What's the real date?

I'm beginning to wonder whether I give a fig about the real date.

Ace, isn't the monarch defined by direct descent from Sophia, Electress of Hanover?

Ace, isn't the monarch defined by direct descent from Sophia, Electress of Hanover?

Yes, daughter of Elizabeth, Winter Queen of Bohemia, and grand-daughter of James VI/I.

Both of James' parents were descendants of Robert II (the first Stewart King), who succeeded his childless uncle, David II (Bruce) as King of Scots, because he was the son of Marjory Bruce and her husband Walter Stewart, and grandson of Robert I.

Gramm, it seems rather silly for Roman leadership to make up documentation about someone they executed, isn't it?

So what's the stardate today, anyway?

Not getting into a discussion about whether Jesus ever existed (he didn't), wasn't it the Council of Niceae in the 400's that decided upon the christian calendar - not the Romans?

Apparently todays date according a star trek date calculator is 67116.64...or 10113.07, depending on which series version you go by! :rolleyes:

The calendar currently in use that's nearest to a universal calendar is probably the Julian date used by astronomers, which is simply a day number. The reason it's universal is that it was designed that way; three calendar cycles coincided on Julian day 0.

Unfortunately this calendar is a bit cumbersome for ordinary use.

It might be interesting to use Trinity Day (July 16, 1945 AD) or Tranquillity Day (July 20, 1969 AD) as an origin for a new calendar. After all, events of high historical significance occurred on both dates.

wasn't it the Council of Niceae in the 400's that decided upon the christian calendar - not the Romans?

that's embarrassing!!! I'm quite sure they told me at university that Christian Era is due to monk Dionysius Exiguus, who lived only between V and VI centuries, while in Niceae (... 325, a little before our monk, if I remember well ;)) the rule to fixing Easter was finally established; but I never read Nicea documents, indeed. But I'm quite sure other counts should existed, and I'm very interested in chronology - where do you find this information? :)

Sounds like a pretty accurate forecast :)

[NB Yes, I know it's only Northern Ireland currently, but a century or so ago the UK included all of Ireland].

Unless we take the King Arthur mythology instead when he supposedly united a land of the Britons.

From the roots of the mythology I'd suggest this included England, Wales, at least the lower half of Scotland and also Brittany - though later versions have him conquering all kinds of places.

Gramm, it seems rather silly for Roman leadership to make up documentation about someone they executed, isn't it?

So what's the stardate today, anyway?

Isn't that part of the problem - the Romans didn't make any mention of anyone being the son of god, and given how superstitious they were as a group, it rather points to the fact that there was nothing to record?

Isn't that part of the problem - the Romans didn't make any mention of anyone being the son of god, and given how superstitious they were as a group, it rather points to the fact that there was nothing to record?

Not convinced by that, the Romans were very inward looking. This was something happening in an outer community, I can't see any reason why they would have recorded what to them was just another crucifixion. We know nothing about the lives of those outside of Roman communities during their reign in Britain, for example, other than that they existed separately and without mingling.

No need to presume they indulged in others' superstitions as well as their own - they wouldn't be such a proud conquering race if that was the case.