Old Pan/NEL books - complete list of titles?

hegg

Hello there.

I've had a look through the board for older threads that might cover this, but I couldn't find anything. If I've missed a trick though, please let me know.

Something I've been trying to pin down for a while now that you might be able to help me with - there are a few sets of books that I really, really like (aesthetically more than anything), and I'd like to get a complete breakdown of exactly how many titles were published in each.

The two main ranges I'm particularly interested in are:

• Pan SF books with silver blocked title/author on the cover, title in colour on the spine, author in black.
  • New English Library 'Four Square Science Fiction' books, with green and white headers, green spine.

Would anyone happen to know (or be able to point me in the direction of) a list/source of all of the books published in these ranges?

There are a couple of others I'm interested in, but I'll see how this goes first.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: ah, looks like I can't add images until my post count is higher...that's a shame. Well, I guess if my descriptions aren't good enough above I'll have to revisit this when I can add some examples.

Yes! Cheers for the help.

Well, that NEL Four Square cover is spot on, yes, that's the range I meant.

The Pan one you've got isn't the exact one I was thinking of, but it is one of the others that I was going to ask about in due time anyway!

I'm a post or two away from being able to post pictures I think, so I'll drop back in soon and add an example of the Pan book that I was originally after.

I know the Pan ones you mean. Arthur c. Clarke was produced in this range. I have 5-6 of his from this imprint. Also some Robert Silverberg, bob Shaw etc. they were on the shelves in my teen years as I recall (I.e. 1980's)

I know the Pan ones you mean. Arthur c. Clarke was produced in this range. I have 5-6 of his from this imprint. Also some Robert Silverberg, bob Shaw etc. they were on the shelves in my teen years as I recall (I.e. 1980's)

Yep, that's the stuff. Also a lot of Stableford, some Heinlein, Priest and Simak.

I've started to put some pinterest boards together, of all of the different covers I can find for the ranges I've mentioned. Just a WIP at the moment, but when it's a bit more full (and when I can share links), I'll post them here for anyone to look at if they want, and to hopefully get further contributions to help fill in any gaps.

Oh, 15 posts means I can post pictures I think..

This is an example of the the 'silver' Pan range I've been referring to:
gyts.jpg

Yes, I have also wondered what the full list was for the Pans - I shall try and put together at least a partial list in due course. You're right, Priest was definitely also covered. Incidentally, the Bob Shaw I have in the list "Wreath of Stars", has not a silver background the author and title, but a copper-coloured background; otherwise identical. Wierd!

Here is a list of the Pans. I don't know if it includes all the titles they printed, but its a pretty full list I think. It's interesting how much Priest, Shaw, Stableford, Cowper and Holdstock there is, with only a smattering of some other very well known names. Its was an Anglophile printing by the look of it...

Anthology (Ed. Aldiss & Harrison) – Decade the 1940’s, Decade the 1950’s
Anthology (Ed. Holdstock & Priest) – Stars of Albion
Anthology (Ed. Priest)- Anticipations
Anthology (Ed. Knight) – 100 Years of Science fiction (Books. 1 & 2)
Arthur C. Clarke – The Deep Range, A Fall of Moondust, Imperial Earth, Childhood’s End
Bob Shaw – Orbitsville, A Wreath of Stars, Medusa’s Children, Ship of Strangers, Who Goes There?, Vertigo, Cosmic Kaleidoscope
Robert Sheckley – Options
Ae van Vogt – The Anarchistic Colossus
Theodore Sturgeon – Case and the Dreamer
Harlan Ellison – Dangerous Visions (Ed.), Again Dangerous Visions (Ed.), Approaching Oblivion
Brian Aldiss – The Eighty Minute Hour, Frankenstein Unbound
Christopher Priest – Indoctrinaire, An Infinite Summer, Fugue for a Darkening Island, A Dream of Wessex
Brian Stableford – The Fenris Device, Swan Song, The Paradise Game, Rhapsody in Black, Halcyon Drift, War Games, Promised Land
Robert Silverberg – Downward to the Earth, Capricorn Games, The Second Trip
Vonda McIntyre – The Exile Waiting
Philip K. Dick – A Maze of Death
Michael Coney – Charisma, Brontomek!, Hello Summer Goodbye
Richard Cowper – Clone, The Road to Corlay, The Custodians, The Twilight of Briareus, Profundis
Robert Heinlein – The Puppet Masters, The Green Hills of Earth
Robert Holdstock – Earthwind, Eye Among the Blind, Where the Time Winds Blow
Alfred Bester – Starburst, The Dark Side of the Earth
Steve Wilson – The Lost Traveller
Frederick Pohl & Jack Williamson – Farthest Star

Thanks so much for the responses everyone, and Bick - a special thanks for that comprehensive list!

About a week ago I started playing around with Pinterest, and created a few boards for the different sets of covers that I've been asking about. The Pan 'silver' one is here if anyone fancies taking a look: Pan 'Silver' SF covers. It's a WIP at the moment, as one or two of the images aren't great quality, and by the looks of it I'm still missing quite a few from your list Bick, so I'm going to revisit that tonight and see if I can track them down. Between the ones I've already got and your list, I wonder if that's all of them...maybe I'll ask that 'PAN fan' you mentioned JunkMonkey.

Over time I'm going to add to these pinterest boards as and when I find new covers. If anyone spots an omission please feel free to tell me. Next up I think I'll be focusing on the green NEL Four Square books that I mentioned before.

Thanks all!

Ok, done re: Pan 'silvers'. There are at least (including a few 'copper' variants)...64 books! That's a lot more than I was expecting.

Of your list Bick, I couldn't find anything for Anticipations by Priest, or War Games by Stableford, but I'll keep an eye out. Oh, and I ended up finding a variant cover for The Shape of Sex to Come which didn't make the final cut it seems, but was on the artists website still.

The real job now is actually finding physical copies of these! All in good time. But this is a great start, and I've enjoyed putting the board together showing off all of the covers.

Cool! I'm pretty skint at the mo, but will take you up on that at some point in the future if you still have it.

I'm not a Readitswapit member (and must confess to not knowing about it actually), but I'm going to have a look today and check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Funnily enough I picked up two of these Pans yesterday in a used book store. Vonda McIntyre's Dreamsnake (which despite being a Hugo winner doesn't seem to be in print at present!) and Bob Shaw's Medusa's Children.