Fat euphemisms..

AnyaKimlin

Confuddled
That sound at home as the name of a shop in an English Market town. It all started with the tearooms which I called "The Muffin Top."

It's kind of mushroomed - The Osteopath is Lovely Bones, Mechanics is the Spare Tyre, Butcher's is the Pork Beast, Speciality sweet shop is the Sugar Monster, The baker's is called Whale's (The baker is Mr Whale) and there are a couple of othes.

Now I've got a jewellers to name and I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions greatfully received.

No Jeweller's name at the moment, but the local cash-and-carry can be Huge Discounts.

And the Bingo Hall can simply be Wings; the opticians, Big Frames (run by the far-from-sinister Mr Big); the skinny posh priest who wants (unsuccessfully) to be down wiv de yoof, calls himself Lardy Da.

Perhaps, Inner Beauty. As in its what's inside that counts.

Or maybe, Grand Haul.
I will be thinking about this all day now.

Twisted Fancy

Smith's Gold (run by a 5th generation gold smith)

I like the idea of Forever mentioned above. there's a shop here about called Forever Diamonds. they specialize in wedding sets.

Debtors Sparkle has a catchy ring to it. though might put off shoppers.

Interesting. Thank you for your help.

I'm thinking Forever Stones or Chubb's The Jewellers. Do they work? I'd just like not to have to change all the other places now.

I was about to suggest Grossman's Jewellers, but the problem here is not of piling on the fat euphemisms (which may not be the best thing to do, but it's your story), or of the racial profiling of those working in the jewellery trade, but that there is a jewellers of the name, Lance Grossman Designer Goldsmith, in Dublin.

They're spread out over four full novel length stories - the most I've got is two or three of them in one chapter. I might go for Forever Stones. I named the pub the King George - after number 4. Not all of them are as obvious.

Back