Writing Challenge Statistics

I suppose. :)*

pH

*although I'd be more satisfied if I wasn't sharing with three others.

Do you want me to take it away? Because if you're going to fight over it, I can just throw it out now.*

*actual statement I made two days ago regarding leftover pizza. While holding it over the trash can.

Do you want me to take it away? Because if you're going to fight over it, I can just throw it out now.*

*actual statement I made two days ago regarding leftover pizza. While holding it over the trash can.

Very funny, TDZ. :lol:

I'm sure every parent posting on here has similar memories of similar events.

Cool, thanks TJ. If I read the chart right the minimum votes needed to win in any month was 4, and the mean was 6.9. So if you can get 7 votes you have a good chance at the prize (8 months out of 12).

Eek! I've never understood the differences between mean, average and the other one I can't remember (?median??) so I'll have to pass on that!

This year's figures are skewed, though, since we had the three-votes-each month in April, in which the winner (mosaix, naturally!) had 12 votes. So disregarding that one as exceptional, the winning vote tally amounted to: 7, 6, 7, 4, 6, 8, 8, 6, 7, 7, 5 which gives 71 for the 11 months, or about 6.5 averaged/meaned/whatevered.

So yes, getting 7 votes gives you a high probability of winning in a normal one-vote month, but even disregarding Challenges lost on tie-breaks, we've had eight occasions with the member coming second having 7 votes. Also, Cascade got 8 one month and still came second, and Perp has the unenviable distinction of getting 8 votes in successive months and coming second both times!

So the only thing we can say for sure is, you have to get at least one more vote than anyone else, or keep your fingers crossed on the tie-break!

So the only thing we can say for sure is, you have to get at least one more vote than anyone else, or keep your fingers crossed on the tie-break!

Right, time to hatch a cunning plan to hack the site and set poll to auto assign each vote to me.

Oh, I'm typing this out load... bugger... move on nothing to read here.

Nice job, yer honour.

On the 75/300 word thing. I'm hopeless at the 75. I don't have at knack of shoehorning things. But I find the 300 words gives me room to build a character and it works better. So, yep, it's possible to be stronger in one than the other.

I have also been lax about entering (time is my enemy) but I've just popped in a 300 so that's something :)

Nice job, yer honour.

On the 75/300 word thing. I'm hopeless at the 75. I don't have at knack of shoehorning things. But I find the 300 words gives me room to build a character and it works better. So, yep, it's possible to be stronger in one than the other.

I have also been lax about entering (time is my enemy) but I've just popped in a 300 so that's something :)
You're right, Jo. The 75 is all about the story - no room for character. The 300 gives more to play with and half a chance to let the character come to the fore.

The 75 is all about the story - no room for character.

It can be done. I had some very nice comments about one of mine that I think achieved that** (and is probably my favourite of all my entries because it did so), but it got very few votes, so there might be a lesson there.

**I'm sure other people have done it too, but I can only remember mine.

I think every time I say the above I also always get a Judge heckle :D

But yes, I know, that puddle photo is constantly at the back of my brain at the moment so hopefully something will ferment out soon!

Regrettably, those extra votes are far outweighed by the disappointing 110 missing votes, where members who took part in a Challenge didn’t vote in it. Unforeseen circumstances can crop up, of course, and no one is going to be lambasted for occasionally forgetting what date it is and missing the last day for voting, especially if they're new to the Challenge or not taking part regularly.

Does that account for people who don't use all of their votes? I only used 2 out of my 3 on the last 300-worder, for example, as they were my out-and-out faves.

That's not an issue, Alex, so don't worry.

Firstly, the stats given above relate only to the 75 worders, and with the exception of last April there was only one vote per member, so in effect votes and voters are synonymous for the bulk of the year, and for April I specifically looked at the numbers voting, not the votes themselves. Secondly, when I do the same breakdown for the 300s, I'll be looking at the members who did or didn't vote, not specifically how many votes each person cast ie the same as I did for April here. So while I'd always encourage members to use all three votes when available to them -- after all, mine might be the lucky third story! -- it is wholly up to each member how many votes to cast, and if for any reason someone doesn't feel able to choose a story for that third vote, that's fine.

But you're right, I should have made it clear that it was 110 missing voters that is the concern here.

But you're right, I should have made it clear that it was 110 missing voters that is the concern here.

And I never thought about the fact that the # of missing votes might not be the same a the # of missing voters. --- (Parson thou art a dunce! --- But I do know the difference between mean, median, & mode. I'll be happy to teach you your honor, for a small honorarium. :p)

As promised, here are the cumulative figures for the seven years of the 75 Word Challenges. (Seven years! Who’d have thought we’d get this far!)

75 Worder -- Years 1 to 7 inclusive

As last year, the complete table with the total figures for each of the seven years is too large to upload, so I’ve again cut it in two. Part A contains the names of entrants from A-K inclusive, Part B, those of L-Z. Each table ends with the combined totals of both parts. The members shown in bold type are those who have taken part in the Challenges in 2016-17.

So with the further 46 new entrants in 2016-17 we’ve now accrued 494 entrants over the 84 months of the Challenges – a pity we couldn’t have reached our half-millenary within the year! Those entrants have written a grand total of 4151 stories, and have received 4072 votes.

The 4 members named last year with 100% participation – Culhwch, mosaix, TDZ, and Ursa – have maintained their records, and chrispenycate has still dropped only the one month.

The number of members who have entered only one Challenge over the 7 years is now 213, up from 194, so an increase of 19. That’s better than last year’s increase of 25, which is good news, and the percentage of one-timers to total entrants has dropped from 43.3% to 39.3%, which is also good. Let’s see if we can encourage more one-timers to return and get that figure even lower!

And the shock statistic: the Leading Lagomorph is leading no more – HareBrain has been dethroned as the One True Leader of the 75 Worder Challenges. (Though it would be more of a shock if he’d actually entered more than twice in the entire year...)

So, I’ve bundled the bunny out of the way, culling Culhwch while I was at it, to jump into the lead myself. (Well, someone had to do it.) Cul remains in second place, with 165 votes, and HareBrain has dropped to 3rd with 151 votes, but he’s got his in only 58 entries.

TDZ has leapt into 4th place with 145 votes, just keeping ahead of mosaix whose wonderful year has brought him up to 5th place with 142 votes. Another wonderful showing from Victoria has catapulted her to 6th place with 120 votes in 52 Challenges and Hex has advanced to 7th with 118 votes in an incredible 45 entries.

Neither alchemist nor Teresa took part in any Challenges this year, so they’ve fallen to 8th and 9th places with their respective 116 and 115 votes. With 98 votes, Perp is now 10th, Chris p is still 11th with 91 votes, and Jo remains in 12th place with her 71 votes, but she now shares the position with – DRUMROLL – Phyrebrat! (Special enough for you? :p)

With 66 votes from 59 entries, reiver is now 14th, Moonbat is in 15th place with 65, and Bowler has leapt onto the leader board at 16th with 64 votes, pushing paranoid marvin down to 17th with his 60 votes, then comes Ursa in 18th position with 59 votes, ahead of Boneman who is at 19th with 54 votes, despite not having entered at all in the last two years! Parson makes his first appearance in the lists at 20th with 49 votes, at joint 21st Cat’s Cradle and Stormfeather have 48 votes each, and sharing 23rd place with 47 votes apiece are ratsy, DEO and digs.

No new records were set for highest votes in 2016-17, but Hex became the first – and so far only – person to win the 75 worders an amazing 7 times, which she managed with her record-breaking two wins in consecutive months!

As before, I’ve prepared a table showing the winners and runners-up over the 7 years, where the achievements of mosaix and Hex over 2016-17 are shown in their full glory!

And to repeat my usual comment, although I do double and triple check everything, it's all too easy to make a mistake when wrestling with all these figures, especially when introducing new entrants to the tables and moving around those who have changed their names. So if you spot something wrong, just shout!

Attachments

• PART A -- 2010-17 -- 75 Word Challenge cumulative statistics.docx
    55 KB · Views: 265
  • PART B -- 2010-17 -- 75 Word Challenge cumulative statistics.docx
    52.7 KB · Views: 249
  • 2010-17 winners -- 75 Word Challenge.doc
    282.5 KB · Views: 262
As promised, here are the cumulative figures for the seven years of the 75 Word Challenges. (Seven years! Who’d have thought we’d get this far!)

75 Worder -- Years 1 to 7 inclusive

As last year, the complete table with the total figures for each of the seven years is too large to upload, so I’ve again cut it in two. Part A contains the names of entrants from A-K inclusive, Part B, those of L-Z. Each table ends with the combined totals of both parts. The members shown in bold type are those who have taken part in the Challenges in 2016-17.

So with the further 46 new entrants in 2016-17 we’ve now accrued 494 entrants over the 84 months of the Challenges – a pity we couldn’t have reached our half-millenary within the year! Those entrants have written a grand total of 4151 stories, and have received 4072 votes.

The 4 members named last year with 100% participation – Culhwch, mosaix, TDZ, and Ursa – have maintained their records, and chrispenycate has still dropped only the one month.

The number of members who have entered only one Challenge over the 7 years is now 213, up from 194, so an increase of 19. That’s better than last year’s increase of 25, which is good news, and the percentage of one-timers to total entrants has dropped from 43.3% to 39.3%, which is also good. Let’s see if we can encourage more one-timers to return and get that figure even lower!

And the shock statistic: the Leading Lagomorph is leading no more – HareBrain has been dethroned as the One True Leader of the 75 Worder Challenges. (Though it would be more of a shock if he’d actually entered more than twice in the entire year...)

So, I’ve bundled the bunny out of the way, culling Culhwch while I was at it, to jump into the lead myself. (Well, someone had to do it.) Cul remains in second place, with 165 votes, and HareBrain has dropped to 3rd with 151 votes, but he’s got his in only 58 entries.

TDZ has leapt into 4th place with 145 votes, just keeping ahead of mosaix whose wonderful year has brought him up to 5th place with 142 votes. Another wonderful showing from Victoria has catapulted her to 6th place with 120 votes in 52 Challenges and Hex has advanced to 7th with 118 votes in an incredible 45 entries.

Neither alchemist nor Teresa took part in any Challenges this year, so they’ve fallen to 8th and 9th places with their respective 116 and 115 votes. With 98 votes, Perp is now 10th, Chris p is still 11th with 91 votes, and Jo remains in 12th place with her 71 votes, but she now shares the position with – DRUMROLL – Phyrebrat! (Special enough for you? :p)

With 66 votes from 59 entries, reiver is now 14th, Moonbat is in 15th place with 65, and Bowler has leapt onto the leader board at 16th with 64 votes, pushing paranoid marvin down to 17th with his 60 votes, then comes Ursa in 18th position with 59 votes, ahead of Boneman who is at 19th with 54 votes, despite not having entered at all in the last two years! Parson makes his first appearance in the lists at 20th with 49 votes, at joint 21st Cat’s Cradle and Stormfeather have 48 votes each, and sharing 23rd place with 47 votes apiece are ratsy, DEO and digs.

No new records were set for highest votes in 2016-17, but Hex became the first – and so far only – person to win the 75 worders an amazing 7 times, which she managed with her record-breaking two wins in consecutive months!

As before, I’ve prepared a table showing the winners and runners-up over the 7 years, where the achievements of mosaix and Hex over 2016-17 are shown in their full glory!

And to repeat my usual comment, although I do double and triple check everything, it's all too easy to make a mistake when wrestling with all these figures, especially when introducing new entrants to the tables and moving around those who have changed their names. So if you spot something wrong, just shout!

For some reason they don't open properly in Open Office. I don't seem to be able to scroll past the first page.

Were you able to open the first lot yesterday, mosaix? I've done nothing different with these, so I don't know what's gone wrong.

The first two here are doc.x and the last one is just doc, if that makes a difference (whatever it means) but I think I had one of each yesterday, so presumably it would have shown as a problem then, too, if that was it. I can open them all from the download and scroll through them, but I'm a technical ignoramus, so I've no idea what to do to make them readable. Sorry. :(

If anyone can help out here, to make them readable in Open Office, I'd be grateful. Meanwhile, I'll post the last one again here -- see if being in a separate thread helps. (Grasping at straws here.)

Attachments

• 2010-17 winners -- 75 Word Challenge.doc
    282.5 KB · Views: 249