Star Wars: Rebels

I read on Google Plus that Disney are planning to wind this down to persue other directions.

Holy **** Admiral Thrawn has become canon.

d9ggzodjku6b58ym6tqv.png

Holy crap. Rebels has a new Big Bad, and it’s an old Big Bad—Grand Admiral Thrawn, the brilliant Imperial military commander who took over the remnants of the Empire in the old Expanded Universe, as revealed in the very first EU novel trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

Some things to note: 1) He’s definitely referred to as “Grand Admiral.” 2) There’s no mention of anything else from Heir to the Empire or the other two books of the trilogy, so don’t go think those novels have suddenly been added wholesale to the new canon. 3) He’s being voiced by Lars Mikkelsen, brother of Rogue One star Mads. 3) Timothy Zahn sent a video message giving his full approval. Nice!

Update: Zahn is writing a new Star Wars novel titled—wait for it—Thrawn, due 2017. This isn’t just a cameo, guys.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/grand-admira...utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Last edited:

Admiral Thrawn, Droid Army, Rex going to battle against the last droid army, the Black sabre AKA the Darksabre, more Mandalorians, Ezra being thought by Maul, revealing of the grey jedi's .... this is going to be so epic! Note also there's also connections to the upcoming movies! This is going to be an excellent season.

Those who don't know, the Black Sabre was last time featured in the Clone Wars. It is one of the rarest sabre's in the existence. Also Ezra wielding green sabre signifies that he's more into tune of learning force powers than giving into the darkness of Sith kind.

Here's a quote from wookiepedia in regards of the light sabre colours:

Around 4000 BBY, lightsabre crystals were used to indicate a Jedi's chosen class. Blue indicated a Jedi Guardian, a Jedi who used the Force on a more physical level. Green indicated a Jedi Consular, a Jedi who preferred to reflect on the mysteries of the Force and fight the dark side at its heart. Yellow indicated a Jedi Sentinel, a Jedi who honed their skills in a balance of combat and scholarly pursuits.

This distinction fell out of practice in later years when most Jedi used blue or green crystals from Ilum Caves based on personal choice, and then the use of crystals coming from various source worlds became marginal. Purple, yellow, and orange crystals were still used by some Jedi until the fall of the Jedi Order, but they were exceedingly rare, and often passed down through generations. During the Galactic Civil War, the Galactic Empire banned trade and possession of all lightsaber crystals. No longer having Ilum crystals at their disposal, Jedi of the New Jedi Order favored the use of various crystals and gems, creating lightsaber blades of multiple colors.

The synthetic crystals, favored by users of the dark side for their offensive properties, were impregnated with the negative energies of their creators which gave to the crystals their red color; the majority of the Sith and Dark Jedi wielded crimson-bladed lightsabers, though colors similar in hue to red, such as orange and magenta, were not unheard of.
Lightsaber crystal

f3N1AdH.jpg

"This lightsaber was stolen from your Jedi Temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic. Since then many Jedi have died upon its blade. Prepare yourself to join them!" - Pre Vizsla to Obi-Wan Kenobi

Once held by the Jedi Order, during a period of collapse in the Galactic Republic's power, the Darksaber was stolen by members of the Mandalorian warrior clans. Over time, the black lightsaber was passed down through generations of the Vizsla clan, and when Tor Vizsla founded the radical Mandalorian splinter group known as the Death Watch, he chose the Darksaber as the symbol of his authority as the sect's Secret Mandalore.
Darksaber (lightsaber)/Legends

HP2S3RC.jpg

"Because we were willing to die for our cause, we became the Death Watch, led by the Secret Mandalores. To ensure we would be led by the most powerful, we decreed that any warrior could challenge the Secret Mandalore for leadership of Death Watch. And as our symbol of authority we chose the Darksabre, an ancient weapon liberated from the Jedi long ago. ―Tor Vizsla, on the iconic significance of the Darksabre

Here's the Rebels Panel on 480p.

There was a clitch in the stream and disney cocked up the record, so there's a five minute video pause in the replay, while the audio carries on and so on.

Last edited:
This is a nice surprise.

Tom Baker - still, for many, the Doctor - has nabbed a recurring role in Star Wars Rebels season 3. The Doctor Who legend was announced among the cast for the third season of Disney XD's animated show at Star Wars Celebration London over the weekend.

DoctorWho.tv confirmed the news online, letting fans who couldn't make the event know that Mr Baker "is set to play the mysterious Bendu - a character that uses the Force but is neither Sith or Jedi."

Rebels showrunner Dave Filoni is a big fan of Baker's Who work, and described the geek icon as "bigger than life". Bendu, Filoni promised, will make a "big difference" to the show.

Baker's Bendu will debut in the first episode of Star Wars Rebels season 3. We'll bring you more news as we hear it, and in the meantime, here's some other cool info...
Star Wars Rebels season 3: Tom Baker joins voice cast

If I have understood Bandu correctly. He's the humongous creature Kanaan speaks to in the trailer and he's represents the middle path in Force alignment. He might teach Kanaan about what it means to become someone like Ashoka. But I doubt he'll be teaching Ezra anything.

This is great news. I understand that Timothy Zahn will also be writhing a Thrawn book.

Reactions: ctg
wEnLhow.jpg

I just cannot get enough of Maul. Maybe he's same thing to me, as what Millenium Falcon is to Rodders. Although I would absolutely love to find out what happened to Ventress.

Filoni wants fans to remember that the battle the Rebels are fighting against the Empire doesn’t end with A New Hope. Nor does it end with Return of the Jedi. That means Rebels, hypothetically, could go on for a very long time, parallel with the movies.

“We have surmised, over the years, that the Rebellion isn’t technically over until Return of the Jedi and even then there was some additional fighting that lead up to Jakku,” Filoni said, referring to some new canon material released last year. “So when is the ultimate victory that would mean Hera and company are free of the fight? Well, it doesn’t seem to be for a long time. So it’s not impossible and there are probably a lot of stories, I’m just gonna try and tell the most important ones for them, what their saga is, and probably not every saga ends on the same day.”
http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-rebels-showrunner-talks-thrawn-ezra-and-th-1783929642

Well, he has been used by so many that it's no wonder why he's still quite bitter.

I like the notion that he not on anyones side but his own. He's almost an antihero.:)

A jedi could have never been able to do this. Not while they're so pure with everything they do, but in the terms of effectiveness, what Ezra does in the clip is perfect. And he does it without sacrificing his team mates, or do something flashy that we would have expected from the Jedi, he just reaches pilots mind and take in control his mind to execute the opposition.

Some people would have speculated that Ezra is becoming Starkiller. But that would mean he would go and leave Rebels to become Vader's apprentice. Somehow I doubt it will happen, unless Admiral Thrawn forces Ezra to do such thing.

A jedi could have never been able to do this. Not while they're so pure with everything they do, but in the terms of effectiveness, what Ezra does in the clip is perfect. And he does it without sacrificing his team mates, or do something flashy that we would have expected from the Jedi, he just reaches pilots mind and take in control his mind to execute the opposition.

Some people would have speculated that Ezra is becoming Starkiller. But that would mean he would go and leave Rebels to become Vader's apprentice. Somehow I doubt it will happen, unless Admiral Thrawn forces Ezra to do such thing.

Interesting take on Ezra given his current interest in the Darkside.