People's views on science fiction

polacks_on_the_moon

Moon Polacks are coming.
(I tried to search for a thread like this, but haven't find anything, so sorry if it exists already)

So what are your experiences with people who are not fans of science fiction? I don't know, maybe it's just my family/friends/enviroment/country/whatever, but I've noticed that there are plenty of people who consider the genre inferior, written and read purely for entertainment and non-intelectual. I read various genres, but it's always been a mistery for me why there are so many people for whom "reading only science fiction" is an offensive term close to "not reading at all".

Several thoughts come to mind.

First of all, we have to admit that much of SF really is unoriginal, poorly written escapist fare, just like any other popular genre. We should also be aware that when we mention SF, most people are going to think of movies, television, and comic books.

In the old days, they used to say "That crazy Buck Rogers stuff." Now they might mention Star Wars or the latest superhero movie. It's hard to point out that you're really talking about LeGuin or Lem.

It might be best to admit that there's a lot of bad science fiction and fantasy out there, but that the best of the field is worthy of being mentioned with the best of any form of literature.

We had a nephew around last weekend - he's only 11 - but it was interesting to see his biases.

Despite loving Marvel films, he didn't want to watch Tangled - because it sounded too girly - or the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie - because he "wasn't into that kind of thing". He's a nice lad and watched them with us anyway.

He enjoyed them so much, he's going to nag his dad to rent Into Darkness when it comes out next week. :D

Now I just have to persuade my girls that they'll enjoy Wrath of Khan ...

My Mum thinks I'm very weird - she said that today - because people who read sci fi are. I was aghast, I am the most normal person I know. :D really. Dull and conformist...

But, yeh, mention sci fi and people go ooooh and look surprised. I don't know if that's partly if I'm female: I don't seem to have such a strong response when I say fantasy. But it's the wider-read genre, I think?

The most common reason for genre readers to tel me is that none of it's real. Piffle, I say. Just wait til the aliens invade...:D

Several thoughts come to mind.

First of all, we have to admit that much of SF really is unoriginal, poorly written escapist fare, just like any other popular genre. We should also be aware that when we mention SF, most people are going to think of movies, television, and comic books.

In the old days, they used to say "That crazy Buck Rogers stuff." Now they might mention Star Wars or the latest superhero movie. It's hard to point out that you're really talking about LeGuin or Lem.

It might be best to admit that there's a lot of bad science fiction and fantasy out there, but that the best of the field is worthy of being mentioned with the best of any form of literature.

Well, I would say that much of LITERATURE is unoriginal and poorly written ;)
I'm happy you mentioned Lem, since I'm from his motherland and it makes me even more frustrated about the way people here view sci-fi. I mean, we have one of the most popular non-english writing authors of the genre, some of his books are obligatory at primary school, so being a member of this nation, everyone who aspires to "well read" should know at least one book of him.
And then you see those "well read" people looking down on you because you like sci-fi :(

The sci-fi genre is akin to country music. There is so much there, but people shrugg it off without out ever listening. Sci-fi is a rich genre filled with concepts my "normal friends" can barely understand when I explain them.

"Most sci fi books are bad with some gems" could be said about every genre of all forms of entertainment. IMO

It makes me like me a bit more to be called weird though.

I would discourage anyone from reading only sci-fi, as there would be so much else that would be missed.

I also think that the science fiction genre is becoming far more tolerant towards women; just look at original Star Trek and then TNG-onwards for a good example of this, or Battle Star Galactica. There is even fantasy now which arguably is targeted more towards women than men, where that never used to be the case. Make something inclusive of everyone and you make it socially acceptable; a bit like what happened with videogaming with the advent of the Playstation.

As for quality of writing - well there is no genre that doesn't have it's share of cliched and poorly-written material.

As for novels purely written for entertainment; that's the whole idea! And anyone who tells you that there is no sci-fi or fantasy that is intellectually challenging obviously doesn't know the genres very well, and their opinions should be dismissed.

We had a nephew around last weekend - he's only 11 - but it was interesting to see his biases.

Despite loving Marvel films, he didn't want to watch Tangled - because it sounded too girly - or the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie - because he "wasn't into that kind of thing". He's a nice lad and watched them with us anyway.

He enjoyed them so much, he's going to nag his dad to rent Into Darkness when it comes out next week. :D

Now I just have to persuade my girls that they'll enjoy Wrath of Khan ...

Ah I love converting people! haha I never " push " but I have a habit of putting things on in the background ans saying " Dont feel pressured to watch this, its just background noise " then I watch with sheer glee as I see my flatmates looking up every now and then until they end up watching the whole thing!

MWUAHAHAHAHA.

Anyway, most people I know are actually really into sci fi. Apart from my boss, who doesnt do thriller, horror, sci fi or action. She seems to think its too violent or loud, or of no intellectual value. I can see why her generation me see it like this, but I always feel like bringing in a DVD boxset for her to consider...

The sci-fi genre is akin to country music.

Take

That

Back!

;)

But seriously, SF is so much more than aliens and ray-guns. And even if it isn't, so what? There's absolutely nothing wrong with entertainment and escapism. I have a depressing, serious job and like to get away from that in my downtime, and no-one should have to apologise for that.

It also irks me when criticism of SF as a genre comes from literary people; proponents of a "genre" which sometimes revels in stories without a story, and unrealistic characters.

(There are very good literary novels, of course. I read one once)

It makes me like me a bit more to be called weird though.

I handle the SF & F section in the county library bookstore. I'm one of just a few guys who volunteer there. Most are women and they call my books the "weird section". I don't mind. This way I get first pick of new donations.

I once bought a tee-shirt at a con in the early 80s, unfortunately now misplaced, that read: Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction. Kinda says it all.

Well, I would say that much of LITERATURE is unoriginal and poorly written ;)

Uh-oh. Now you're hitting one of MY buttons.....*

Seriously, "mainstream" literature -- the contemporary variety, anyway -- often IS as hidebound and poorly written as the worst of the pulps. Literature (capital "L"), on the other hand, seldom suffers from such defects save in isolated spots; it is, after all, what sets the bar for what quality writing is.... And let's not forget that, at least until the early part of the twentieth century, literature as a whole didn't make that much of a distinction between the fantastic and mundane realms of fiction, either. As Lovecraft has put it, "sometimes a curious streak of fancy invades an obscure corner of even the very hardest head", and when you have someone who already has honed their literary abilities to a high degree let loose on this aspect of things, the result is seldom disappointing....

I must say that, in contrast to the sort of attitudes I ran into growing up, and even well into my adult years, what I see as "superior" attitudes concerning sf are almost negligible. It has become too popular (though still not as much so as fantasy) with the general reading public, and as for the film- and television-viewing audience....

My suggestion: introduce them to some of the less conventional aspects of sf. Give them an anthology with the original short story "Flowers for Algernon", by Daniel Keyes, for instance. That one was not only highly popular with the sf crowd, but was reprinted in numerous general literature anthologies as well. Lem, obviously, is another great example. There are far too many examples to mention more than a handful, even if one goes for earlier sf of the 1940s to the 1970s... let alone what has come out since that time, no few of which were on the best-selling lists at different points.

Or you could point to all the academic attention which is being paid to sf these days. Look up a listing of Masters' or Ph.D. theses focusing on the genre in a favorable fashion. Or the fact that a number of critics have pointed out that sf is the mythology for the modern age, for it is able to tackle uniquely modern aspects of the human condition in ways that no other type of literature truly can, in symbolic language that can hit as deeply as does classical mythology at its best.

Or point to the high aspect of its lineage, and mention that such things as Mary Shelley's The Last Man (not to mention such things as Kafka's Metamorphosis, or Čapek's R.U.R.) are often considered among the classics of the field.

These are just a few of the arguments in favor of sf. For myself, I've long come to the conclusion that people who close their mind to any field of literature as a whole are blinkered and (in this facet at least) willfully, stupidly, ignorant. ANY field of literature is largely mediocre to bad (Sturgeon's Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but one doesn't judge by the worst, or even the run-of-the-mill, but by its best, what a branch of literature can be... and on that front, science fiction certainly has no reason to hang its head.....

*Never a thing you want to do. Get me started, and a tactical nuclear missile wouldn't shut me up; ask anyone around here......:rolleyes:

but one doesn't judge by the worst, or even the run-of-the-mill, but by its best, what a branch of literature can be... and on that front, science fiction certainly has no reason to hang its head.....

*Never a thing you want to do. Get me started, and a tactical nuclear missile wouldn't shut me up; ask anyone around here......:rolleyes:

And taking those two statements together, I think that maybe you should have said an anti matter bomb or a disruptor - be at the forefront of destruction. :D

Other than that, I know people who despise all fiction as it has been made up, I've met someone who won't let their kids read or watch Harry Potter because it includes witches and that goes against their Christian principles. I know people who watch sf films and yet poo-poo sf because they don't see the films they watch as being sf.....
I also met someone who judges people by the newspaper they read. When I said I didn't read newspapers, I preferred books he was utterly baffled and had nothing further to say. (I didn't specify what sort of books even, just books.)

All that being said, I think it is good to persuade people to read well written sff. (There've been plenty of threads on here for books useful for converting people.)

I think the genre suffers from its very name. Future Fiction, I think, would be much more fitting.

I belong to a reading group based in the local library. The lists of available books are supplied by the count library service and the group vote every six months on the books for the next six months. I happened, accidentally, to bump into the guy who compiles the list.

"Why is there never any science fiction on the list?"

"Is there any good science fiction?" :eek:

And this is from someone who actually works for the county library service! He did, at my suggestion, include Flowers For Algernon but there's been nothing since. Plenty of historical fiction, plenty of 'journeys', plenty of autobiographies and biographies, some fantasy but no science fiction.

My two cents: When someone makes assumptions about Science Fiction or about you because of what you read that means that you're in the presence of either a snob or a non-reader. I'm likely to say "OK whatever you say." and walk on. They don't know what they're missing.
Mr. Marvin (the Paranoid one) mentioned that the science fiction genre is becoming far more tolerant towards women. I don't think that's at all true. I firmly believe that women, in general, have asserted themselves enough in many societies that they have to be recognized in not only Science Fiction but most genre. Future stories written in the past reflect the past. Assertive women in the workplace and elsewhere do so much more than writers of future events.

I once bought a tee-shirt at a con in the early 80s, unfortunately now misplaced, that read: Reality is for people who can't handle science fiction. Kinda says it all.

That's the kind of t-shirt my dad always wore. I also remember: "I have a hobbit habit" and "Homosuperior"

You definately need to recommend a good sci-fi novel to get them to realise that the genre is worth an attempt. Hitchikers Guide is a good starting point.

Crazy really, because in mainstream media (tv,films and videogames) science fiction is one of the more popular genres. I have to admit that although I do enjoy science fictiion, it makes up only a small percentage of the novels I own.

I'm really out as a SF guy, and I often "preach" about how cool SF is and how the best of it is really thought-provoking and all that. It also helps that I'm a librarian as that gives my rec's a bit more weight, even with friends and family. But I've had more than a few conversations about SF that have gone sideways. One patron who really loved thrillers, mysteries, and absolutely adored Michael Crichton novels was aghast when I tried to rec a few similar SF titles (heavy on the thriller and mystery angle). Her response was, "I don't read that trash."