'Easter Eggs' in films

Gramm838

Easter Eggs is apparently then name for in-joke props in films where they have no business being -such as R2-D2 is in ST: Into Darkness, Close Encounters and various other films.

So what others can we identify? Mine would be the pod from 2001 Space Odessy in the Tatooine scrapyard scenes in SW:phantom Menace

Serenity makes an appearance in Battlestar Galactica

Don't know if these count but Hitchcock always made an appearance in his films. I always try and spot him.

Stan Lee does the same thing in Marvel adaptations.

You could argue that they both have no business being there and are, therefore, easter eggs:)

Not a film, but a TV series, if that nearly counts: in the credit sequence of The A-Team, Face is on a film set, watches a Cylon walk by and makes a kind of "Hey!" expression -- Dirk Benedict also played Starbuck in the original Battlestar Galatica.

Lucas and Spielberg are known for their 'inside' jokes like club Obi-Wan in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or the hieroglyphs of R2 and 3PO in the Well of Souls in Raiders of the lost Ark. In Star Wars Attack of the Clones there are tie fighters chasing X-Wings during the Coruscant chase sequence.
There is also one more easter egg in that movie, although I can not confirm it; it's an audio easter egg when Anakin jumps out of the speeder to catch the assassin in that same chase. As Anakin is free-falling like Wiley E. Coyote, I swear I hear a meep-meep, not a beep beep like from a horn, but a meep-meep like from the road runner. It makes sense in the context of the scene but I sure would like someone else's opinion on that.
Oh yeah, one more in Attack of the Clones, Jango Fett bumps his head walking into Slave-1 just like the Stormtrooper bumped his head in the original Star Wars film entering the Death Star control room where the droids were hiding.

Older films (OK 70's/80's) were rife with props being re-used so it was quite common to see the main spacecraft from one film appear in traffic in another. Not intentional so not really easter-eggs as intended here. By the time of Firefly and the new BSG it's intentional - maybe a homage to earlier times?

Pixar films always have the number A113 somewhere. It's the number of a classroom at a California school/college where most of the original crew studied Art of some form or another.

Lucasarts stuff all seems to include the number 1138. I never found out why. Was THX1138 the original or does the number have some other significance for George Lucas?

A friend swears that in the original Star Wars when the rebel fleet is assembled to attack the Death Star one of the X-Wings in the background is actually a trainer. Also that at one point in the hangar on Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back Chewbacca is dancing and "singing" Night Fever in the background as the actor didn't realise they were filming and no-one realised until editing at which point it was deemed not noticeable enough to go back and re-film the scene. Of course stuff like this is digitally edited out of later releases nowadays - and one of my sister's ex's never returned my VHS copies of the original films which would be my best chance of catching these.

Iain

Indeed it does, and there's an Imperial Shuttle in the pilot episode of Firefly.

I didn't know that and will definately look out for it.

1Brooks, THX1138 was the registration plate on George Lucas's first car. I guess it must have had some sentimental value.

Apparently, the Millennium Falcon makes an appearence in Blade Runner and Star Trek: First Contact.

Hi,

If you want Easter eggs try the opening sequence of Trippin The Rift. It's got most of the big sci fi movies from 2001 to Star Wars and Star Trek. Of course it does rip most of them off pretty much every epp.

Cheers, Greg.

Back