pole above Chloe’s head, then shouted something – it could have been a swear word – before he shoved the chubby man off the platform to tumble onto the crowd.

Chloe expected to be struck. The guards looked nervous, too, shuffling their feet and looking between each other. Suddenly, she was untied and tossed her rag. As she held it around her, the head guard dragged her back the way she had come. They left behind an uproar from the spectators, who were whispering and staring at Chloe with a newfound gleam in their eyes.

She couldn’t stop shaking. What had just happened?​

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I read the first, but didn't get to the computer to crit it, so I'll do this one for you instead. *Inserts lovely teethies* Bear in mind, I'm obsessed with closeness, and might want more of that than you intend.

Something rough and bitter was keeping her mouth open, tied tightly as a noose around her headthis sentence made me twitch -- is it tied like a noose or is it tied as tightly as a noose would be. It's not quite clear (I think it's the second). A gag. Shivers racked her andnot sure about this and -- unless being slapped on the cheek is a consequence of shivering, then I think it would be clearer without it. she was slapped on the cheek again, harder, then gripped on the chin until she focused on the stocky man ahead. She blinked, and slowly a gang of guards sharpened into view. maybe a new paragraph here?Memories of the last two days slammed home – a man with dead eyes, a snowy wasteland, a crowd surging at her, a dark prison. She struggled and mumbled protests – her voice would have sounded slurred even without the gag. The men caused a distant fear in her, yet she knew she should have feltdropping into the past tense for something that's happening at the same time as the narrative didn't sit quite right for me. feel would have been my preference. something stronger. What’s wrong with me? She remembered the dart piercing her neck outside the city gate, remembered the crowd closing in as she fell to the ground. The men laughed and spoke to one another, eyes hard. There was a cacophony of shouts and chattering in the distance.For me -- and I felt the same with the first excerpt -- it is too distant for me. I'm reading what happened and when and to whom, but I really don't know how she is feeling about it. Is she scared? I can't tell. Angry? Without knowing her feelings I'm finding it hard to get engaged.

She shook her head, wriggled in the man’s grasp to discover that her hands were manacled and she was wearing a long, thin rag on her upper half and her muddy jeans above bare feet. Her feet were burning ice, and she couldn’t stand properly.

Her screech was muffled in the thick layers of the gag. Wide awake now, she screamed and struggled, much to the guards’ amusement. And again, this is a list of actions, not how she actually feels. Her screech was muffled. Did that panic her? Was that why she screamed and struggled? Or was she screeching as she struggled? Through the snow they began hauling her by the arms like some murderer, and she thrashed wildly. Where were they taking her? What would they do?

There was a sharp smell in the air – smoke and something I'd like something more here, is it acrid, earthy? It's okay not to recognise it -- I like the foreboding it sets -- but the something doesn't give me anything to hold onto as an image. she didn’t recognise.

The commotion grew louder and cheers erupted. The words were lost to her, in that strange language. Chloe fell silent, gaze darting to the open square around her, to the tall buildings that seemed to close in, to the weird stage ahead, surrounded by a vast crowd. Everything was too much to take in. Her head still felt as if it were swimming through mud, trying to keep up with what was going on – and yet she fought. For home. For her sister. For the slim hope she held of escape. The guards pulled her toward a pole in the centre of the raised platform, with wide upside-down Vs nailed down its bottom half.This was closer and more engaging for me.

As she was dragged into viewisn't she already in view?, the horde went wild, screaming and stabbing the air. Deafening. She thrashed anew, but hands forced her onto the platform. On a large metallic plate beside her, a cauldron of black gloopagain, I'd like a bit more. Gloop could be anything. And it doesn't sound very sinister. bubbled over a fire.

Her captors slammed her against the pole, then bound her to the wood using itswhich its? I'm not sure. In fact, if you dropped its, I think it would be fine. It's the precision about something that I can't place that's making me twitch, just a little. straps. The men were strong, tall. Their hard grips spoke of practice. No one escaped them.

‘Please!’ she tried to sayBut she did say it? It's just that they didn't hear it?. ‘Please! I’m innocent!’ Her muffled speech drowned in the sea of calls.

Each of her hands was held to the arm of one of the inverted Vs, palms flat against the wood – an angle that painfully stretched her shoulders backMight just be me, but I'm struggling to see that image. . She held in her crywhy? She's been happy to scream and what-not up to now, not wanting to give the crowd more satisfaction. Other guards held everyone back. A pompous man in a green cloak announced something, which garnered nods and growls.

Chloe couldn’t breathe. She was going to die. She heaved against the bonds, knowing they would never loosen.

‘Please!’ she screamed at the rabid crowd. Why did she keep trying to talk while gagged? She wanted to escape, but there was no escape this time. Even if she could break free, she couldn’t walk straight. Her balance still felt atrocious, tipping her and making her limbs move too far. I shouldn’t have come here!

I had nowhere else to go.
this is nice and close, it's pulling me along now.

The man laughed and said something to the mob. They beganbut haven't they been doing so all along? screeching words and pointing at her. What was happening? What were they saying? With obvious glee the man ripped away Chloe’s upper clothing to reveal her naked breasts and arms. Winter bit her skin, forcing a gasp from her. She wriggled harder – embarrassed, scared – knowing it was useless yet not knowing what else to do, but her efforts only encouraged the crowd. Their shouting became a chant of one word that sounded like “aabwelayba”.

The man seized her upper arm and the crowd went wild. He seized the same place on her other arm, shouting, and stabbed fingers into her skin. Laughter and yells rang out, and Chloe wanted to scream. What did it all mean? Why her arms?

More people had gathered to watch, as if this were some sick form of entertainmentisn't it? . Three more guards appeared, one in a taller helmet than the others, richly detailed and gleaming. With no hindrance they moved towards her, and as the leader took his place on stage, he glanced at Chloe, then nodded.

The noise died. The crowd’s gaze turned to the cauldron. She fought against her head strap to see what was happening, but it wouldn’t budge. Beside her she heard a loud hiss.

Another man waddled into view, plump and greasy. He held a poker with a shaped end covered in steaming, bubbling black slime, like a branding iron. It smelled of torture and death.

The man ripped her gag free, grinning in a way that froze Chloe’s tongue. He spoke, but all she heard was the bubbles popping on the iron’s tip. He stood back, held up the iron to delighted, silent eagerness—

The end was thrust toward her forehead. I think here, you could hold this moment a little longer. Perhaps a new paragraph?Before it crackled against her skin, the man lurched sideways and his poker clattered to the floor. The head guard had ploughed into him. A commotion began then, with the mob looking as confused as Chloe felt. The head guard stared at her, all hard lines and weathered skin. She dared not move, didn’t have time to feel embarrassed about her nakedness. He spoke in that same foreign tongue, face expectant.

Chloe released the breath she’d been holding. It sounded monolithic in the silence. She was supposed to speak, but if she said the wrong thing…? She wanted to hide, not talk. Her words stalled a few times.

‘I… I came to help the man.’

‘Ing-lish,’ he repeated, rolling the word over his tongue as though tasting it. He punched the pole above Chloe’s head, then shouted something – it could have been a swear word – before he shoved the chubby man off the platform to tumble onto the crowd.

Chloe expected to be struck. The guards looked nervous, too, shuffling their feet and looking between each other. Suddenly, she was untied and tossed her rag. As she held it around her, the head guard dragged her back the way she had come. They left behind an uproar from the spectators, who were whispering and staring at Chloe with a newfound gleam in their eyes.

She couldn’t stop shaking. What had just happened?​
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. It's maybe me, and my reading type -- I don't read epic fantasy much for much this sort of reason (except Sanderson who seems to handle crowd scenes well). I couldn't follow who was doing what and when. The continuity seemed to be dragged out -- shouts -- dragged in front of crowd --more shouts (which made me wonder why they shouted before if they couldn't see her) dragged to platform -- strapped -- more strapping -- crowd shouted -- although they already were -- man approached -- another man approached, a different one (and I couldn't understand why it needed to be a different one with the brand instead of the same one who'd felt her arms), and then I sort of melted into confusion. Sorry.

To my mind, this needs less. Less this happened, then this, then this. Is there anyway to simplify the series of actions? Like only having one man instead of two, or like the crowd seeing her at the same time as they start shouting. But it may just be my little confused mind.

The opening reads as stronger, but the gag seems to be a problem, IMO.

An early line compares the gag to a noose, but a noose goes around the neck, and a gag around her mouth.

You also mention the gag a few times, yet repeatedly have her trying to talk. The result is that we, as readers, know exactly what she's trying to say, while also being aware that no one is going to hear her say anything but gobbledegook - as you make it clear these men are practised in what they are doing, and they obviously gagged her to stop her talking. Yet she is heard to speak English? I would put this down as a potential contradiction.

IMO, the scene would be stronger with less of us hearing what she's trying to say, and less repetition of the fact she's gagged, and instead a focus on her fears and experience and sense of vulnerability. That would also give her outburst more impact at the end, because that's the key to the scene but it's diluted by her earlier protests that no one can actually hear. I would also shorten the stage scene as it's dragging a little for me at the moment. Maybe simply removing her strangled cries might do that?

2c.

Okay. So it appears the idea of a scene with minimal character experience doesn't work as I'd hoped. I thought her fear and not-with-it-ness was evident in her struggles and speech (though she couldn't actually say much since she had a gag... until the man removed the gag, near the end), but apparently not - eep. I'd gone about the scene the wrong way, thinking a scene with not much character was the best approach in the character's state. But that seems to distance readers...

I'm hacking away what I can, and I've removed Chloe's attempts at speaking, since yes, she couldn't be understood anyway, with the gag, and since I like Brian's suggestion of lessening the confusion. The only time she speaks now is when her gag is removed near the end. I've also shown that there's a main man on stage, who's riling and directing the crowd's aggression before Chloe is dragged into view. Fingers crossed!

And if I decide the gain is worth sacrificing the scene's length, I might add more character thoughts, if they will better show her confusion and fear.

Thanks, all. Maybe now I'll see the scene as an instrumental scene rather than an instrumental transition between the more important scenes. :)

This might be one of those occasions where we can't properly judge because we're reading out of context. A scene with minimal character experience could really work if it was clearly different to what came before, and if we were already engaged with her, we would care deeply about what was happening here.

I think this could be a very powerful scene and you're right that it's a waste to treat it simply as a transition.

If this were me, I would leave the scene for now and come back to it later when the comments have had a chance to sink into the ooze of my writing mind (and possibly also when I'd got someone to read the whole thing -- see above!).

While generally agreeing with Brian I still think this was just about perfect. I see only one problem, and that is caused by the lack of context.

What had she done with the knife that she was sorry for?

Also, she makes several statements before the guard recognizes she's speaking English. If it's so very important I would think just the first few words might be enough. However, that could be due to the fact they were muffled and drowned out by the shouting crowd.

Very powerful scene overall though. I do wish we had seen the full context and would definitely read more.

Oh. And congrats on 3000

i think this is a good opening. i won't comment on the grammar etc as others have done so, and probably know more than me, but just a couple of things bugged me that haven't already been mentioned:

so she did use the knife? so really she isn't innocent? it seems a bit contradictory for her to claim her innocence and then in the same breath admit to doing whatever she thinks she is being tortured for. maybe instead of "i'm innocent" use "i didn't mean to" or "it was an accident" or something

also, this is the first mention of the knife and i think it would be good to see it earlier on, maybe here:

Something rough and bitter was keeping her mouth open, tied tightly as a noose around her head. She was slapped again, harder, and gripped on the chin until she focused on the stocky man ahead. It took a moment before she realised a gang of guards crowded her. Memories of the last two days slammed home – a man with dead eyes, a snowy wasteland, a crowd surging at her. That damned knife. The nightmare was real. She struggled and mumbled protests – her voice sounded slurred even without the gag. The men laughed and spoke to one another, eyes hard. There was a cacophony of shouts and chattering in the distance.

just my thoughts. take them with a grain of salt because, as you'll see from my prologue that i'm about to re-post, i'm struggling a bit with my opening!

Status
Not open for further replies.