Brandon Sanderson creative writing lectures

Rolynd

Ok I hate doing this because there's ALWAYS a thread already that I've missed, but on the slight offchance that there isn't or that some people might not have seen it (I did run a few searches) Brandon Sanderson lectures on creative writing. One term his lectures were filmed and put up on youtube.

Whether or not you like Mistborn or Way of Kings, Sanderson is a very proficient story teller and clearly knows his stuff as you'd expect from a lecturer on the subject. They're divided into bitesize chunks as well, and although a lot of the more experienced guys will probably hear a lot they already know it's easy to find something you might want going over, and they're great for beginners. Check them out via link below and if they've already been dissected somewhere on the board I regret nothing!

Learn | Write About Dragons

Edit: Argh just found it in the writing resources board!! Please delete mods and save my blushes.

It did introduce me to the writing resources board which I hadn't been on for some reason so some good came! I do think they're very good. I think Sanderson is a very technical writer, he knows how to turn a decent idea into a novel. I'm not calling him a hack by any means, I was a fan of mistborn (book 1 especially) and way of kings is looking good.

I do think his writing lacks a little heart maybe? One of the dangers of being so technical about the process I expect. Also found out he opposes gay marriage, which made me sad I have to admit, but its silly to expect writers you enjoy to share views with you just cos you enjoy their stories!

He opposes gay marriage? Brandon Sanderson doesn't look like the type to be a little conservative.

I like his technical writing style because its a little detached. I assume its why I like Hard SF. A little bit more heart in the way of kings would of made the book a bit shorter though.

Different writers have different views in life. Since he is a devout Mormon, his viewpoints are therefore that of a devout Mormon.

A staunch christian who is a writer, will also likely oppose gay marriage.