October - Horror Month (2013)

Well, I've launched into horror month slightly early and started with a story by Algernon Blackwood: "The Empty House". A rather conventional, yet chilling ghost story in which two characters get a chance to stay overnight in a haunted house.

I think, though, that the nature of the spectre actually adds a layer to this particular haunting....

Finished The King in Yellow; the final two stories certainly have nothing of the weird or terror about them, but are enjoyable if not particularly exceptional pieces dealing with romantic themes.

I've also now begun another collection by Chambers, which (again) I read some thirty-plus years ago: The Maker of Moons (1896). It is a rather different sort of thing (so far) from The King in Yellow, in that the writing is less lyrical and/or hallucinatory, more straightforward and simple; and though there remains a certain dream aspect to the first story -- the title piece -- it is more in the nature of a strange adventure. I'll not give anything away here, but I will say that I found it to still hold up after all this time... and that it, too, reminds me a bit of A. Merritt in certain aspects... not the writing, but rather certain motifs and images. Am now working on the second tale, "The Silent Land", which so far continues in this vein....

The one fantasy element I noticed in "The Street Of The First Shell", and I admit it's a tenuous one, is the mist Trent encounters on his way to the front which functions as a sort of veil between the depraved but survivable world tucked away from clashing armies and the all encompassing viciousness of face to face combat. There's nothing in the mini bio of Chambers in my Ace paperback to suggest he ever experienced the battlefield but he writes about it as if he were born dodging bayonets. I did not expect a description of the ugliness of war written in the 1890s to be so realistic or emotionally charged. Perhaps this is the horror more repugnant than supernatural evil. The vision of Unlans flitting about like "ghosts in the vapors beyond" and hussars which "passed and repassed like phantoms" in a venue where confusion is the indispensable aide-de-camp to unbridled violence made me feel like a survivor when I closed the book for the night. And I haven't finished the story yet!

The one fantasy element I noticed in "The Street Of The First Shell", and I admit it's a tenuous one, is the mist Trent encounters on his way to the front which functions as a sort of veil between the depraved but survivable world tucked away from clashing armies and the all encompassing viciousness of face to face combat. There's nothing in the mini bio of Chambers in my Ace paperback to suggest he ever experienced the battlefield but he writes about it as if he were born dodging bayonets. I did not expect a description of the ugliness of war written in the 1890s to be so realistic or emotionally charged. Perhaps this is the horror more repugnant than supernatural evil. The vision of Unlans flitting about like "ghosts in the vapors beyond" and hussars which "passed and repassed like phantoms" in a venue where confusion is the indispensable aide-de-camp to unbridled violence made me feel like a survivor when I closed the book for the night. And I haven't finished the story yet!

Yes, there are elements in that story which border on the fantastic in feel, at least, though I personally don't think they are intended as genuinely fantastic elements so much as examples of the artist-protagonist's impressionistic imagination responding to the chaotic world around him. Still, it works very well with the stories which have preceded it.

As those who have looked at the thread on the Wordsworth editions know, I have serious problems with David Stuart Davies for a number of reasons, but there is a passage in his introduction to this particular collection which you may find of interest:*

As we move further into the book and the section that features the stories set in France, the supernatural elements fade away. However, we still have the themes of the danger of too much knowledge, and of innocence threatened and protected. The stories are loosely connected but not presented in any sort of chronological order. "The Street of the First Shell" is an impressionistic account of the siege of Paris in 1870. One wonders whether Chambers had a reason for arranging the book in this way. After all the first story in the collection looked forward to a futuristic New York and now here we are dealing with historical reality, albeit presented in a fairly surreal fashion. Perhaps in these inconsequential time-shifts Chambers wanted to show how evil ripples out from a centre, never entirely vanishing, but at times diminishing and being conquered by love. As the critic William McClain observed: 'As dark as [Chambers'] vision may be, hope and love are never absent.'

Which also points to a continuance of thematic links between various stories in the volume which may not strike readers approaching it strictly as a "book of horror stories".

Incidentally, for those interested, this is an extremely influential book of tales, as can be seen from the following portions of Wikipedia's entry on the volume:

The King in Yellow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*Mind you, given his penchant for regurgitating the work of various literary scholars and critics without any attempt at crediting most of them rather than giving the impression the thoughts are his own, I don't know whether this is an original to him or not; but, giving him the benefit of the doubt, I find it to be an insightful comment on the Latin Quarter stories in particular.

Well, Stephen Gregory's "The Perils & Dangers of this Night" was a good introduction to the author; seems I have discovered yet another great contemporary author of horror.

I felt this story had a superbly crafted atmosphere and gradual build up of tension but I felt it was let down slightly during the climax that felt overly drawn out and excessively gory. But I will definitely try more of his work.

"As we move further into the book and the section that features the stories set in France, the supernatural elements fade away. However, we still have the themes of the danger of too much knowledge, and of innocence threatened and protected. The stories are loosely connected but not presented in any sort of chronological order. "The Street of the First Shell" is an impressionistic account of the siege of Paris in 1870. One wonders whether Chambers had a reason for arranging the book in this way. After all the first story in the collection looked forward to a futuristic New York and now here we are dealing with historical reality, albeit presented in a fairly surreal fashion. Perhaps in these inconsequential time-shifts Chambers wanted to show how evil ripples out from a centre, never entirely vanishing, but at times diminishing and being conquered by love. As the critic William McClain observed: 'As dark as [Chambers'] vision may be, hope and love are never absent.'" David Stuart Davies

When I first read this I wanted to say something, then decided against it, then thought about it again, then told myself no way. But I'm still thinking about it and it seems to me any competently edited horror anthology could make the same point without hard to follow hallucinatory vignettes or genre hopping. As anyone who has ever been introduced to the school yard bully knows evil is manifest and its manifestations legion.

When I first read this I wanted to say something, then decided against it, then thought about it again, then told myself no way. But I'm still thinking about it and it seems to me any competently edited horror anthology could make the same point without hard to follow hallucinatory vignettes or genre hopping. As anyone who has ever been introduced to the school yard bully knows evil is manifest and its manifestations legion.

A couple of points: The edition Davies/Wordsworth put out was simply a reprint of the original collection, published in 1895; it was not a selection by Davies himself; hence it is exactly as Chambers himself intended it to be.

Also, collections of short stories didn't necessarily have genre boundaries until relatively recently... unless both the author and publisher/editor agreed upon such. Thus John Buchan's The Runagates' Club runs the gamut from suspense to slice-of-life to terror tales to comedy, depending on what his various narrators -- who are all resting at a sanatorium and telling each other tales of their experiences -- has to say. In this case -- and, in fact, in other of Chambers' collections, there is no intent to focus on horror or terror, but rather to relate an at best loosely connected set of tales; sometimes related by theme, sometimes by recurring characters, but almost never by "genre"... something which in itself was seldom considered until the rise of the pulp magazines and their tendency to specialize. Due to this, we get a selection of Chambers' work in different areas, which makes for (to me, at least) a rather interesting salmagundi. It won't, however, be to everyone's taste...

And... The Maker of Moons is just such a collection. The first two tales have distinctly fantastic elements, though the endings of both may frustrate many readers as they indicate that each tale was told by the same author inventing a tale; a shattering of the illusion, as it were... and yet, it seems to me that this "shattering" is almost deliberately not quite successful, leaving the reader questioning whether it is the ending or the story itself which is the genuine article... the ending perhaps being a sort of "whistling past the graveyard"....* At any rate, following those two, the third story (which is also related by the same narrator, under a different name, and involves the same woman -- his wife Ysonde) is a different sort of thing altogether; a romance told with a mixture of tongue-in-cheek or ironic humor and pathos. The following stories are a mixed bag; all pleasant enough, but scarcely memorable... until the final two tales. "A Pleasant Evening" has something of that hallucinatory feel that some of the stories in The King in Yellow have, and it may be seen as an odd sort of mystery/murder tale, or a ghost story, or... Whatever it is, I found it oddly compelling and haunting, though it, too, has a faint touch of the surreal such as one finds in "The Street of the Four Winds". I understand that the final tale, "The Man at the Next Table" is a ghost story, though it has been so many years since I last read the collection that I don't recall anything about it. I do know, however, that it has received some praise as being a very effective tale... and this is what I'll be tackling just before bed tonight.

I have also begun rereading Dudley Wright's The Book of Vampires (a.k.a. Vampires and Vampirism), which is a nonfiction look at the prevalence of the vampire legend throughout history around the world. Again, it has been a loooong time since I last read this, but it is told in an easy, flowing style which is both entertaining, informative, and at times quite atmospheric....

*Incidentally, there is a reference which makes these stories almost related to the earlier volume, as in the second tale two characters begin to recount a story to one of the others, beginning "There was once a King in Carcosa".... This certainly adds to the blurring of boundaries within the tale.....

Good info. Thank you. Loose connections may disrupt the flow of power in electricity but has no effect in these tales. I like Chambers' story telling and think I'll pick up one his historical novels a bookstore in town has on their "old books" cart. Revolutionary tale but can't recall the title.

Good info. Thank you. Loose connections may disrupt the flow of power in electricity but has no effect in these tales. I like Chambers' story telling and think I'll pick up one his historical novels a bookstore in town has on their "old books" cart. Revolutionary tale but can't recall the title.

I'll be interested in what you have to say about such. From what I understand -- and what little of his "mainstream" fiction I've read -- it isn't that impressive; very much "best-seller" sort of hackwork... but there might be some of them that aren't, and if so I'd like to know....

On "The Man at the Next Table"... I had that one confused with the description of a quite different tale from another collection: "The Messenger" from The Mystery of Choice, which I've not read. "The Man at the Next Table" was anything but a weird tale in the sense of eeriness, though it qualifies as fantastic as it deals with the transmigration of souls, albeit in a distinctly humorous fashion....

Finished Dudley Wright's Book of Vampires. It had been so long that I'd forgotten that the bulk of the book is simply a compendium of beliefs from all over the world about the vampire; what thesis there is, is extremely thin (he, like Montague Summers, gives credence to the idea that vampires actually exist)... but it was nonetheless an enjoyable and interesting read, and very fitting for this time of year.

Have now begun reading Karloff's anthology, ... And the Darkness Falls; a book which I had begun once before, only getting a handful of stories in before things got extremely crazy, and I never got back to it. Hoping nothing like that happens this time.

Well, Stephen Gregory's "The Perils & Dangers of this Night" was a good introduction to the author; seems I have discovered yet another great contemporary author of horror.

I felt this story had a superbly crafted atmosphere and gradual build up of tension but I felt it was let down slightly during the climax that felt overly drawn out and excessively gory. But I will definitely try more of his work.

I read that a few years ago and had a similar feeling: Something about the end didn't quite work as well as the build-up. And I think you're right in calling it drawn-out.

The reason I read this in the first place was that I had already read The Cormorant and while I'd be hard pressed to say I enjoyed it, I was struck by it; it's a powerful and unsettling novel.

Randy M.

Finished "The Golem" by Gustav Meyrink. I have to say that it's not really a horror story as such although it definitely could be classed as a weird/strange tale.

I've been reading a few more stories from Algernon Blackwood's "The Empty House and Other Ghost Stories" and I have to say that I'm finding it more conventional than his other collections I have read. I think his exploration of supernatural themes became far more sophisticated later on. Perfectly good ghost stories here, mind you.

"Who Knows?" by Guy de Maupassant. Possibly Maupassant's last story and it's a bizarre one. Don't want to spoil it for anyone but I don't think the protagonist is insane. Sorcery is the most likely culprit here, responsible for the unbelievable nocturnal antics reminiscent of those old 1930s, 1940s cartoons where dishes, silverware and other sundry inanimate objects sprout human limbs and boogey around the kitchen. Enough to give the adult nightmares and the child delight.

Finished Sturgeon's "Some of Your Blood" and it wasn't the horror novel I thought it was going to be and it's not the "straight crime" novel that the blurb on the front claimed it to be. In fact I'm not really sure how to classify it but maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

There were elements of horror, there's a kind of non supernatural notion of a vampire here, and there are crimes but this doesn't start with the crime and then try to work out who did it, rather it starts with the perpetrator and then tries to find out what it is he did (and why).

Continuing with "The Empty House & Other Ghost Stories" I am definitely concluding that this is Blackwood not yet at the height of his powers.

In "The Wood of the Dead" we see a wonderfully evoked sense of time and place in a lost corner of the English countryside (Sommerset/North Devon) with a lurking nebulous, numinous presence but the plot itself felt a little flat.

In "The Suspicious Gift" we see an eerie and mystifying tale that developed well only to run into "it was all only a dream" cliché ending.

I finished rereading Tales of Horror and the Supernatural by Arthur Machen and haven't really dived into anything else since. I have read the first two stories in the anthology House of Fear (ed. Jonathan Oliver) and enjoyed them, the first by Lisa Tuttle and the second by Stephen Volk.

Randy M.

Seems my horror month has come to an end already (and it's not even Halloween yet!) as I got through my selection of books too quickly...

I got through my selection of books too quickly...

Wish I had that problem. I'm still working on a pile I was supposed to have finished by last spring... that's bigger now than it was at this time last year. :( And I'm not sure I'll get to the Bloch/Martin this month after all. Still possible, though, I suppose.

Finished GHOSTLY BY GASLIGHT and have just enough time for a shorty before the big day, er, night, next week. I know, I know, of all the eligible candidates, why:

but what can I say. I wanted something blatantly Halloweeny, not something to make me ponder all the protean perimeters of reality and reality plus. Not that the Man Of Bronze bereft of challenges. In another Doc Savage adventure I breezed through a few years ago Mr. Robeson let the flavor of the era seep through by referring to Eskimos as "blubber eaters." Now, early as page 3 of the above when the railroad porter, before we are informed of his racial heritage, makes this description of the Doc, "Man, he am de bigges' fella yo' evah laid yo' eyes on!", I had to look over my shoulder to make sure no one was sneaking a peak. If you can mentally blot out the blessedly occasional nonchalant racism these things can be fun.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Horror 10
Fried Egg Horror 35
Fried Egg Horror 27
Fried Egg Horror 30
Fried Egg Horror 83