True Bladie Story

B Bat

How I Found "Blade Runner" And Fell In Love:
A hundred years ago when Bladie came out, a friend of mine, her boyfriend and I were having a communal, black-leather depression. They were suicidal for their reasons and I was suicidal for mine. We wanted to go out to the movies for a few laughs and find a reason to live. My friend asked her daughter to ask her friends for the name of a good comedy to cheer up three depressed (as it turned out) dolts. Bad idea. The little rats told her to tell us to go see "Blade Runner."
(Place laugh track here.)
To my credit, it did not sound like a comedy to me. We went anyway on the perfect cold and rotten night in New Jersey. When we left that theater (American spelling - live with it), none of us could speak in full sentences. Our brains were fried.

We decide to go for coffee at an all-night diner. All I could manage to say was, "Did you see THAT?" and "Did YOU... SEE that?" over and over with varying emphasis until even I was tired of hearing myself say the same stupid words. We were shaking. Slowly our power to speak returned ... almost. In Jersey we use a lot of expletives. We used every one we could think of in a kind of Luciferian speaking-in-tongues, creating exotic combinations hitherto unknown. Waitresses at New Jersey diners don't blink an eye at creative foul language. "Ready to order?" was all she asked. Good waitress.

I could not watch that film until years later when I blundered upon it on TV. This time I loved it and became a Rutger Hauer thrall. I lived to watch Bladie many times. I confess. I have done questionable things.

Tell me your first experience with Bladie.