Writing Challenge Statistics

Are the statistics from the beginning available? Please, do not do any real work to get this together. I'm just curious.

Yes and no, Parson.

I do have a complete list of everyone who has ever taken part in the 75s showing which year(s) they've entered, and the number of times entered and votes garnered for each of those years and in total. Unfortunately, it's now so large -- there have been 596 entrants up to March 2020 -- I can't work with it in one table let alone post it here. So what I'll be posting in the next few days (once I've wrestled it into shape) is an abridged version omitting those who have only entered once, which brings it down to a more manageable 340 entrants, with a separate table showing the complete totals.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know? If so and it's not apparent on the table I post here, I can let you know separately. That goes for everyone else, by the way. If you want some specific info on the stats, I'll always do my best to answer.

But this is a convenient moment to confirm that since I work on tables not on a spread sheet or anything fancy, I'm running out of room to show each of the years entered plus totals all on one page as I have been doing, so the cumulative figures I'll be posting shortly will be the last time the tables will appear in their current form ie like this (e= entries and v= votes)

2010-11​
2011-12​
2012-13​
2013-14​
2014-15​
2015-16​
2016-17​
2017-18​
2018-19​
2019-20​
total
entries​
total
votes​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​
e​
v​

There are two options for the future. The first is to continue with the stats as they are but instead of showing all the years 2010-11 through to 2019-20 in separate columns as now, they'd be accumulated into "2010-2020 totals" -- so eg the columns might be "2020-21" and "2021-22" then "2010-2020 totals" then the grand totals.

Alternatively, what might be better is to end the cumulative stats here since it's a complete 10 years and start afresh, ie so everyone begins with a clean sheet starting from April 2020 and there would be no figures from 2010-20 included. That would mean those who have joined in the last few years would have an opportunity of leading the boards in future, instead of always being behind simply because they joined Chrons late. Of course, the corollary is that those of us in the Challenges from the beginning would lose all our accumulated votes and our places, so we'd have to prove ourselves all over again!

If anyone has any thoughts on those two ideas, or has a third way, do let me know.

Parson? I have a chart from the beginning, and could pass it over if you-re in any way interested.

Thanks for your replies @The Judge and @chrispenycate. Your honor, I'm not interested in much beside my total votes over the years and the votes I got each year, so I won't need anything special. Chris, I would rather like a chart from the beginning so if you'd be kind enough to send that my way I would enjoy it. I'm guessing that I can handle most any format you might have it in. But (unfortunately) it would not be the first time I'd be wrong about that.

As for your questions Your honor, I am not much concerned about how it goes forward. Maybe starting a new cumulative contest would be best. But, if you are asking for suggestions, maybe listing the top 10? totals from the first 10 years by way of an addendum, or some such, on the new decade would be nice to have.

Yep, your votes each year and the totals are in the table I'll be posting, but meanwhile, here is a preview, just for you!

Attachments

• Parson's stats for the Challenges.doc
    56 KB · Views: 137
...or detable might sound better...

Carry on with the puns it will be straight to jail do not pass go.
Ah, now you can't use benches in gaol as they tend to be be nailed or bolted down.

However, you can make the person go towards the bench rather than the bench towards the person.

Edit: apologies @The Judge for debenching the thread.

A bit later than I'd hoped (blame real life), here is the second part of the Annual Stats: the cumulative figures for the first ten years of the 75 Word Challenges, which ended in March 2020.

75 Worder – Years 1 to 10 inclusive – April 2010 to March 2020

The attached table, showing the members who have taken part in the 75 Worders together with their cumulative figures, is once again an abridged version since it omits those entrants who took part in only one Challenge. As before, though, the separate little table at the end of the list of entrants shows the unabridged totals for the years.

And the figures show that in the ten years of the 75 worders we’ve had a total of 596 entrants – what a pity we didn’t hit 600! – who together produced some 5704 stories accruing 5701 votes. Not bad when we didn't know if the Challenge would run for more than a few months!

The figures also confirm how disappointing the 2019-20 year was, with the worst ever showing in terms of entries, entrants for the year and new entrants, and in terms of votes it only just avoids being equal worst. Not good. So perhaps those of us who have been regular entrants in the past but whose contributions have dropped off somewhat – and I include myself in that – could try and get our act together and take part more often, so that the figures for the Challenge's second decade look a lot better.

Don't forget that taking part not only gives a warm fuzzy glow of achievement, it's also a great way of continuing to improve one's writing. So get Challenging!

And when it comes to regular participants, three members had a 100% record of entering the 75s over the ten years, accumulating a magnificent 120 stories each – mosaix, TheDustyZebra and Ursa major. Close behind, having missed only four Challenges, were chrispenycate and Parson with 116 entries, then came Perpetual Man with 111, me with 108, Culhwch with 106 and johnnyjet, who just failed to make his ton, on 99 entries.

In terms of votes the top twenty at the end of the ten years looks like this:

entries​
votes​
1​
The Judge
108​
236​
2=​
mosaix
120​
226​
2=​
TheDustyZebra
120​
226​
4​
Culhwch
106​
205​
5​
Victoria Silverwolf
88​
190​
6​
Teresa Edgerton
61​
178​
7​
HareBrain
61​
159​
8​
Perpetual Man
111​
133​
9​
Hex
45​
118​
10=​
alchemist
52​
116​
10=​
chrispenycate
116​
116​
12​
Cat’s Cradle
73​
110​
13​
Ursa major
120​
89​
14=​
HoopyFrood
30​
87​
14=​
johnnyjet
99​
87​
16​
Phyrebrat
78​
86​
17​
reiver33
70​
81​
18​
Parson
116​
79​
19=​
Moonbat
59​
77​
19=​
Starbeast
89​
77​

Also attached is the table showing the winners and runners-up over the ten years from which you can see that as well as being joint second as to total votes, mosaix retains the title for having the greatest number of victories with his incredible 11 wins, 8 of them won outright and 3 won on tie-breaks, with TDZ second with 8 wins. Meanwhile, I retain possession of the rather shop-soiled Principal Bridesmaid’s dress having come second a total of 14 times *sob* with Victoria also making regular trips following the winner down the aisle with 11 second places. And while TDZ remains queen of the tie-breaks, having faced four of them and never lost one, I get the tie-break wooden spoon in duplicate having faced the most (6) and also lost the most (4). *double sob*

Next up, when I can sort them out, the 300s to the end of March 2020.

Attachments

• 2010-20 -- 75 Word Challenge cumulative statistics (abridged).docx
    134.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 2010-20 winners -- 75 Word Challenge.doc
    375 KB · Views: 119