Writing Challenge Statistics

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
Doing the 300 worder stats the other day made me think about the 75 worders which I've shamefully neglected since the first year, and I thought it would be handy to have a dedicated thread for the year end figures, so we have a go-to for those of us geeky enough to be interested.

Chrispenycate has dropped details -- and pdfs -- of his charts into threads from time to time, and Moonbat made some incredible graphs back in March 2012, but I'm not sure how to copy and paste attachments across, so if either gentleman wants to add to this thread, and/or someone else can do the necessary, please do.

I've got my own tables drawn up, and though they aren't nearly as comprehensive as Chris's since I don't include voters, I'll attach them in my year end reviews, which I'll set out in the following separate successive posts, to save one long indigestible post here.

And I hope Moonbat doesn't mind my quoting his post from last year:
I hope that people find these as interesting as I do, it is not my intention to upset anyone, and I hope that those of us that have not been as sucessful as Harebrain are not disheartened by any of these. I think it is a testament to the enjoyment that we all receive from partaking in these comps that they have been so sucessful.
And so say I.

Last edited:
75 worder -- Year 1 -- April 2010 to March 2011

As you can see -- if the attachment works -- we had a great opening year with 148 entrants writing 570 stories attracting 606 votes (in the December we had 3 votes each, hence the greater number of votes than stories, which wasn't -- and isn't -- common over the normal one-vote months).

The best month for stories volume-wise was January with 57, which also -- perhaps not coincidentally -- had the greatest number of new entrants, at 17.

16 of us completed all 12 Challenges, and another 5 missed only one month, which was good. As would be repeated in subsequent years, though, most people only took part in one or two Challenges, which is disappointing.

And voting-wise, the year belonged conclusively to HareBrain with two victories -- he was the first person to get a second win -- and a magnificent total of 37 votes. Teresa was snapping at his hare-heels with 33 votes, having appeared in two tie-breaks and coming joint second in a third month, then Hoopy was third with 30 (1 win, 1 lost tie-break and 1 other second place). Mouse and I came equal fourth on 29 votes, then mosaix with 27, stormfeather with 26, alchemist on 23 and chrispenycate on 20.

Attachments

• 2010-11 -- 75 Word Challenge statistics.doc
    296.5 KB · Views: 437
75 Worder -- Year 2 -- April 2011 to March 2012

Year 2 saw the appearance of a lot of new faces to the Challenges -- 85 in all -- among them many who have since become regulars, not least Abernovo, Bowler, Hex and springs.

Unfortunately, we also lost a good number of previous entrants, so the total number over the year came to 151, only slightly up on 2010-11, but -- better news -- those members were writing many more stories, so the total number of entries went way up to 612 even though we had fewer people completing all 12 Challenges (14, and 4 more missing only one month). But with no three-vote month, the total number of votes went down to only 568.

The previous month best of 57 entries was broken 3 times, with 58 and 59 twice. The best month for new entrants was September, with 12.

HareBrain couldn't pull off a second year at the head of the voting leader board, and that honour went to Culhwch with an even more magnificent total of 38 votes, and with two victories and a second place to his name. TDZ came second, with 30 votes (1 win and 2 second places) and HB came third with 28 (and he became the first person to get a third Challenge victory). Moonbat came fourth, with 26 votes and 2 wins to his name, Perp was fifth with 24 votes (no wins, but second place in two successive months), then Teresa with 23 votes and mosaix with 22.

Attachments

• 2011-12 75 Word Challenge statistics.doc
    312.5 KB · Views: 402
75 Worder -- Year 3 -- April 2012 to March 2013

Fewer new entrants for this third year, only 70 overall, and so only another very slight increase in total entrants, to 154. Many more stories, though, to 670, with a stupendous 75 in April, which was also the month with the highest new entrant count, with 15. Things weren't so good later in the year, with only 43 stories in November, and only one newbie coming along in the January. But a better than average number took part in every challenge -- 17 -- and 8, more than usual, only missed one month.

The high number of stories in April led to another 3-vote month, so we ended up with a great 720 votes for the year, which somewhat disguised the fact that in no other month did votes outweigh entries, and in some months the disparity was almost embarrassing (July had 61 stories and only 45 votes).

HareBrain used his big hare-feet to push his way through to head the voting list again, with another win (his fourth -- and again he's the first person to get there), two lost tie-breaks and another second place, but this time he had to share the leadership with Hex, who had a win (her second) and a second place to her credit, each of them achieving 38 votes, but HB getting there with 10 Challenges to Hex's 12. Teresa, with two more second places, came third with 28 votes in only 8 Challenges, then I managed to sneak in with 24 votes. Paranoid marvin came fifth with 23 votes, reiver was sixth with 22, and Perp and TDZ came in equal seventh with 21 -- TDZ taking her turn at achieving two wins in one year.

Attachments

• 2012-13 -- 75 Word Challenge statistics.doc
    371 KB · Views: 444
75 Worder -- Years 1 to 3 inclusive

And so to the cumulative figures for the first 3 years. I chickened out of trying to do a combined sheet showing every month for every person, so if you want one of those, you'll have to cobble it together yourself. What I've done is simply taken the year end total figures and put them together.

What that shows is we've had 303 entrants over the 36 months, giving a grand total of 1852 stories -- not bad when you think that before the Challenges started we weren't sure if we'd manage more than one month or get more than 20 or so entries!

The members who have entered every Challenge is now a very small select group -- Culhwch, mosaix, TDZ, me and Ursa -- with chrispenycate and Parson missing only one month over the 3 years, and HareBrain and Karn missing only two. But well over a third of the entrants -- 128 -- have only entered one Challenge, which is a real shame.

And the Great Leader of the Challenges... HAREBRAIN with a mind-blowing 103 votes and 4 victories in his 34 entries. Teresa is second, with 84 votes, a total which is all the more remarkable as she's achieved that in only 30 entries; I've managed to blag my way in at third with 72, then we have Culhwch and mosaix equal fourth on 68, TDZ on 60, Perp on 57 (in 29 entries), alchemist on 56 (in 28) and Hex rushing up with 52 votes in a bare 21 Challenges. Stormfeather and chrispenycate come in at joint tenth on 48 votes, then digs on 47, Mouse on 43, paranoid marvin and reiver on 42, and Moonbat on 40, Hoopy on 38, Boneman on 36, and Parson on 32, then joint 20th, springs and Ursa on 26.

I'm not sure how comprehensible it will be, but I've also produced a table showing the winners and those coming second, as I thought it might be of interest (if only to those who have won and/or come second...) so that is attached, too. Teresa gets the Pink Taffeta award with 6 second places, though she does have a win to her name; Perp, HB and alchemist are her very lovely bridesmaids, with 3 second places each, though I don't think we need waste any tears on HB in the circumstances... :p

Attachments

• 2010-13 -- 75 Word Challenge cumulative statistics.doc
    555 KB · Views: 473
  • 2010-13 winners.doc
    123 KB · Views: 439
(Am I allowed to post here?)

Very interesting, TJ, that must've taken you ages!

I thought it was only this year that I wasn't very active, but it looks like I was only really active the first year! :( Also, I've entered 19 times in total? Is that all?! I'm gonna have to round it up to 20 then, aren't I!

My chart just got a little out of hand for posting. If anyone should possibly want I copy, I could eMail?

Yep, post any comments, queries, corrections**, whatever, here.

Mouse -- I was surprised, too, that you'd entered fewer Challenges than I'd thought, but I had the same reaction with others, so I was continually going back to check I hadn't missed somebody. I trust you won't stop at 20, though!

springs -- if it's of any consolation, Ursa only just beat you in Year 2 when you joined (he was joint 12th with 13 votes and you were joint 15th with reiver on 12) and you turned the tables in year 3 when you were joint 16th with Abernovo, Brev and TSP with 14 votes.

Chris -- you're still putting everything into the one document? My eyes were glazing over with just 18 columns, so I couldn't cope with more!

** I had a double checking system for numbers, so I'm pretty sure the totals are right, but there is always the possibility that I've made two or more errors which have cancelled each other out and/or put numbers in the wrong row/against the wrong name. If you see or suspect a mistake, let me know. Ta.

This is all very interesting! I have to wonder, though, when the charts including the number of mentions each entrant got for each entry will be published. ;) :p

Yes; interesting stuff. Easily 'scannable' too, which suits how I tend to read data! There's potential here for a great entries>votes ratio bubble-chart here, each with the entrants' avatar. Anyone?

Yes; interesting stuff. Easily 'scannable' too, which suits how I tend to read data! There's potential here for a great entries>votes ratio bubble-chart here, each with the entrants' avatar. Anyone?

Moonbat had a entries/votes graph a while ago.

If Teresa's dress is pink, can I have something different. Lilac, maybe?

You got the 300 worder stats too?
I have. I'll need to make them presentable to the public first, but I'll try and get them done tomorrow.

I have to wonder, though, when the charts including the number of mentions each entrant got for each entry will be published. ;) :p
I look forward to seeing the results of your hard work, Lenny! :D

Actually, a mentions-to-votes chart would be interesting. I've found before now some months I have lots of mentions but barely a vote, as though the story is widely liked but not quite enough for anyone to place it first, whereas other times I've had some votes but hardly any other mentions, so the story really hits the spot with some people but most don't like it at all!

There's potential here for a great entries>votes ratio bubble-chart here, each with the entrants' avatar. Anyone?
I take it you're volunteering?! :p (What is a bubble chart?)

If Teresa's dress is pink, can I have something different. Lilac, maybe?
Buttercup yellow. You'd be beautifull.
Shouldn't it be green? Eau de nil, perhaps. ;)

That's a really cool chart TJ. I see I managed to miss the one month last year where there were 3 votes, that is what I blame my low votes on....

Actually, I entered 11 times with 9 votes so not too bad.

I thought you had the Pink Taffeta award, TJ? Or perhaps it's just because someone *ahem* is always going on about it.... :D

I note that I am the only non-Mod who still has a perfect record -- not sure what to make of that.