The Crown Tower by Michael J. Sullivan

Heather Myst

I just finished this book which is the beginning to his new series The Riyria Chronicles and it was excellent. Fans of his Riyria Revelations will love this prequel that give you the back history of Royce and Hadrian.

Book two titled The Rose and the Thorn is due out this month so we don't have long to wait for the next book.

Anybody else out there Riyria fans?

I've seen his name come up and checked out Riyia, but the reviews put me off somewhat - even Werthead only gave Revelations 3 stars, which is unusual for him, but his criticisms seem salient:
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/534159-the-riyria-revelations-series-by-michael-j-sullivan.html

However, I just looked up The Crown Tower on Amazon and read the sample:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0356502279/?tag=brite-21

There's far too much dialogue and it slows the story terribly, but I love the details in it - for example, the two touts shouting down each other's taverns. And the fact one of the thugs does not simply hold a stick, but one of hickory.

IMO the details make a story worth reading, so I'm sorely tempted to chase this up now.

The style looks fairly simple - I'm minded of Leiber as an influence - a fun swords and sorcery world - and the lack of macho arrogance is refreshing.

Might have to pick it up. :)

Finished the Crown Tower.

Criticisms:
1. Too much dialogue. To the point of chattiness. It doesn't spoil the story too much, but it does mean points take longer to be made.
2. This isn't a complete novel - it's too focused on bringing two people together, and once done, finishes abruptly after a long set up. Probably works better if you've read the earlier books (which take place long after this).
3. Names! Roman, Celtic, Hebrew and modern names all thrown in almost randomly. And why use an Italian designation for a sword (Spadone) if not set in Italy?

Praise:

1. Hardian and Royce are superb opposites. I've never seen anything like this before and it was very memorable - Hadrian who wants to guilessly help everyone, and Royce who wants to kill all potential witnesses. Comes to a great climax at Tam the Feather's house when Hadrian and Royce argue about letting the family live or not, in front of said family.

These characters are a real strength so would be interested to see more of them, though I would prefer to see the world building tightened a little more. Good fluid story otherwise, though.

I just finished The Rose and The Thorn which is book two of this series and it continues to fill in the back story on Royce and Hadrian. These books are fast paced fun and these characters will stay with you long after you finish the books.